acprc

Koji Sanada 1990 IFMAR World Champion Mugen Super Sport Replica Build

Been ill this week so not much progress however the stickers arrived.

Look good on the servo.

IMG-6402.jpg

• Like 4

Not much progress this week on the Mugen due to me being sick as a dog! Still more to come though as parts arrive and get fitted.

The second servo with my home made label has been fitted, just got to put the RX in its cover, tidy the wires and then fit the linkages. It's clear that Mugen didnt use the standard kit linkages so in this case I will get them as close as possible.

IMG-6441.jpg

I will need to drill the fuel cap as it has a cable tie to aid opening. You will notice I now have a better cable tie on the battery plate as well. Crucially its a reusable one where the last one wasn't.

I have also spotted a couple of other things I need to change this week but that will be in the next update.

• Like 1

Correct front tyres now fitted and very slowly now getting there

IMG-6450.jpg

Hi Adam,

Good to see your project moving forward nicely ;)

Not clearly shown on any available picture from that race as far as i remember, but it is written in all articles about Bangkok 1990 and later on in articles about Super Sport version the fact that Mugen official cars in Bangkok were using new front brake system.

1 hour ago, alcam9 said:

Hi Adam,

Good to see your project moving forward nicely ;)

Not clearly shown on any available picture from that race as far as i remember, but it is written in all articles about Bangkok 1990 and later on in articles about Super Sport version the fact that Mugen official cars in Bangkok were using new front brake system.

Hi,

All the pictures I have don't show the front brake system fitted. Later in 1990 though the cars changed quite a bit. They were fitted with prototype aluminum rear arms so I would imagine the brake system was developed, fitted and then released. 

1 hour ago, alcam9 said:

Another question I had : are front wheels identical to rear ones, or smaller ?

Identical. I think the picture angle makes the fronts look bigger, they aren't. The Competition wheels set are the same front to rear. I have seen them in three colours, white, off green colour and orange.

A small update on the build. Not being in work due to COVID-19 has meant I have stopped the work on the alloy air filter mount and as normal with my builds I am awaiting a few parts.

I have managed to get the throttle servo linkage replicated and now just need to attach the push rods. Not perfect match to the race car but visually good for me.

IMG-6510.jpg

I have also started to work on the decal set. Never done this before and slowly working my way through the ones that I need, modifying them as I go.

2020-04-07-08-50-11-Affinity-Designer.jp

I am learning however and this will be a skill thats useful going forward. I also think I may of finally found some grey exhaust tubing and so when that arrives I will get the exhaust mounted. Slow progress but getting there.

• Like 1

A little bit more progress. Getting into having to match difficult fonts now!

2020-04-07-15-47-51-Affinity-Designer.jp

Hi Adam, just a quick one. Sanada-san had a Machine 1 remote and not a Machine A. This has also an impact on the sticker. Bye, Alex 😉

8 hours ago, alcam9 said:

Hi Adam, just a quick one. Sanada-san had a Machine 1 remote and not a Machine A. This has also an impact on the sticker. Bye, Alex 😉

Hi Alex,

You are almost right. Koji Sanada did indeed use a Sanwa Machine-1 transmitter and there are various pictures of him on the podium using it

Machine1.jpg

However, his car displayed Machine-A decals

MachineA.jpg

4 minutes ago, alcam9 said:

Sure this car was Sanada’s one ? He used the number 1 at some stage ?

You are correct, it is Sanada’s car, with red neck. But it is non sense wearing Machine A stickers and using Machine 1 radio... 😉

How far with the custom aluminum air filter bend Adam ? Thanks

Alex

6 minutes ago, alcam9 said:

Sure this car was Sanada’s one ? He used the number 1 at some stage ?

Yes, its has the red nose, full picture below when badged as Number 1

Sanada-Red-Nose.jpg

and also when badged as No 7 it still has Machine A on the back

sanada-No-7.jpg

On 2/27/2020 at 4:22 PM, acprc said:

Hi,

All the pictures I have don't show the front brake system fitted. Later in 1990 though the cars changed quite a bit. They were fitted with prototype aluminum rear arms so I would imagine the brake system was developed, fitted and then released. 

None of the Bangkok pictures clearly allow identification of front brake system, due to air filter hiding this area of the car. But this does not mean it was not already used then ? And again, Christophe Rolland articles do mention several times usage of front break system ?

5 minutes ago, acprc said:

Yes, its has the red nose, full picture below when badged as Number 1

Sanada-Red-Nose.jpg

and also when badged as No 7 it still has Machine A on the back

sanada-No-7.jpg

You win ! 😉

Always find your builds an inspiration and fascinating - and this is one of the best. The detail and effort you go to is astonishing! Really superb work :) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, jonboy1 said:

Always find your builds an inspiration and fascinating - and this is one of the best. The detail and effort you go to is astonishing! Really superb work :) 

Thanks very much, appreciate the comment. Hope the hands are recovering!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Been working on a few little bits and pieces on the Mugen. I realised I had built a few parts incorrectly to how they were on the race car so adjusted them.

I recently purchased a new heated ultrasonic cleaner so set about cleaning up the sticky fuel filter. The race car used the Mugen filter so after stripping it down and 30 mins in machine cleaner at 50 degrees it was clean. New seals and it will soon be on the car.

IMG-6025.jpg

Managed to find some grey exhaust tubing so the exhaust is now mounted, worked a bit more on the linkages and did some more work on the decal set. More pictures Sunday when its a bit brighter.

• Like 4

Covid, lockdowns and working from home has slowed things down a bit but managed to get more work done on the decals. Pretty much just two left to do now. One is the rear wing decal (but I dont know the company name) and there is one on the side pod to decifer.

2020-05-01-17-23-35-Affinity-Designer.jp

So apologies to everyone who is following the build, its been a while since I posted. Life, working from home, COVID etc has kept me busy in other ways and I havent been able to update. However, here goes.

The car looks like this today

IMG-6590.jpg

IMG-6591.jpg

Having made it to my storage location I managed to get the rear tyres and get them fitted. The race cars used the original Mugen Sport tyres part numbers SA-24H and SA-25H. You need to be careful as the later tyres like the SQ blocks are actually a different size and dont fit well. Anyway, the correct tyres are now mounted on all 4 wheels.

I also sprayed the rear deck louvers black. Its clear from some of the race car pictures that this was the case.

IMG-6592.jpg

The alloy air filter mount is on hold due to me working at home, i will reproduce a few but its just had to be put on hold for the moment.

Now onto my biggest source of frustration, the car markings. Its clear from a recent document I was sent that there were multiple bodies for the two drivers. As they raced in the heats the cars were numbered both on the sides, nose and wing with differing numbers. There were also different decals on the different bodies as well.

What does this mean, well it means I have had to make a decision on which version to replicate and stick to just doing that one! In the longer term It will keep me sane and also get the project finished.

To that end I am sticking to the number 7 car (7 on the body sides and nose) with the red 43 that Koji Sanada raced in the final and won with. That car is this car.

sanada_No_7.jpg

That decision means I needed to tweak a few of the decals on my sheet and also delete a few more. I contacted the Thailand Tourist Board to try and identify the wing logo (on the endplates) but they couldn't help. It will now be left blank pending ever finding out what company it was. I have to remember this was 1990 nearly 30 years ago and I might never know. The sheet now looks like this

sheet-in-may.jpg

So the to do list to finally finish looks like this

Finish the few decals I need for the No 7 Car and get the sheet printed. 

Make the alloy air filter mount (will be done as soon as I get into work normally and can interact with the machinist team).

Make a decision on fuel tube colour and fit some! I think I have a perfect match on the way from Japan.

Finish fitting the throttle linkages

and then its just a few odd bits and she will be done, finally! Perfect replica, maybe not. As close as my patience and ability 30 years later to make, I think so.

• Like 3

Funny how things align. Whilst mulling over how to create some of the missing decals I win two original Sanwa decal sheet in Japan with all the ones I need. That leaves just two I need to create, more progress!

i-img1200x842-1590679008hsfcnu34336.jpg

• Like 5

On 10/20/2019 at 4:30 PM, acprc said:

... and the already painted body

spacer.png

Do you remember which colours you used on the shell?

10 hours ago, Collin said:

Do you remember which colours you used on the shell?

Tamiya French Blue and the red was selected by @jonboy1 but imagine it was a standard Tamiya PS colour. The black for the rear louvers I did afterwards with Halfords Matt Black enamel painted on the outside.