acprc

Koji Sanada 1990 IFMAR World Champion Mugen Super Sport Replica Build

8 minutes ago, acprc said:

I'm not bothered enough anymore to pursue it. Its about a close a replica as I am going to get and im happy with that.

I am trying to help and contribute as much as you have been helping me, Adam. Thanks a lot, again. And I am sincerely looking forward to see the alloy air filter mount you planned to fabricate for our two replicas.

The search for the company name of the sticker is very exciting on his own. But personally I believe a replica has to be as close from the original as it can possibly be (obviously only based on available articles, pictures and testimonies). That is the reason why I have and will have only one replica project at a time, till I get everything complete. A "RC life's project" for me, yes I do admit. I catched that friendly virus ;)

So I havent done much on the Mugen for a while apart from gathering a few extra parts. Work and Covid have been against me and other priorities have taken over.

However!

A chance encounter has led me to purchase this from the USA.....18 pages and maybe, just maybe it will have some event sponsor details inside!!

IMG-7213.jpg

• Like 5

That’s exciting! I hope you feel find that sponsor detail. I remember when I read this post initially I briefly tried looking for it. It’s those little details that are tough. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mechanic AH said:

That’s exciting! I hope you feel find that sponsor detail. I remember when I read this post initially I briefly tried looking for it. It’s those little details that are tough. 

Heres hoping. Either way a nice item to have with the car.

Probably one of the biggest riddles might be solved soon. I am excited! :)

• Like 1

On 3/21/2021 at 9:35 AM, Collin said:

Probably one of the biggest riddles might be solved soon. I am excited! :)

Hope you found it!

7 hours ago, Mechanic AH said:

Hope you found it!

Not yet. I do however now know the company logo is for a Tuk Tuk company based in Bangkok. I dont expect to ever find the logo due to it being 1990 and they were not an official sponsor. Quite cool to have a program though!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, acprc said:

Not yet. I do however now know the company logo is for a Tuk Tuk company based in Bangkok. I dont expect to ever find the logo due to it being 1990 and they were not an official sponsor. Quite cool to have a program though!

Interesting how a tuk tuk company’s sticker is on it :). Sounds like a tough one unless some enthusiast from Thailand can help out

Hello Adam,

Hope you are doing well.

Could you scan the Official Bangkok program you bought for us please ?

Thanks a lot in anticipation.

alex

So finally,

A long awaited update to the car. Over the Covid Lockdown period I doubled down on my efforts to finally get the car to a point where I was happy to call it done. Even now I am not sure I am however for the time being it is.

The first thing I needed to tackle was the air filter mount. Koji Sanada himself has confirmed that the mount had been made by himself at Mugen and wasn't a commercially available piece. I had toyed with the idea of turning a part from alloy and welding it onto the alloy air filter internal parts but then started to wonder about 3D printing.

I shipped the engine carb, air filter, some pictures and rough measurements to @jonboy1 and he started to model up the part I needed. The first designs were tested but the we got to here:

image.png.ce257f52139a750711389b4cd68db232.png

And then refined to this

710x528-35987085-18882239-1633969661-1-0

and some test prints in plastic done

IMG-8284.jpg

which were then adjusted (cut up).

Finally I bit the bullet and had the part 3D printed in alloy at a cost of £80! A big gamble. However the end result is great and fits perfectly. I will never know how accurate the part is but it certainly looks the part fitted.

IMG-7138.jpg

After that I finally managed to fit two of the missing parts that I had not yet put on. The front brake kit and the front centre connecting rod kit. The linkages were then connected up to look as close to the race car as possible.

IMG-7139.jpg

I think I have managed to get the decal set as close now as I probably ever will however I still have one to design and add. The local company decal that was on the rear wing and nose will however be one that will always elude me.

One other item that I now know needs work is the body colour. I had originally chosen Tamiya French Blue on the balance of probabilities however I know now that is wrong. I know the correct colour based on conversations on the internet and a limited edition Mugen Sport Kit I stumbled across. If I can find another body it is my intention to potentially repaint it again. As I say, finished I think! I have since found a few of the correct new rear spoilers so just need a body now. 

I set out to build a race replica and I think I can now say thats done. A few odd bits, screws, ty-wraps here and there but finally happy to call it finished......for now!

IMG-7137.jpg

IMG-7136.jpg

• Like 8

awesome build! The amount of research and work you've put into getting the details right on this are staggering. Amazing!

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, jonboy1 said:

awesome build! The amount of research and work you've put into getting the details right on this are staggering. Amazing!

No small part in your 3D work but also keeping me sane!

• Haha 1

So with some time on my hands today I decided to turn my attention to the Sanwa Machine 1 transmitter.

Needs some love

IMG-8478.jpg

Tarnished aerial

IMG-8479.jpg

Stripped for cleaning

IMG-8481.jpg

Results to follow later

• Like 4

Shined up nicely!

Just need the plastic screwdriver that clips to the top frame and a new battery box.

IMG-8661.jpg

• Like 4

Small update.

Airtronics in the USA issued the Sanwa Machine A and The Machine 1 as the Airtonics XL2P and CS2P respectively. I picked up a used XL2P in the USA for just $14 delivered and that has given me the missing bits I needed. A good used battery box that works and the missing black plastic clip on screwdriver.

Auction picture

XL2P.jpg

• Like 3

Stunning project! I wasn't aware of it since a few weeks, while cruising my way towards another Sanada replica for months 😊

So far, the only missing parts would be:

- the Toon sport stickers

- a complete uncut battery holder

Would it be possible to discuss it? Your help will be much appreciated 👍

Kind regards from Belgium,

Pierre

Stunning project! I wasn't aware of it since a few weeks, while cruising my way towards another Sanada replica for months 😊

So far, the only missing parts would be:

- the Toon sport stickers

- a complete uncut battery holder

Would it be possible to discuss it? Your help will be much appreciated 👍

Kind regards from Belgium,

Pierre

received_3349997705270282.jpeg

received_782316329770818.jpeg

received_753899139284101.jpeg

• Like 1

Hello,

I'm looking for a mugen super sport:

the Mugen efra 011 muffler,

Novaorssi NOVA 2000 with mugen head  

2 sanwa contes HH servos.

What color is the shell of sanada?

Thank you :) 

Hi guys.. I managed to find the parts I was missing. I just want to know the color of the shell of sanada. does anyone know?

Hi all, the « Sanada Replica Community » has concluded that he used two different bodies, blue and turquoise.