Moonraker1

23 hours ago, Moonraker1 said:

But just to clarify upgrading to Nimh batteries with a brushed motor and MSC is OK and is not problematic as I have read on other forums/websites?

Nope, you'll be fine. Batteries don't "push" current at the motor; motors "pull" current from the battery. As long as you stay at the same DC voltage (which you will, with a 6-cell NiMH pack) the capacity of the battery doesn't matter.

The only possible issue I can see is heat build-up from the longer run times, but you can minimize that by installing ball bearings to reduce drag (a good idea on any model, new or old) and avoiding prolonged running on the low/middle speeds, to keep the resistors cool.

• Like 1

I've decided to buy a SkyRC S65 battery charger to future proof myself for battery upgrades. But I have noticed that it doesn't come with any battery leads, so what leads do I require for my Tamiya batteries?

I will be buying 2000-3000mah Nimh batteries as recommended. So which make do I buy, does anyone have any experience with Vapextech batteries?

• Like 1

That's a bummer.  iMax B6 came with all the battery leads.  

But SkyRC looks good.  Assuming you have Tamiya connectors, you need XT60 to Tamiya.  Make sure if you need male or female on both ends of the wire.  

NiMH batteries have been around, so I would just get any brand.  I've heard that NiMH batteries are made by only few factories in Asia.  Basically they are all the same.  Good battery packs were "matched."  Each cell was charged and discharged a few times. The voltage and amp recorded, and then similar cells were paired.  As you can imagine, that's a lot more work than just soldering the cells.  Since LiPo is available, nobody spends time and money to make $100 NiMH packs anymore.  Simple luck decides what you get. There shouldn't be much difference between brands.  

It will start with NiMh.

Next will be ESC.

Then LiPo.

Then brushless.

And 2.4GHz somewhere in between.

New chassis.

Then everything you took out your original chassis will go back in. :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2