Saito2

Better snow mover, Blizzard or Clod Buster?

Winter is on its way in my neck of the woods which leads to thoughts of the white stuff. Not that any RC is the most effective tool for snow removal, but which do you think would push more snow, a Kyosho Blizzard of Tamiya Clod Buster with plow attachment? I already have a Blizzard, but controlling it is a nightmare. I will definitely have to switch to a Sabertooth ESC for better control. Metal tracks would probably also help. On the other hand, I have plenty of spare Clod parts to build a truck. I'd just need to construct a plow. Any thoughts? 

• Like 1

In England as soon as snow is due the entire country grinds to a halt! 

I like your positivity 👍

• Haha 3

Have never used an RC to plow snow, but I think the Clod would be much more entertaining.  Lock the axles and do donuts in between plow stripes.  The only thing snow is good for is some Clodbuster bashing.

8 hours ago, 87lc2 said:

The only thing snow is good for is some Clodbuster bashing.

Ain't that the truth :lol:.

16 hours ago, svenb said:

In England as soon as snow is due the entire country grinds to a halt! 

I like your positivity 👍

never a truer word said plus everyone who cant drive normally deceide's to venture out in the dusting of snow we only ever get and procedes to either get stuck or crash on their way to panic buying at the shops

On 10/15/2019 at 9:36 AM, Saito2 said:

The only thing snow is good for is some Clodbuster bashing.

And maybe a 6wd Unimog. Cant wait

I say Blizzard. I run stock electronics on my old Blizzard and the controlling is easy with 2 motors connected to the same stick (just like joystick), you just have to run the stick 45 degrees to go straight. FR's electronics should work even smoother for this application. Sabertooth is good if you want to use a wheel radio.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Blissard said:

I say Blizzard. I run stock electronics on my old Blizzard and the controlling is easy with 2 motors connected to the same stick (just like joystick), you just have to run the stick 45 degrees to go straight. FR's electronics should work even smoother for this application. Sabertooth is good if you want to use a wheel radio.

My FR runs like a tank, with each stick controlling one motor and hence, one track. Add to that, side-to-side movement of the one stick runs the plow up and down and my old hands get confused. I'd rather it run like a joystick on one side and just the plow on the other. I thought that's what the Sabertooth would allow (in addition to being able to run a wheel radio if I desired).

• Like 1

Clod looks cooler....load her up with some weights add some 35t motors and 3s, should get the job done.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Saito2 said:

My FR runs like a tank, with each stick controlling one motor and hence, one track. Add to that, side-to-side movement of the one stick runs the plow up and down and my old hands get confused. I'd rather it run like a joystick on one side and just the plow on the other. I thought that's what the Sabertooth would allow (in addition to being able to run a wheel radio if I desired).

Exactly. Rather than connecting motors to 2 different sticks and controlling the plow with one of the  sticks, I connected them to 1 stick that has horizontal and vertical movement. So moving horizontal controls one motor and vertical other. You just need to control the stick 45 degrees in order to run 2 motors at the same time, when you push it forward it will turn left and the upper right corner is for going straight for example. This way other stick is all empty for plow and tiller.

This works best when the spring in the controller removed.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Blissard said:

Exactly. Rather than connecting motors to 2 different sticks and controlling the plow with one of the  sticks, I connected them to 1 stick that has horizontal and vertical movement. So moving horizontal controls one motor and vertical other. You just need to control the stick 45 degrees in order to run 2 motors at the same time, when you push it forward it will turn left and the upper right corner is for going straight for example. This way other stick is all empty for plow and tiller.

This works best when the spring in the controller removed.

That would confuse the badword out of me.

10 hours ago, Blissard said:

Exactly. Rather than connecting motors to 2 different sticks and controlling the plow with one of the  sticks, I connected them to 1 stick that has horizontal and vertical movement. So moving horizontal controls one motor and vertical other. You just need to control the stick 45 degrees in order to run 2 motors at the same time, when you push it forward it will turn left and the upper right corner is for going straight for example.

So, this can be accomplished by "rewiring" the stock electronics? If straight becomes left turn and 45 degrees forward is straight, what makes a right turn? 

1 hour ago, Saito2 said:

So, this can be accomplished by "rewiring" the stock electronics? If straight becomes left turn and 45 degrees forward is straight, what makes a right turn? 

All I did was connect my manual speed controllers to receiver, no need to rewire anything.

Full right on the stick makes right turn by running only the left motor forward. Full left can make left turn by reversing the same motor.

What I meant by "rewire" was moving plugs around in the receiver. I have an FR with two ESCs. After switching the ESC wires all around the 6 available ports in the receiver tonight, I didn't have any luck.

Try action electronics. They are a boat electrical company, but have all sorts of mixers etc that can control multi engine applications

Generally the heavier vehicle with better traction will be better to push the snow. I would say Blizzard as the name suggested. Problem with MT is the tires and the lack of grip on packed ice/snow, unless you are attaching chains.