Busdriver

New Project/Blackfoot

Even though my Jeep project is still on going I fancy a new build. I'm not a great monster truck fan but I love the Blackfoot and its not too over the top. Does the latest avaiable have the gearbox issues that the earlier ones had. Will it cope with sport tuned, steel pinion and bearings?

Sure, no sweat. It won't take big horsepower for very long, but a Sport Tuned and bearings should make it nice and reliable.

The trans is the same, essentially, but the axles have been upgraded.

• Like 1

In another thread you mentioned the CC02, how about a blackfoot bodied version?

I quite fancy that myself or maybe a brat body.

My son's Monster Beetle only lasted about 3 months with the silvercan and NiMH.  When it first started clicking I shimmed it which got another couple of months, but then it was all over.   Others appear to have more luck though and get much longer out of them.

The MIP ball diff fixed the issue but its pricey.

Just love my Blackfoot. I only did 1 battery pack on the the Silver can then swopped it out for a 17.5t Justock Hobbywing motor, keeping the TBLE-02 ESC, which doesn’t get hot at all and doesn’t rip the the unglued Tyres off.  Not blisteringly fast (I have other cars for that & thats not what a BF is about to me anyway) but still lots of fun. I consider my self one of the lucky ones as all I’ve done is add a 0.3mm shim in the gearbox and hasn’t given a sniff of trouble. 
The body on these are really very nice and worth having as mentioned before as you can always add it to another chassis if you want. 
Mine’s not painted as it gets run just polished and stickered. 

I can’t seem to resist poking my head in the spare room every time I go past to have a quick squizz at it either 😁

4BF78FF0-004A-435A-9E33-F677DCAB6B5A.md.

• Like 4

If you have any concerns about reliability then how about a Blackfoot 3? Same body, just get a set of original or repro decals. WT01 chassis is bombproof with tonnes of upgrade options due to sharing parts with TL01, TL01B, M03, GF01, WR02CB etc

• Like 1

My only issue with the Blackfoot 3 is the wheelbase. I think its a tad too long. I prefer the stance of the original. I'm not that heavy on transmissions so I'll give it a go. Have to wait till Nov before I can order anything else!!!!!!

The MIP does apparently help as tested by Matteo, I had one on my watch list but haven’t needed one yet. 

9 hours ago, Busdriver said:

My only issue with the Blackfoot 3 is the wheelbase. I think its a tad too long. I prefer the stance of the original. I'm not that heavy on transmissions so I'll give it a go. Have to wait till Nov before I can order anything else!!!!!!

Yeah, i totally understand. I wish Tamiya would make and extension set for the WR02CB chassis to about 250 wheelbase. That would make a great modern truck chassis. 

There are alternatives.

I don't know whether the 'oldfrogshot' method works on the current ORVs.

https://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=24674&id=3142

MHeald on here produced some gearbox plates for a while - four ABS plates which braced the gearbox to remove the spreading. Bit they are no longer available.

However, the dimensions for them are likely similar to this from Twinset. 

https://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=95689&sid=

So, if you are minded that way, there is an alternative to the MIP diff.

Hope that helps!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Busdriver said:

Will it cope with sport tuned, steel pinion and bearings?

Mine is from the 80's.  Sport Tuned and bearings.  It even has old octagonal dog bones.

vTLlUqJ.jpg

It ran on the roughest ground.  Tires came off many times, even a dog bone came off once.    

No sign of diff trouble at all.  But it's a known issue; some are fine for years, some develop a problem immediately.  

So, I would use the shims @Re-Bugged mentioned. Tamiya likes to have gaps. (DN01's ball diff has a huge 2mm gap side to side).  But Black Foot diff shouldn't have any gap.  Diff spreading is the problem, that's why Tamiya switched to bolt-on diffs.  If it still develops the trouble after shims, only then I would get the MIP diff.  

• Like 1