Sign in to follow this  
Saito2

Super Astute, keep or sell

As mentioned in previous post, I have an extra Super Astute. The chassis is assembled but the body isn't painted...yet. I could really use some money for a desired Turbo Optima purchase, not to mention the forthcoming Ultima. I'm wondering if $180 plus shipping is in the realm of possibility. That's over $100 less than I paid for it but I know I'll take a beating. To plow forward, keeping it and making it a runner, I've still got to source a low profile servo (no idea on what one cost) and a motor (as the motor shaft on the Torque Tuned I planned on running is too short) so more money has to be thrown in (the hole deepens). Do I try to pull the chute and get out at a loss or throw more money down the hole?

I'd keep it, you may never be able to get one back at the same price should you change your mind. Things like servos/ESC and motors can always be swapped around to other cars to lessen the $$ impact 

You guys crack me up :lol:. I just keep putting money into this already overpriced buggy (sorry, I feel something like the Top Force is an extremely better value, but then again, its not a Super Astute). I just wonder if I'll ever see the bottom, lol. I hope its worth it. I wish I could unload some other stuff for Ultima money, but nothing moves here in the US.

While I understand the disappointment with the Super Astute - I really wish that the re-release came with decent shocks, real turnbuckles, a full bearing set, etc. - having run mine quite a bit, the buggy is far better than I had expected. As far as I'm concerned, it's a definite keeper.

Keep it! Even though I had an issue with the trans that I've since sorted, I don't understand all the criticism.  It's as released in the 90s, and yes they are the same criticisms it faced then as well and it was still a great buggy then and it is one now as well.  It should have turn buckles, Hicaps, and bearings. But than it's the same price as an Egress/Avante and everyone would say it's over priced. 

I'm not sure why the thought is that the top force is a better buggy value, although I have one and love it too. It faced the same criticisms the Super Astute did, plastic shocks (even cheaper ones with fixed pistons), lack of ball bearings, and no turn buckles. 

For me the lack of bearing, turnbuckles, and metal shocks isn't an issue. CVAs were and are very good, brass bearing while not as pretty they aren't plastic and get the job done, and no turn buckles meh I've got big hands and those small wrenches are a pain I have no problem popping a ball cup off. 

The Astute Family and Too Force cars are amazing, I'm glad this is a discussion we can currently have!!!!

3 hours ago, GTodd said:

I'm not sure why the thought is that the top force is a better buggy value, although I have one and love it too. It faced the same criticisms the Super Astute did, plastic shocks (even cheaper ones with fixed pistons), lack of ball bearings, and no turn buckles. 

You're correct. The Top Force did get flack in some magazines back in the day. I attribute this to not knowing about the soon-to-be-released Evo version at the time. With that in perspective, the Top Force, being more mid-level, seems appropriately equipped. 

Being 4wd and 2wd may be a bit apples and oranges but there are a few things to consider. Both the TF and SA feature FRP chassis, the TF actually getting dual decks. Both have plastic CVAs. Both lack turnbuckles. Both have bodies with undertrays. Both feature standard non-reinforced ABS and PC plastics throughout virtually the whole build. Both have something more than standard going on with the drivetrain, the SA having a slipper clutch and the TF have dual ball diffs. The SA does have bearings except for the front wheels while the TF is strictly bronze bushings, however the TF has a higher parts count due to the 4wd (with a decent prop shaft as well and front universals). 

So, considering all of the above, why is the Super Astute $70 to $100 more expensive than the Top Force? That's why I feel the Top Force is a better value. Same grade of parts, with a higher parts count at a cheaper price. 

1 hour ago, Saito2 said:

You're correct. The Top Force did get flack in some magazines back in the day. I attribute this to not knowing about the soon-to-be-released Evo version at the time. With that in perspective, the Top Force, being more mid-level, seems appropriately equipped. 

Being 4wd and 2wd may be a bit apples and oranges but there are a few things to consider. Both the TF and SA feature FRP chassis, the TF actually getting dual decks. Both have plastic CVAs. Both lack turnbuckles. Both have bodies with undertrays. Both feature standard non-reinforced ABS and PC plastics throughout virtually the whole build. Both have something more than standard going on with the drivetrain, the SA having a slipper clutch and the TF have dual ball diffs. The SA does have bearings except for the front wheels while the TF is strictly bronze bushings, however the TF has a higher parts count due to the 4wd (with a decent prop shaft as well and front universals). 

So, considering all of the above, why is the Super Astute $70 to $100 more expensive than the Top Force? That's why I feel the Top Force is a better value. Same grade of parts, with a higher parts count at a cheaper price. 

You have to remember the Top Force components have been in production nearly non stop since it came out. Gear boxes, suspension arms, gears, etc have been around since it's inception. There isn't any development costs to recoup. The Astute hasn't been around since 94ish. Nothing has been around since then that's used it's gearbox , chassis, suspension, etc.  Plus Tamiya modified the gearbox a little bit. I'm guessing some design costs are being passed along. 

My missus said to me today “can you sell all these cars” 

i said “no or course I can’t” haha

JJ

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

54 minutes ago, GTodd said:

PS, don't sell!!! I love the Astutes!

Really? You are quite subtle about it. ;). Ok, ok. I'll take your advice. I won't sell.

I've decided to let this go. There has been so much negativity and juvenile name-calling surrounding the topic of this buggy that I've been unfortunately involved with that I really don't want to look at it let alone drive it. Its up for sale in the 48 States. If anyone is interested, PM me. 

edit: Now sold.

On 10/5/2019 at 8:05 AM, Problemchild said:

My missus said to me today “can you sell all these cars” 

i said “no or course I can’t” haha

JJ

Funny, mine said that too, she also asked ,what would be the most expensive car i have 😬