pirtoo

Terra Scorcher/Thunder Shot build... tyres, parts, etc

I might have fallen down the "Oh, I've got all these spares, I can totally build another Thunder Shot to run" after my original body Thunder Shot appears to be turning into a shelf queen. Started inventorying things and seeing what I'd need but I didn't have a front stabiliser and a few other parts and I haven't been able to get front stabilizers other than with partial builds... until I read @Baddon's restore post which included a picture of a box of goodies with extras including front stabilisers.  Next thing I know we're inventorying his box of goodies and I'm taking a chunk of parts I need. Ooops :)  He did have an original chassis cover for a Thunder Shot which can go on my shelf queen and the repro one can go on this new runner.

Time to find another receiver to put in it...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/27/2019 at 11:21 PM, pirtoo said:

Heh. @Yalson it was the bumper, still had the part number on the other side. The plastic was disintegrating, it was so old.

It had an ancient Model Junction price sticker on it, yet you got it from... Italy? I wonder how many countries and transactions it went through before getting back to you?

4 hours ago, pirtoo said:

I might have fallen down the "Oh, I've got all these spares, I can totally build another Thunder Shot to run" after my original body Thunder Shot appears to be turning into a shelf queen. Started inventorying things and seeing what I'd need but I didn't have a front stabiliser and a few other parts and I haven't been able to get front stabilizers other than with partial builds... until I read @Baddon's restore post which included a picture of a box of goodies with extras including front stabilisers.  Next thing I know we're inventorying his box of goodies and I'm taking a chunk of parts I need. Ooops :)  He did have an original chassis cover for a Thunder Shot which can go on my shelf queen and the repro one can go on this new runner.

Time to find another receiver to put in it...

*Two months later.*

"Well, I've built up another chassis from all the spare parts. So now I've got two Thunder Shots and one Terra Scorcher. That's more than I really need, so I'll stop there. I've just got these front suspension arms, a pair of rear shocks and one spare tyre left over.

You know, I could build another chassis from that..."

7 minutes ago, Yalson said:

It had an ancient Model Junction price sticker on it, yet you got it from... Italy? I wonder how many countries and transactions it went through before getting back to you?

Yep. No idea how it got there, so few of them left in circulation new.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Yalson said:

*Two months later.*

"Well, I've built up another chassis from all the spare parts. So now I've got two Thunder Shots and one Terra Scorcher. That's more than I really need, so I'll stop there. I've just got these front suspension arms, a pair of rear shocks and one spare tyre left over.

You know, I could build another chassis from that..."

Hah. Your prediction might have some merit... though this will run me down to a B parts tree, a slightly damaged chassis, a bunch of dogbones, a spare set of new/original suspension arms... hey I could put a new car together!

• Haha 1

Why not collect all 4 in the family? Thats what I did with 2 spare just in case.......so I have a thundershot and Terra Scorcher in need of some minor TLC and bodies.

Even before I heard there was a ReRe Terra Scorcher coming I've been gradually working on cars. My Rising Storm (DF-02) and Porsche Carrera GT (TB-02) are finished mechanics (finally got all the all-metal adjustable suspension bars done) and electronics, both brushless. Bodies repaired (the Porsche shell had a pretty bad prang at the front) with shoo goo and being over-coated with clear to help protect the stickers and then they are finished.

Still haven't started on the stickers and paint on my three Thundershot chassis cars. The Terra Scorcher had a slightly damaged painted body and a new original sticker set to go on it, that's all that would require now. The two Thundershots (shelf queen with original body and runner with repro body) still need body and driver, etc, painting and stickering. I'll work on those as soon as the DF-02/TB-02 are done.

Veeery tempting to pick up a ReRe Terra Scorcher though.

I have a bunch of spares still, including Thundershot bodies (new and repro) and random other parts if anyone is trying to do a TS from a ReRe TS kit.

I’m about to embark on a conversion of a Terra Scorcher re re to a Thundershot. I notice the rear shock tower assembly is different on the Thundershot (narrower and taller). If I retain the  Terra Scorcher rear shock tower does anyone know if the body shell will still fit alright? I might retain the front dual shock configuration of the Terra Scorcher as I know this was a hop up for the Thundershot. 
Any other changes to be mindful of besides the obvious like wheel colours?

On 7/16/2020 at 11:01 AM, Nova1 said:

I’m about to embark on a conversion of a Terra Scorcher re re to a Thundershot. I notice the rear shock tower assembly is different on the Thundershot (narrower and taller). If I retain the  Terra Scorcher rear shock tower does anyone know if the body shell will still fit alright? I might retain the front dual shock configuration of the Terra Scorcher as I know this was a hop up for the Thundershot. 
Any other changes to be mindful of besides the obvious like wheel colours?

The Terra Scorcher shock tower isn't much lower than the Thundershot one, you need the Terra Scorcher tower to mount the wing to though depending on which body you want. The issue for me was the front shock mount, where I'm using Thundershot bodies I use the Thundershot mount in front. I've got a bit of a mixture of cars, from an almost pure Thundershot built from parts (before the Terra Scorcher re re) to an almost pure Terra Scorcher with upgrades (that one went brushless and is quite speedy, I went the route of trimming out an internal bulkhead to fit a decent brushless ESC).

I did pick up a rere Terra Scorcher to keep on the shelf for spares down the line.

The main differences I can think of at the moment, if you want to take a Terra Scorcher rere to a Thundershot entirely:

• Bodyshell
  • Ball bearings (I'd keep them anyway)
  • Universal joints (ditto)
  • Rear stabiliser (ditto)
  • Twin front shocks (ditto)
  • Front and rear suspension mounts, body mounts ("G" parts)
  • Adjustable suspension upper bars and fittings
  • Wheel colour

Most of the improvements were available as upgrade parts to the Thundershot, depends if you want to build an absolutely out of the box Thunder Shot or a more drivable one.

The hardest part to find I had when I was building a Thundershot as part of this project was the 14mm link pins that connect the blue suspension uppers to the C1s and F parts. I found a link pin bag for a silly amount of money in the end. If you keep the Terra Scorcher upper suspension parts you don't need to worry about them.

I have a hybrid build with a repro Thunder Shot body basically finished to actually drive, on that I'm using the Terra Scorcher rear suspension mount and the Thunder Shot front mount to avoid having to fit the body somewhat to the mounts and to not have the look change. It's doable, though, especially if you use the 3d printed higher front Thunder Shot body mount with the repro Thundershot body.

I've got a set of 4 black wheel hubs I'm not using (new in their bags) but no spare 14mm link pins.

Many thanks for this comprehensive reply. I think I’ll go down the route you have with your hybrid build. I’ve picked up a repro body shell, repro decals and the black wheels. I’ll retain the dual front suspension  (using Thundershot shock tower) and keep rear pretty much as the Terra Scorcher (using the Thundershot body posts)

17 hours ago, Nova1 said:

Many thanks for this comprehensive reply. I think I’ll go down the route you have with your hybrid build. I’ve picked up a repro body shell, repro decals and the black wheels. I’ll retain the dual front suspension  (using Thundershot shock tower) and keep rear pretty much as the Terra Scorcher (using the Thundershot body posts)

That's roughly what I did with the Thundershot runner I built, though I do use the blue fixed suspension parts since I found the link pins. I think the only other significant thing I added was put thrust bearings in the gearboxes, replacing E1 and the thrust washer, to reduce wear. Checking the manual for the 2020 Terra Scorcher they don't include those thrust bearings.

Official version
3rd party version

Manual