Andyfish2000

Restoring Tyres with silicon

I have a few sets of tyres which I have restored by painting shock oil o and then leaving them in sandwich bags for some time.  However, I saw a vid on youtube recently where a guy simply sprayed the tyres using a silicon spray and then put the car back on the shelf.  Anyone else do this and what i the result?  If so, any recommendations on spray?

Thanks

I use it on my rubber seals in the caravan (keeps rubber soft and stops windows sticking to them) so also used on the buggies wheels till I got some tire specific stuff in a car polish set and now use that. It leaves the tires looking wet all the time and certainly looks good. 

only had them on display for up to two years so cant really comment on longterm.

Silicone spray is just silicone oil mixed with a solvent in an aerosol can. It will achieve the same 'wet' look as rubbing silicone oil on the parts, but the solvent in the spray can attack the surface of certain types of rubber and plastic, making them appear milky or hazy when the silicone oil eventually wears off.

Thanks guys.  I'll continue to use the bottle I have then, although Baddon, I am intrigued about full size tyre treatments and whether they are worth going with. Anyone else use full size stuff?

It was Autoglym....let me look it up

Autoglym tire dressing and leave that permanent wet look on them.