Sign in to follow this  
ThunderDragonCy

Chassis width help - my new 306 shell is only 186mn wide!

Just cut out my new 306 maxi shell. It's a repro of the original Tamiya shell. Just dropped it on my TA06 and the wheels stick out past the arches. Measured the shell and it's only 186mm across the outside. At a guess i am going to need the travk of the chassis to be 180ish for it to fit? Is this usual? I am running quite wide blocks on the TA06 (1F rear 1D front) but it easily fits under my race shell and RS200. And this is with 0 offset race wheels. 

I was planning to run this dropped on my TA06 occasionally, but i don't want to undo all the settibgs for racing just to fit a shell. Does something like a TT01E or TL01 have really narrow track width? 

Think you've answered your own question mate, narrower suspension blocks and shorter swing shafts. 

What length are the swing shafts at the moment? 

Most tamiya chassis' are 185mm wide (ish). 

Think you've answered your own question mate, narrower suspension blocks and shorter swing shafts. 

What length are the swing shafts at the moment? 

Most tamiya chassis' are 185mm wide (ish). 

Yep, older Tamiyas (+ TTs and XV) are slightly narrower, at 180-ish.

Chassis with long arms are 185-ish, with 1A blocks. 1F adds about 4mm to that.

The normal TT02 is barely wider than 170mm with 6mm hexes and 24mm +0 wheels. Type S is just under 190mm with same hexes and wheels, and no way to adjust (afaik) so avoid it in this scenario.

Second the above, avoid the type S and also XV01 Pro TC, same issue, 190mm wide. 

You could consider a TL01LA, but good luck finding one, or just build the chassis the original was designed for.

in theory a FF03 would be just as wide as the XV01 pro TC and TT02S as it’s the same suspension parts. 

Maybe you can find some 0 offset or negative offset wheels? 

Had a play with some 4.5 thick hexes and some narrower blocks but still doesn’t really fit the TA06. Found a tidy looking TL01 on ebay so bought that and got a few hop ups on order too.