Robotnik

Land Rover Marine Blue

Hi All
 I've just received a Land Rover CC01 kit for my 57th from me lovely wife.
I'd really like to do it in Land Rover 'Marine Blue' like the colour of the one in Shaun the sheep, and the one Vera drives, I'm having some trouble finding Lexan paint anywhere near that colour.

Any help or hints on that much appreciated.
Thanks
 Neil

Perhaps the sky blue (49) backed with a darker color like the brilliant blue(30)?  You'll need to experiment a bit.  One of the translucent colors will really change color drastically depending on the backing color and the number of coats of each.  Plastic soda bottles are cheap and easy way to experiment with color.  

Remember, the rust and dirt go on first when you're painting from the inside. 

tamiya-ps-paint-chips-2e4c.jpg

• Like 2

Matte clear on the top will flatten it down and make it more like Vera’s!!!

• Like 1

You could take a can of PS3 Light Blue and a can of PS32 Corsa Grey, slowly decant them into a single container until you can work out the ratio to get the right colour, then use a brush to paint inside the body, assuming you don't have access to an airbrush which would be much easier.  This also assumes those colours would work out.  It could take a few different cans and some experimentation.

You could use non-PS paint since there's a wider colour selection, but it won't stick properly so you'll end up with it flaking or peeling off.

For spray paint there's AS19 Intermediate Blue: https://www.tamiyausa.com/shop/spray-aircraft/as-19-intermediate-blue-usn/100ml-spray-can/

For hand brushing I think XF18 Medium Blue looks close: https://www.tamiyausa.com/shop/acrylic-paint-flat-mini-10ml/acrylic-mini-xf-18-medium-blue/10ml-bottle/

One trick I've seen other people do is to paint the body on the outside with a base PS colour, like white, and then use a non-PS paint over the top.  I have no idea how well it works in reality as it will show up any runs, etc in the paint.

Personally, I'd just paint it in something close enough like PS3 Light Blue but it's not impossible.  There may be a better colour match from another brand if you can find it.  Good luck.

Hi
 thanks very much for the helpful replies.
I've been humming harring and weighing it all up.

The PS49 anodised blue looks close to the colour I'm after but it is going to look metallic without the matt finish PS55 on top, which I think will lighten it by too much.

I had a good look at the PS3 blue, it actually doesn't really look too very far away from the correct colour if you look at some of the non faded paint jobs on some full size restorations.

I've decided to go with PS3 but spray the inside of the shell with PS55 matt first, I know you are supposed to use it on the outside but I'm going to do that anyway and see what happens, good tip about the pop bottles by the way. 

I'll post a picture or two of it however it turns out but that might take a few weeks depending.

I'm ordering the paints tonight :)
 Thanks again to all who posted. 
 Neil

1 hour ago, Robotnik said:

I've decided to go with PS3 but spray the inside of the shell with PS55 matt first

That won't work.  It's essentially just a clear paint that dulls the shiny exterior of the body when you peel off its plastic wrap.  Spray it inside and it probably won't do anything but cost time and money.  You want to mask off the windows and lights, then spray the exterior to remove the glossy plastic body shine rather than the PS paint itself being shiny (PS paint is actually all a matt finish rather than gloss).

I don't think PS49 would be a good idea either.  It's very light and, while this isn't my truck, I think it looks very different to what you're after.  I find it is better to look up photos of people's vehicles after using a particular paint than relying on Tamiya's colour chart.

eu4Ipij.jpg

One thing to keep in mind is that you can buy new Land Rover bodies.  Rather than trying to get a perfect and complicated job done on your first try, maybe keep it simple to gain some experience and then later on get another one you can get a bit more adventurous with.  The Build Tips forum is a good spot to get some information on prep and painting.

• Like 1

If its not going to be heavy use then check out Halfords auto paints. They may do exactly the right colour. I have had some success spraying the inside with this paint then backing it with a PS paint. Seems to stop it cracking. Try it out on an offcut?? As @Blista says at least LR a bodies are available if it goes wrong. Also consider using a Chinese hard body then you can spray the outside with the correct paint and weather it to look like Vera's battered rig

• Like 1

If it were me* I'd simply paint the inside some sort of metallic silver (to represent aluminium), then use a genuine Land Rover Marine blue paint (you can always get it mixed from a dealer if you can't find the colour you want in Halfords) on the outside, so that when you inevitable scratch the car, the blue paint starts to scrape off, revealing the 'aluminium' underneath?

*Actually, personally speaking I'd never use a polycarbonate body in the first place, but a proper hard-body set instead... however, I appreciate that the kit comes with a poly body, and that with some paint and detailing they can look pretty realistic.

Something to consider?

Jenny x

edit. following on from above, and also what Busdriver suggested, this is essentially what I did with the hard-body for my OK TC build - using 'aluminium' paint as a base layer before applying [grey] primer and top-coat, so that the weathering would reveal the original 'metal' underneath in places.

i-2Dq9Tpz-XL.jpg

• Like 2

On 10/20/2019 at 7:35 PM, Robotnik said:

I've decided to go with PS3 but spray the inside of the shell with PS55 matt first

PS-3 does look quite similar as you noticed.  

https://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=102250&sid=23656

However, I agree with @Blista in that matt inside won't do anything.  It's clear.  If you paint your home window with clear, and paint it with blue.  All you will see will be blue.  It might even melt a bit and dilute PS3 unevenly. (though, you can always try to see if it gets messed up or not)  

Since I'm less brave, I would just paint with PS-3.  And decide what to do under it.  Undercoats change the hue and saturation about 5-20%, depending on how translucent the first color is.  

If you just want to make it brighter, paint white under PS3. I always do that to make the color pop.  If you want to make it bluer, paint blue under PS3 and then white.  If you want it aqua-ish, paint light-green under PS3, and then white.  You can alter the color a bit, but you've got only one shot.  So save the lexan scraps, and test on them.  

• Like 3

Robotnik, everyone's correct... the matte is for the outside.  Mask off the windows and anything you want shiny on the outside, spray the exterior, the matte will take the lexan shine away nicely.  Good luck and post a pic.