phiber_optik

What On Road?

So we have moved to a new house and just a few doors away is a lovely tarmac church car park, empty 6 days a week.

Myself and the little dude in the house have enjoyed using our CC01 and MadBull but I fancy a change to something on road.

Budget is small and I would really like something new so the little dude can experience opening all the bags and putting it together.

Choices at the moment are TT02, M05 or at a push an FF03... only because I love the inboard suspension. 

Car will not be raced, or competing in any way. Just rattled around whatever course we through together in the car park.

Advice or recommendations welcome.

The FWD m cars are pretty fun. Can recommend. The handling is different and very fun. I would hesitate due to the lower ground clearance but you could always get the mf01 parts trees to get the m05RA parts. Put bearings in during assembly because the chassis is the transmission.

• Like 2

I find running a 4wd car on tarmac gets boring pretty fast as they just go where you point them. Then you take them to the track and realise how bad your setup is and it was really a waste of time testing them at the school.

I don't own fwd but they could be fun (and inboard suspension means you can get cool supercar bodies, even though most people would say you can't have a fwd mclaren).

F1 cars are fun though, we take our F103 and TRF102 to the school - when its dusty its a challenge just to drive them straight.

There are the F103GT cars which are an F103 but use touring car wheels and lemans body's, and also the RM01 12th pan cars cars which look good.

The TT02 has a bit going for it, cheap, easy to build, loads of hopups available, bulletproof...but just not my thing (even though I have 3). You could look at the TT02D which is the drift version. It has useful hopups (cva shocks, sport tuned motor, bearings) and drift tyres. Buy a set of rubber ones too and then you can use it either for drifting or normal driving. Also, Skylines are cool

• Like 2

The zakspeed AMG tt01e looks a bit tastey. Only £119. TT01 or TT02 would be a good start.

M chassis cars are quite fun.    I love my M-05, and the MF-01X Beetle kit would be a good parking lot runner.  Not as low as the regular M chassis cars so you have some more clearance over pebbles or other random parking lot debris.  I kept the drive shaft out of mine so it's rear wheel drive.  Makes for a much more fun car in my opinion.

• Like 1

M05 for fun. FF03 for handling. M07 for a mix of both.

A group of 5 of us have been running on car park tracks for years. We started with M03's, then some moved to M05s, then TL01s, then XV01s, then FF03's and now back to M05s and M07s.

• Like 1

I've been using the TT-02 Audi Quattro rally car on the road and its quite a lot of fun even stock. With just a little water on the road it becomes a car which will do broad power oversteer slides controllable on the throttle. It was a change for me from RWD because when you jam on the brakes all the wheels stop rather than just the rears, which does change your driving style a bit...

I say stock. I'm lying. During the build I added CVAs, a 2s lipo and bearings. It came with a torque tuned motor. To me it looked (and looks) good value for money.

• Like 1

Thanks for the feed back so far.

Just to add, I have owned DT02, TL01 and TT01 so I have a bit of experience with RWD and 4WD stuff, FWD does sound fun for a change though.

Keep the inspiration coming :)

TT02 would have to be the "stock default choice" when considering basic on-road.  Bulletproof, cheap, easy to build and with a range of hop-ups if you want to tinker.  But as others have said, the drive can be a bit sterile once you've driven it around in circles a few times.

I've not driven an FF03 and I would guess it is aimed more at the club racer market, but I'm sure you'd still have fun with it.  If it's "too good" then it might make a car park drive seem dull.

FWD M-chassis of any variant is always fun.  Last one I drove regularly was an M03.  Lift-off oversteer is fun.  Grip-roll is standard though so if the tarmac is grippy, expect to get a bashed shell.  I always preferred my FF01, although parts are getting scarce and they have some weak spots, and I wouldn't recommend one for a youngster for that reason.  Less grip roll from the FF01 but still plenty of lift-off oversteer.

I might be biased because I find any kind of driving alone a bit boring these days, but I'd say almost anything will get boring quick, so the best advice is you get two - a TT02 or M05/M07 for your little dude and an FF03 for you, then you can have fun racing together  ;)   (or just find a local race club and go racing ;)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, phiber_optik said:

Thanks for the feed back so far.

Just to add, I have owned DT02, TL01 and TT01 so I have a bit of experience with RWD and 4WD stuff, FWD is fun for a change though.

Keep the inspiration coming :)

Fixed that for you.

Seriously, FWD/FF is my favorite. :)

• Haha 2

If you want to become a better driver while also having loads of fun, I'd recommend a F1 chassis for on road use. By far the most challenging class of car in my on-road fleet, they produce a drive that is anything but boring, and extremely rewarding when you get it right. Used F103s can be picked up quite cheaply, and even a new F104 shouldn't cost a fortune. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Butler said:

M05 for fun. FF03 for handling. M07 for a mix of both.

THAT. 

• Like 3