The Twingo Lord

What was your first rc car?

I was lucky, mine was an hpi bullet st flux. And if you could change what you got what would it be? For me it would actually be a Tamiya lunchbox, or some other kit

My first car was the grasshopper. I bought it on layaway at an old  hobby store called Leisure world back in the day in Brampton Ontario.

I was ten years old and remember going in day after day making payments and looking at the box just waiting till it was paid in full to take it home.

• Like 1

Grasshopper...  Stared at the box art for days...

• Like 1

my first was the hornet witch happened to be a birthday present to myself on my 18th brought from beaties wolverhampton and i would not want to change it for another 

• Like 1

marui golden eagle cj7  , but ran that car a few times and lost interest to busy with other things as a teenager and trade it for something ,I can't remember what.

• Like 1

My Nan bought me a Tamiya Midnight pumpkin when i was 10.

32 yrs later the collection only gets bigger 😮

• Like 1

Second hand Hornet I was 11 maybe 12. It was hand painted red and green. I gave a kid at school £35 for it in 1988. That was some serious dough back then.

Just remembered it came with a Hitec Challenger 250 Tx😎

• Like 1

Sears Lobo II. Had a range of about 10 feet.

frontleft_zps67a311b9.jpg

First real kit was a Kyosho Raider painted exactly like this one:

24638460169_e5beb7b5d5_c.jpg

• Like 2

Tamiya Grasshopper. I'd been asking for an RC car for about two years, but my Dad had held off as he didn't want me to get one then lose interest immediately. Eventually I got one when I was about 13. Spent Christmas Day applying the stickers to the bare ABS shell. Spent the next two years abusing it in pretty much every way imaginable. Then, by this time upgraded with proper bearings and a Parma 27T K-Stock motor, I went racing with it for the first time. Out of a field of thirty or so beginners of varying experience levels, I came sixth. That pretty much sold me on racing. After that, the car got treated with a lot more respect until I sold it a couple of years later, having been treated with every upgrade we could find for it. Wouldn't change the car or that experience for anything.

• Like 3

The Marui Big Bear. ^_^

That saw a lot of action. In Those days, given that charging of my only battery took 4 hours, I could run 3 times a day if I timed it right.

Not to mention the nummer of times I tested the range of the transmitter by running the Bear in a straight line away from me, only to have to run after it as offcourse no more range means the servo will keep the speed controller at full speed. :D

Second was the grasshopper, because it was the cheapest Tamiya to be found. But loads of fun too. :lol:

• Like 1

Ansmann virus 2. 1/8 scale nitro wasn't the best starting point! 

spacer.png

My first Tamiya was a Blitzer beetle which honestly I wish I'd started with (maybe stadium blitzer for the polycarb shell) that or a top force! 

• Like 1

my first was a hand me down Rough Rider, my first new kit was a Saint Dragon.  Wish I still had them.

• Like 1

Sand Scorcher from Beatties in Bristol in 1979 I think. All I could afford was one humpback battery pack and a charger with a wind up timer on it. If I rememnber you had to purchase a licence from the post office to use RC in those days!!!

• Like 1

Sand Rover from Beatties in Staines. Christmas 1983.

It’s still my favourite Tamiya.

Very first one was a little red and blue hot rod, with Spider-Man driving. Had a one-button transmitter: it went forward until you pushed the button, then it backed up and turned left. That would have been around 1979, age six.

First full-function was a 1/12 (or maybe 1/14?) scale Lamborghini from Radio Shack, in around 1982. Drove the wheels off that one.

First hobby-grade RC car was a Grasshopper, bought in 1986 with all my own money. I walked a lot of dogs and mowed a lot of lawns to pay for that thing. At the time, I actually wanted either a Wild One or a Kyosho Pegasus; the hobby shop guy talked me out of the Pegasus, and I couldn't wait to save up enough for the Wild One.

Toyota Celica GrB ... it took until I was 32 to get one as when I was young I didn’t have the money and later on found other pastimes.

nikko porsche 928 targa. just like the one below. i google for this image - seeing it again brings backs memories...  got it for christmas, maan i really wanted a tamiya some or other, but i 'spose this was what my folks' budget allowed. was kinda disappointed when i opened the wrapping. but i really did have fun with the nikko. but yes should have looked after it. i did open it up just to see the insides. haha... that's how i usually wrecked my toys...

GgarVnA.jpg

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MockTurtle said:

nikko porsche 928 targa. just like the one below. i google for this image - seeing it again brings backs memories...  got it for christmas, maan i really wanted a tamiya some or other, but i 'spose this was what my folks' budget allowed. was kinda disappointed when i opened the wrapping. but i really did have fun with the nikko. but yes should have looked after it. i did open it up just to see the insides. haha... that's how i usually wrecked my toys...

GgarVnA.jpg

just wanted to add, first hobby grade was the terra scorcher, a few years later.

(man this edit function needs to be fixed - still gives the shakes)

1 hour ago, Yalson said:

I'd been asking for an RC car for about two years, but my Dad had held off as he didn't want me to get one then lose interest immediately.

Instead of giving you something for nothing, you were forced to delay gratification?  Making you tenaciously hold on to your dream for 2 years?  In hopes that you will stick with whatever you set your mind to, when others give up?  

That's a dad I can respect.  

• Like 3

i think it was a Nikko Ford F150 monster truck, and first proper RC car was a Tamiya TT-01 in 2003.

My first rc car was a Porsche looking thing call a R101 performance was pretty poor even back then but on hindsight and thinking back when you buy Woolworths own brand of batteries you're not going to be doing doughnuts and smoking the tyres😄 but my first tamiya back in the late 70s (ish) was the Ford ranger👍

107537703_76716991.jpg

• Like 1