pirtoo

Tyre identification?

I found this picture of a dirty Thunder Shot with what looks like road tyres on the original rims. It could be modern shapeways rims with standard size tyres on it but they don't seem like it... can anyone identify the tyres?

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600-2.jpg

44 minutes ago, didcos said:

Looks like tires from the Kyosho 405 T16 and RS200

Agreed

• Thanks 1

Which seem to be really hard to find now! Ah well, back to the drawing board. I have some hex hub carsons I can put on my Terra/Thunder for testing out at least.

The Kyosho tyres with that style of thread come from their Scale Series & would say Bridgestone Potenza on sidewalls and fit 2" wheels (Hotshot rear) 

But I thought Thundershot used a smaller unique wheel & tyre size, like that on the Falcon/Striker/GH2 rear...?

2" tyres don't fit 

Indeed. I concur with all of the above. The Kyosho Bridgestone Potenza tyres came with a lot of their on-road cars of the early 90s, including the Ultima and Mid saloon conversions like the Corvette ZR-1 and Ferrari F40. They were proper 2" tyres and work perfectly well on 2" rims of all makes. I used to use them to race buggies in our local winter on-road championship (although only in the dry, as they were not much good on wet concrete). I do not know the exact dimensions of original Thundershot wheels, but although they look snug enough there, if they are not 2" diameter they are going to roll off the rims.

Also, the rears look like they are on backwards, as the 'arrow' in the tread on top of the tyre should be facing forwards.