Sign in to follow this  
wungNits

using 4 channel transmitter to control a car one-handed?

I'm looking for a way to control a car with one hand.

One idea i had was to use a two stick 4 channel transmitter and just use one of the joysticks for fwd/back and left/right. Does anyone know if this would work?

Any other ideas welcome.

Michael 

Many wheel and trigger controllers can be used one handed, steering with a thumb. 

• Like 1

Matteo, said that he puts extra foam on the steering wheel, so it would be easier to control with his thumb.  

Here is a video of him controlling this truck with left hand, camera stick on his right hand.  

2 hours ago, wungNits said:

I'm looking for a way to control a car with one hand.

One idea i had was to use a two stick 4 channel transmitter and just use one of the joysticks for fwd/back and left/right. Does anyone know if this would work?

Any other ideas welcome.

Michael 

It works but it's hard to hold a 4 channel stick radio with one hand especially if it's a heavy transmitter. I have a Kyosho Perfex wheel radio and it's pretty easy to control with one hand, steering with thumb like TurnipJF said.

Thankyou for your replies.

I will look into trigger/wheel solution. I had not thought of that.

However, a stick, if possible, would be easier. Grip in my hand is not good and the more ways there are to grab something the better.

Michael

If hand grip is an issue, you might try using a radio tray like the ones used by some model aircraft pilots. Hung around the neck and braced against the body, this gives something to rest the transmitter on, so you don't need to hold it. You can then use your available grip to manipulate the stick, which can be extended and thickened to make holding it easier.

• Like 2

Where abouts in the world are you? If you are somewhere down the south west of england I can assist you with coming up with something. I make quite a few bits on my lathe and have made my own equipment to assist with my right leg amputation. I'd be happy to assist with helping you modify your equipment if it would help you out. I'm thinking a clamp around the wheel of a trigger grip RC controller with a thumb loop or similar that would assist with the steering control.

Also your idea will work fine; the 6 channel receivers are pretty much the same size, shape and cost as the 3 channels. I use a Flysky FS-T6 Transmitter and I'm pretty sure you could just use one of the sticks for steering, throttle and brake/reverse.

Perhaps one should think broader than the traditional RC transmitter - stick or pistol.

Today it's possible to buy Receivers that pair to Bluetooth or Wifi and use your smartphone as controller. Using the gyro sensor for steering and a slider onscreen for throttle is my preferred setup for 1 handed RCing... great for crawlers!

• Like 1

Thanks for the suggestions. All worth looking into.

@NobbySideways - thanks for the offer. I may be in touch.

@willyChang - I hadn't realised there were wifi/bluetooth receivers. I'll look at whats available.

Michael

• Like 1