Busdriver

Tamiya 74085 R/C Tool Set HC-74085

Are the screwdrivers included in this set JIS. Doesnt seem to say anywhere just says + - etc

Sort of fits this thread...can anyone suggest a JIS screwdriver that isn't part of a set? I have all the tools I need except what Tamiya would call a large JIS (for 3mm to 5mm screws). RCMart have the medium for 2mm - 2.6mm screws but thats too small.  What other brands make JIS?

2 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

can anyone suggest a JIS screwdriver that isn't part of a set?

LNE3v5l.jpg

Have you thought about... Tamiya? :D

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Blista said:

LNE3v5l.jpg

Hmmm, there is something in what you say...those Tamiya pro ones look good but $20 each! I should've checked RCJaz, they have this one

https://www.rcjaz.com/tamiya-74006-screwdriver-no2-p-7172.html

Is 74006 any good? It won't get much use, my race cars get pulled apart all the time but the backyard cars don't 

I recently purchased the following set - 

LASER 7036 JIS Screwdriver Set 4pc Japanese Industrial Standard Screw

Was £13 on eBay from a UK supplier. Four screwdrivers, excellent quality and fit like a glove into the Tamiya screws. Wish I'd got them ages ago. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

Hmmm, there is something in what you say...those Tamiya pro ones look good but $20 each!

I forget what I paid for mine, I think they were slightly cheaper at the time, but they've been very good.  Like all good tools, after a couple of years you forget how much they cost and enjoy the quality (or just the perception of it maybe).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blista said:

I forget what I paid for mine, I think they were slightly cheaper at the time, but they've been very good.  Like all good tools, after a couple of years you forget how much they cost and enjoy the quality (or just the perception of it maybe).

Yeah I know exactly what you mean and have experienced that loads of times and vowed to only buy good tools. So tonight I rolled the dice and got the cheap one, its still Tamiya though (it will be the TT02 of screwdrivers and I'll forever regret it). Also, doubled down and got some yeah racing lexan scissors for $3 or something silly.

Wait for the thread in december about how my cheap screwdriver and scissors have ruined my Top Force

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

Yeah I know exactly what you mean and have experienced that loads of times and vowed to only buy good tools. So tonight I rolled the dice and got the cheap one, its still Tamiya though (it will be the TT02 of screwdrivers and I'll forever regret it). Also, doubled down and got some yeah racing lexan scissors for $3 or something silly.

Wait for the thread in december about how my cheap screwdriver and scissors have ruined my Top Force

You should have got both the #1 and #2 Tamiya ones, Jonathon. Think they are approx $10 each locally too.

• Like 1

On 10/23/2019 at 9:21 AM, Bromley said:

Thanks @Bromley, I have just ordered these on one-day delivery when I needed new drivers in a rush. Two clicks, done!

'Tips' like this are so valuable on this trusted forum.

On 10/23/2019 at 6:22 AM, Blista said:

LNE3v5l.jpg

Best set of screwdrivers you can have. Also the cheaper black ones are very good. I use these for about 20 years and the are very good.

• Like 1

The 74085 is a decent entry JIS set 

It will also serve you well for 5 - 6 builds before the handle swapping + lack of bite / grip starts to irritate or give you blisters if you start restoring stubborn vintage kits 

If you’re ‘back for good’ I agree with @No Slack - and Tamiya black handles are much better mid term buy for modest additional expense 

They’ll then last you until TRF tools appeal / are worth the investment 👍