acprc

Koji Sanada 1990 IFMAR World Champion Mugen Super Sport Replica Build

Its such a lovely and friendly colourmix. I prefere bright colours, you can spot the vehicle better. Also the red nose points you the direction to the checkered flag.

Hi Adam,

could you please scan with high resolution the Sanwa stickers please ?

thank you very much in anticipation

alex

Hi Adam,

Could you please scan with high resolution the Sanwa stickers please ? As I believe i will never be able to find original ones like yours.

thank you very much in anticipation

alex

Amazing build. I love your attention to detail. Finding parts for these cars can be very difficult. 

I just messaged you about the special wheel nuts. 

Hi all,

Covid, working from home, other projects etc have meant that progress has been very slow on the Mugen Replica however managed to get a few things done over the weekend. I think the changes will be obvious! Still a few tweaks to do on the decals I designed and a few more to design and reproduce but making progress. Changed the chassis in a few places as well but a few more things to sort.

Very slow progress, too many easier projects to work on!

IMG-6566.jpg

IMG-6567.jpg

IMG-6568.jpg

• Like 5

I have to admit your replica influenced me regarding paint-job on the shell for my latest Dyna Storm project.

mid_ds_098.jpg

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, acprc said:

Hi all,

Covid, working from home, other projects etc have meant that progress has been very slow on the Mugen Replica however managed to get a few things done over the weekend. I think the changes will be obvious! Still a few tweaks to do on the decals I designed and a few more to design and reproduce but making progress. Changed the chassis in a few places as well but a few more things to sort.

Very slow progress, too many easier projects to work on!

IMG-6566.jpg

IMG-6567.jpg

IMG-6568.jpg

Looks stunning mate - love the little changes and details - awesome work as always :) 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Collin said:

I have to admit your replica influenced me regarding paint-job on the shell for my latest Dyna Storm project.

mid_ds_098.jpg

Looks superb

• Like 1

got to say though, from one OCD chap to another - it's really bugging me that the front tyres are shinier than the rears. Can you please sort this? ;):D

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, jonboy1 said:

got to say though, from one OCD chap to another - it's really bugging me that the front tyres are shinier than the rears. Can you please sort this? ;):D

That’s the least of my OCD worries. The whole fact that I simply can’t answer some questions about this build (and probably never will) frustrates me massively. The car is missing the sponsor decals in two places and I simply don’t know what they were or who the company was. I doubt I will ever know.

Added another small touch, the grey and black panels behind the front wheels. These are the original Mugen Sport Kit Decals. easy enough to replicate.

IMG-6581.jpg

@acprc About that mysterios black/white sticker. Do you know anything about it to start inverstigating? Worldcup was 1990, so its 30 years ago and it was in BKK/Thailand.

1 minute ago, Collin said:

@acprc About that mysterious black/white sticker. Do you know anything about it to start investigating? Worldcup was 1990, so its 30 years ago and it was in BKK/Thailand.

Hi,

All I know is that the sticker was a company that helped the Mugen team in Thailand. Koji Sanada told me that they stuck it on the car to say thanks. The team also had them stuck on their team race t-shirts. I have asked Sanada-san again if he can remember what they helped the team with, transport, accommodation, etc.

My guess is it was a transport company in either Thailand or Bangkok that assisted them. There wasn't a robust Internet around in 1990 so finding out who it was will be very hard. I have already tried the Thai Tourist Board with no luck. The original race cars were dismantled (as confirmed by Sanda-san) and the ones in the press photos are just normal Super Sports mocked up (the decal differences on the body are clear).

It will take a miracle to match them I think.

Thats already pretty much you know about. Did you ever got in touch with the organizers of the race event? Probably this unknowen group was involved in organisation somehow?

If I would do anything, then drawing a sticker which just looks like. It will be okay until you solve the quest.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Collin said:

Thats already pretty much you know about. Did you ever got in touch with the organizers of the race event? Probably this unknowen group was involved in organisation somehow?

If I would do anything, then drawing a sticker which just looks like. It will be okay until you solve the quest.

I'm pretty sure its a Tuk-Tuk company or a company that used them. The centre circle is a globe but can't make out the white and black part above (what I think is) a Tuk -Tuk side view. The windscreen rake and visor is quite distinctive of the design.

logo.jpg

I can see a pagoda roof, the blue thing in the center background. ;) (that what you call a globe) If it would be a globe, most likely southeast asia and that looks different.

How did you got the idear of a Tuk-Tuk service?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Collin said:

I can see a pagoda roof, the blue thing in the center background. ;) (that what you call a globe) If it would be a globe, most likely southeast asia and that looks different.

How did you got the idear of a Tuk-Tuk service?

I see what you are saying about the Pagoda roof outline. I think the black shape at the bottom with the three white parts on it is a side view of a Tuk Tuk. I think the rake of the windscreen and the overhang/visor match

HM8YNC.jpg

Got the Tuk-Tuk. Indeed.

But the curved white lines, its triggering a curved road up to the pagoda in my mind.

• Like 1

As you may know, I have also been working on a Sanada Replica.

I had many contacts with the writer/photographer of the French articles showing Super Sport winning car. He does not have original pictures cause it belongs to the magazine... which does not exist anymore. I tried to contact the owner of the magazine at that time, no reply. Heard the material may be with the Belgium printing company of the magazine... who knows.

Then I thought about other ways. 1- try to get in touch with other Mugen Official drivers, especially the second place driver. 2- try to find a way to contact the bangkok track. But apparently does not exist anymore.

I think the biggest chance we have would be to find a media in Thailand to publish the sticker picture and ask who knows about the company. Maybe via the Thailand RC federation ? Facebook is a very powerful tool in that respect.

What surprises me is the fact that apparently we cannot find any other article about the race from other countries than France ?! A quest to find other articles from that period is a very promising route also. Who can help us in this ?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Collin said:

Which month was the World Cup in BKK?

March 1990 I Think.

Large articles published in French magazines in April 1990.

8 minutes ago, Collin said:

Which month was the World Cup in BKK?

Feb 1990

15 minutes ago, alcam9 said:

As you may know, I have also been working on a Sanada Replica.

I had many contacts with the writer/photographer of the French articles showing Super Sport winning car. He does not have original pictures cause it belongs to the magazine... which does not exist anymore. I tried to contact the owner of the magazine at that time, no reply. Heard the material may be with the Belgium printing company of the magazine... who knows.

Then I thought about other ways. 1- try to get in touch with other Mugen Official drivers, especially the second place driver. 2- try to find a way to contact the bangkok track. But apparently does not exist anymore.

I think the biggest chance we have would be to find a media in Thailand to publish the sticker picture and ask who knows about the company. Maybe via the Thailand RC federation ? Facebook is a very powerful tool in that respect.

What surprises me is the fact that apparently we cannot find any other article about the race from other countries than France ?! A quest to find other articles from that period is a very promising route also. Who can help us in this ?

I'm not bothered enough anymore to pursue it. Its about a close a replica as I am going to get and im happy with that.