Sign in to follow this  
SuperChamp82

540SD Sprint / Endurance

Does anyone know how to replace the brushes and coms on the older stuff ?

I’m good with later Techni motors but can’t see a way into these w/o bending or prising bits that make me uncomfortable ?

Replacing both motors would be lumpy but needs must if everything else is a bodge 🙄

They are not meant to be opened. They are quite collectible and performance wise, not that different from a silver can. So even if com and brushes are very worn, it would make a nice display motor.

• Like 1

I wish there was an easy way.  But those tabs must be bent.

It's no easy task (unless older motor cans were weaker).  You need something that could hold the can while something small and stronger pulls the tab out.  My cheap pliers got bent instead. They won't close tightly anymore. :o

YmJjhSo.jpg

• Like 1

I just thought of a way. (I couldn't edit)

You can destroy the endbell (red) part.  Drill several holes and break it.  Then you can straighten those tabs. It still won't be easy.  Put in a new endbell.  I suspect those pin holes might be used to pull back the brushes.  You could stick in paperclips to hold back the brushes when you slide in the endbell.  And hammer in the tabs and pull out the paperclips so the brushes would make contact.  

• Like 1

If you hold the can you may be able to tap the pinion shaft with a hammer to knock the end-bell off.  I've done this with a Dyna Storm Re-Re pink motor that had a crimped on endbell.  Paint flaked off the can where the two crimps were.  If you do insist on trying this, maybe consider practicing on a similar motor like the Johnson 540J first.If you hold the can you may be able to tap the pinion shaft with a hammer to knock the end-bell off.  I've done this with a Dyna Storm Re-Re pink motor that had a crimped on endbell.  Paint flaked off the can where the two crimps were.  If you do insist on trying this, maybe consider practicing on a similar motor like the Johnson 540J first.

19 hours ago, Juggular said:

I just thought of a way. (I couldn't edit)

You can destroy the endbell (red) part.  Drill several holes and break it.  Then you can straighten those tabs. It still won't be easy.  Put in a new endbell.  I suspect those pin holes might be used to pull back the brushes.  You could stick in paperclips to hold back the brushes when you slide in the endbell.  And hammer in the tabs and pull out the paperclips so the brushes would make contact.  

The endbells is what makes these motors stand out, destroying you could as well just tos it in a bin. ( Mine :) )

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, waterbok said:

The endbells is what makes these motors stand out, destroying you could as well just tos it in a bin. ( Mine :) )

That's true.  Red endbells would be impossible to find.  

Even if you get it apart, you won't like what you find. The brushes are not really replaceable like in open-endbell motors. They're attached to the inside of the endbell on sort of a leaf-spring-like arrangement. I don't even know if you can get replacements for the brushes. And putting it all back together would try the patience of a monk.

Basically, keep them as-is for display, and replace them with something else for running...

• Like 1