biggmn100

Best Tamiya chassis for Rally car?

If your running on deep grass then it’s true a xv01 or any 1/10 is not going to cut it. 

Have you considered the Traxxas rally chassis? It’s just a Slash 4x4 with a rally body on it. No you won’t get your WRX from traxxas and I don’t know if that’s even possible in that size/shape. The Traxxas will be a solid, tough and reliable vehicle with good parts and aftermarket support. Yes these are probably more than you want to spend but remember it’s complete, assembled just add a battery. 

Tamiya made some TGX/TGS sized WRX shells but those are not quite big enough for a SCT sized chassis, and are rare and vintage thus have the additional applied to their price tag if you can find one. The body alone is likely to be in the $150+ region. 

There is some China RC 1/8 Subaru WRX “STYLE” shells about (they are not licensed products, don’t contain any Subaru stickers) which might fit the bill though. 

Kyosho did make a 1/8 licensed WRX rally car. But I imagine a body shell for one would again be more than your prepared to spend on a whole car. The shell is possibly slightly bigger than a SCT. 

Good luck anyway, it’s a difficult project to get exactly what you need, particularly because the budget is very thin.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Juls1 said:

If your running on deep grass then it’s true a xv01 or any 1/10 is not going to cut it. 

Have you considered the Traxxas rally chassis? It’s just a Slash 4x4 with a rally body on it. No you won’t get your WRX from traxxas and I don’t know if that’s even possible in that size/shape. The Traxxas will be a solid, tough and reliable vehicle with good parts and aftermarket support. Yes these are probably more than you want to spend but remember it’s complete, assembled just add a battery. 

Tamiya made some TGX/TGS sized WRX shells but those are not quite big enough for a SCT sized chassis, and are rare and vintage thus have the additional applied to their price tag if you can find one. The body alone is likely to be in the $150+ region. 

There is some China RC 1/8 Subaru WRX “STYLE” shells about (they are not licensed products, don’t contain any Subaru stickers) which might fit the bill though. 

Kyosho did make a 1/8 licensed WRX rally car. But I imagine a body shell for one would again be more than your prepared to spend on a whole car. The shell is possibly slightly bigger than a SCT. 

Good luck anyway, it’s a difficult project to get exactly what you need, particularly because the budget is very thin.

I am purposely keeping the budget very small, since i know that it wont be used much, and, im not one to throw money at something that will sit on a shelf, especially given that i have multiple SCT's, buggies, truggies, and monster trucks from Arrma, DHK, Losi, Kyosho, and Team Associated, and, since they do get used quite frequently, i would rather keep money in the budget for those vehicles. As for the Traxxas, and this is just my personal opinion, but, after seeing how often they break, from friends who have them, and how often they need to be repaired and upgraded, i personally wouldnt own one. I have looked all over Ebay, and the only WRX Bodies i find are 1/10TH scale for the 200MM on road cars. Ive never seen a 1/8TH body anywhere, except the one a friend of mine has, that he has had for almost 6 years, and isnt available anymore.

@biggmn100 If you want the rally look with proper ground clearance, there is a slightly left field option. The Maverick Strada RX is basically their 4wd 1/10 scale buggy with a larger 1/8 fiesta wrx style body. Either get the maverick, or if you want to go Tamiya, pick up a TT02B Neo Scorcher or Dual Ridge, or a Manta Ray Rerelease and put the Maverick shell on one of those. It's designed for 250mm wide, 270mm wheelbase chassis which is a 1/10th scale buggy.

https://images.app.goo.gl/XArpfCvyUCvFJ7sY6

8 hours ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

@biggmn100 If you want the rally look with proper ground clearance, there is a slightly left field option. The Maverick Strada RX is basically their 4wd 1/10 scale buggy with a larger 1/8 fiesta wrx style body. Either get the maverick, or if you want to go Tamiya, pick up a TT02B Neo Scorcher or Dual Ridge, or a Manta Ray Rerelease and put the Maverick shell on one of those. It's designed for 250mm wide, 270mm wheelbase chassis which is a 1/10th scale buggy.

https://images.app.goo.gl/XArpfCvyUCvFJ7sY6

Everywhere i have looked, the Maverick cars arent available anymore though. That was my first idea, when i started looking into this, until i found that noone carries them, anywhere.

How dead set are you on running on grass?  To me grass, unless it's cut really short, is just a nuisance to drive on.  It bogs most vehicles down, and can overheat the motor and ESC from all the drag. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, 78Triumph said:

How dead set are you on running on grass?  To me grass, unless it's cut really short, is just a nuisance to drive on.  It bogs most vehicles down, and can overheat the motor and ESC from all the drag. 

I don't have much choice, since, if you look at the pic i posted, that is the only area we can run RC cars at anywhere near us. This area is more into bike parks and skate parks, and we aren't allowed to use them to run our cars on, so, we are limited to strictly the area out back of the house. Its covered in grass, weeds, gravel, tree stumps, and rocks.