Problemchild

Terra Scorcher Tidy Up

It's nice that we can now mention MCI decals and TBG bodies on this forum.  Years ago this was verboten.  I still do try to use vintage original bodies and decals most of the time but definitely like having TBG and MCI available as options/resources.

Nice Terra Scorcher resto BTW.  I love that buggy.

• Thanks 1

that looks absolutely stunning!

love what you did with masking the black side vents... should've thought of that as I backed mine with black anyway.

yeah the mci stickers were ace - my only gripe is that the backing paper was also white! maybe its just my eyes but the white stickers were very difficult to trim.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, MockTurtle said:

yeah the mci stickers were ace - my only gripe is that the backing paper was also white! maybe its just my eyes but the white stickers were very difficult to trim.

Yep I had the exact same issue.  Here are the leftover decals from a Saint Dragon I just finished with TBG body and MCI decals...

IMG_2666.JPG

Yeah agree white on white is hard 

I use an angle poise lamp from ikea that was about £6 and that allows me to get a good reflect nicely 

plus I’ve realised I need some glasses for that close up (I’m gutted)

JJ

Just got my replacement / reworked stickers from MCI 

the dude is fantastic

bXk6gsi.jpg

The font is so much more of a match to the original :)

JJ

• Like 3

Oh man I might have to convert the Thunder Shot I just bought to Terra Scorcher! That looks amazing!

On 12/13/2019 at 8:52 AM, Problemchild said:

Thanks guys 

it looks superb it really does 

just got these printed out 

DROMxXe.jpg

oUJnXy7.jpg

JJ

Where did you get those? I'm taking apart the entire chassis and ordering all the parts I need. I know I need an a5!

I’ve just stumbled across this thread as I’ve almost finished recommissioning mine from 1989 ish. I’ve stripped the shell (which I painted very badly 30 odd years ago!) which was painted in PS-16, and have both ps-16 (as I’m about to do a Subaru....) and also ps-4 paint, as this was the original colour for the Terra Scorcher per this thread - and I’m agonising over which colour to go for! 

OP - any regrets with the (correct) colour change - as it’s exactly what I’m dealing with.

Incidentally - I found this thread as I was looking for ideas to repaint the driver. You did a really lovely job! As also mentioned, a replacement cover is indeed only £8 but I’ve spent about three hours so far removing the paint from mine, so I can try to keep (some) original bits!

The other answer to this first world problem/serious life dilemma is to copy you completely and buy another shell!! I’d also noticed the rear window - and might use Tamiya smoke on it.... not sure on that bit though. 

Thanks!

@Golden sorry for the delay - zero regrets about going to the original blue - it’s stunning. And when backed with a graphite I was able to add depth and have the dark areas painted by masking - win win

JJ

So to finish this off - and make it into my childhood car .... it needed a dyna tech 01 R

managed to pick one up through a member on here that was in excellent condition but missing a decal :)

Y0bxQY1.jpg

QJgosqM.jpg

xyWUzBt.jpg

so I ordered a replacement foil decal from Nathaneal at MCI and dug out the soldering iron 

I think it turned out great 

MaiGmIn.jpg

GvirPSt.jpg

and fitted it into the terra scorcher -  ever to be seen again

hEmDnbG.jpg

now because I was a pauper child - I only ever had 1 tamiya at a time and I sold the terra scorcher on and maybe because the motor was tucked away, I forgot it was in there 

oh well :(

And also because I bought all my tamiya second hand, I didn’t see any of them as truly mine - but they are now 

JJ

Nice! 

thanks for the reply my too - I’ve actually bought a re re shell which I’ll paint in PS4 - but have (today) just painted the original shell in ps59. I stripped it a few weeks ago and was waiting to see if it clouded up, but it’s all fine (I used methylated spirit....). While I did a pretty average job of brush-painting it all those years ago (in what looks close, but not quite ps16 as it’s a touch more turquoise to my eyes) I did an even worse job of cutting the shell.... managed to file bits of it flat (!) but it’ll be the runner shell with the re re shell as the shelf shell....

I have some mci decals so will stick those on and paint the driver and post some pics. 

• Like 1