Sign in to follow this  
Killajb

Tamtech Buggy Champ (GB-02) Dampers

Greetings Everyone,

I have a dilemma..  I am in search of replacement oil dampers for my beloved Tamtech Buggy Champ.  I had a set of 3 Racing oil dampers installed on it, and shipped  the item from USA to my new home in Japan.  Welp.. the good ole' USPS was kind enough to damage the packaging to the extent that one rear damper popped off and went missing.  

I've tried to fins a replacement of similar size to no avail.  # Racing doesn't carry the product any more and all other sources who used to sell them are out-of-stock.  I'm at the point where I'd even purchase a set of expensive (and perhaps less attractive) Aeration Dampers from Tamiya for the Tamtech if I could find any of those.  No luck there either..

I anyone has a source or an alternative, my GB-02 and I would greatly appreciate it.

Have a look at Tamico. They are showing #40539 in stock at €15 per pair.

Thank you kindly for your reply Scouser.  I do believe that those are the front shocks, and no rears are available.  

Yeah, you are right. Sorry bud, my bad. 

Have you thought about Losi Mini T shocks? From what I remember when I raced my GB02, the shocks were very similar length to those of the Losi.

The rear dampers are 68 mm measuring (center-to-center of ball cup).  Fronts are 57 mm.

P_20191006_193134[3554].jpg

P_20191006_193206[3553].jpg

Maybe you should try Kyosho Mini Inferno oil shocks IHW-2006SS. They might be to long for the front but for the rear they should suit. I have used them for different projects. Working pretty good and the are cheap.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Kyosho-Oldruckstossdampfer-Oil-Shock-Set-Mini-Inferno-all-1-16-IHW-2006SS/223494517743?epid=2254432509&hash=item34094fb3ef:g:bnsAAOxyshFRfPaJ

Thank you for the suggestion Aerobert.  I've owned the entire Mini Inferno lineup (Mini Inferno, Inferno ST and that LARV based on the Mini Inferno) at one point, and indeed the shocks were always very nice.  

I'm looking to have my GB-02 Buggy champ race-ready, but as dapper as a shelf-queen.. which means I'd like to have matching dampers front and rear.  I'm patient, willing to wait until the right bundle or combination of options comes along to achieve this.  

For example..  the Mini LST dampers may be a tad bit short (and larger in diameter) as opposed to the original 3Racing dampers used on the GB-02, but for the rears the dampers don't have to thread between the trailing arm suspension links and the chassis like the front dampers do.  While the Tamiya Aeration damper rears (what a name for shocks.. eh?) aren't available the damper shafts are.  I may be able to just use the longer shafts to extend the length of the Mini LST dampers if they are of the same diameter.  Worth the price of an experiment I guess..  

• Like 1

The MLST dampers arrived and it looks promising.  Larger diameter makes for better dampening effect, and the springs are soft enough to be just right when the collars are backed off all the way.  The blue anodizing is a slightly lighter color but when looking at the car in person you really don't notice it.  I'm happy this worked!  And now I have two extra dampers for the rear as spares.

P_20191109_194503.jpg

P_20191109_194411.jpg

• Like 2