SimonL

Yeah Racing Aluminium Conversion kit

I’ve come across the Yeah Racing Aluminium Conversion kit, which seems to contain the majority of the parts to build a TT-02, with the exception of the bottom plate, the gearing, and some other random parts and screws.

I understand that the usual approach is to buy (or use an existing) TT-02, and then use the Yeah kit to convert it to a stronger model, but has anyone done it the other way round? Bought the kit, and then bought the appropriate spare parts from Tamiya in order to complete the car? Is this practical, or too much hassle?

Upgrading the TT-02 with full aluminum would look nice. Parts that will improve when upgraded to aluminum are the drive shafts, center shaft and cups, steering set, motor mount, knuckles, c-hubs, and rear uprights. Other than that, the rest are bling. It would be a lot cheaper to use YR (Yeah Racing) instead of original Tamiya parts. the prices of aftermarket parts like YR or 3Racing are usually 40-50% cheaper than the Tamiya counterparts.

Alloy shock towers and suspension arms are usually a bad idea. In a crash the shock load is transferred to the next weakest point which would be the gearbox. I would always recommend keeping plastic arms due to the small amount of flex they have.

While avoiding going off your topic, 

I know exactly what your getting at, but no it’s probably not cheaper to buy the missing parts than buy a kit to begin with. You could sit down and work it out, but if or not it’s cheaper will depend on how many other parts not included in the yeah racing kit you intend to buy as upgrades or aftermarket. 

personally I still think you’ll be in front buying a full kit, with the exception of you’ll be left with a box of useless parts. You wallet will likely still be better off though. 

• Thanks 1

I found that when trying to get hold of a neo scorcher shell and decals it was only about £50 more to get the whole car 

you get the motor and ESC too 

ESC - £20

sport tuned - £20

shell - £30

stickers - £15 

JJ

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Juls1 said:

While avoiding going off your topic, 

I know exactly what your getting at, but no it’s probably not cheaper to buy the missing parts than buy a kit to begin with. You could sit down and work it out, but if or not it’s cheaper will depend on how many other parts not included in the yeah racing kit you intend to buy as upgrades or aftermarket. 

personally I still think you’ll be in front buying a full kit, with the exception of you’ll be left with a box of useless parts. You wallet will likely still be better off though. 

Thanks, that’s the sort of feedback I was looking for. Certainly if you go for a TT02 standard kit with body shell etc it would be cheaper to buy the kit and upgrade separately. But I wonder if the same holds true for the TT02RR, which is a more expensive chassis only option and no wheels/motor/shell etc, and whether a kit built up with the Yeah racing kit is better or worse (or just different) compared to a TT02RR....

This is probably not what you want to hear, but a TT02 bone stock is a tougher vehicle  than one adorned with aluminium parts. The benefits of most aluminium components are chiefly cosmetic. The only replacement parts of genuine benefit on a TT02 are an alloy motor mount, propshaft, cv shafts, steel pinion, hydraulic shocks and bearings. Toe in rear hubs are of benefit for straight line stability but I doubt they are any stronger in a big impact.

My own observations from running a TT02 at club level.

Edit:

Add in some adjustable steering links and your done.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bromley said:

This is probably not what you want to hear, but a TT02 bone stock is a tougher vehicle  than one adorned with aluminium parts. The benefits of most aluminium components are chiefly cosmetic. The only replacement parts of genuine benefit on a TT02 are an alloy motor mount, propshaft, cv shafts, steel pinion, hydraulic shocks and bearings. Toe in rear hubs are of benefit for straight line stability but I doubt they are any stronger in a big impact.

My own observations from running a TT02 at club level.

Edit:

Add in some adjustable steering links and your done.

Nope, that’s exactly what I wanted to hear, thanks :) 

If you do want some Yeah Racing parts though, I found that the bundles are often significantly better value than the parts on their own, even if you don't want all the parts in the bundle. For example, I wanted the alloy steering set, heatsink and suspension mounts for my M-07, and I found it cheaper to buy the bundle containing them and some un-needed alloy shock towers and a bumper plate than it was to get just the parts I wanted.

• Like 1