TDanny

Two ESCs instead of DMD

Hi Guys,

I used to have full op Leopard 2 tanks but sold them ages ago... Now I'm planning to build an Abrams but to be honest I don't really care about multi function controls. My plan would be to buy a display version and make it RC. 

Because I only want the tank to run without any other functions, (like older Tamiya motorized versions...) I would choose cheaper electronics for it. Now the only problem is that the Abrams like Tamiya modern tanks uses one motor for rideing and the other only for turning. This way I can't use a cheaper version electronics like the Sherman DMD or so... But I don't want to spend a lot of cash on the Abrams electronic boards.

I found out that connecting two ESCs to the receiver could work. One for the cruising motor and the other for the turning motor. Could it work if I disconnect the + and ground cable from one ESC? And of course zero out the break function to work properly.

What do you think?

Thanks in advance,

Daniel

I don't see why it wouldn't work. I have a cheap tank chassis witha  motor for each track and used an ESC for each and then the channel mixing on the Fkysky i6 so one stick with full movement controls them so you can make the tank do anything. I can't think of a reason that same setup wouldn't work just because one motor controls steering and one controls drive.

The ESC I used were about NZD7 each from Banggood too, it really was very cheap to set up

On 10/3/2019 at 9:59 PM, TDanny said:

Could it work if I disconnect the + and ground cable from one ESC?

Just disconnect the + wire from the second ESC, leaving ground and signal connected.

Just fit some normal gearboxes and then run one esc.

Of you run two esc it’ll drive like a real tank. Both sticks forwards - forwards, one stick forward and one back, pivot turn?