Jump to content
GTodd

Whats going to be the "BIG" Re-re of 2020?

Recommended Posts

On 10/27/2019 at 2:31 AM, Saito2 said:

The Falcon has been the one re-release from the 80's era that's conspicuously absent for some time now. I've had no personal contact with one but have read they are either relatively fine or are failure prone. I guess mileage may vary. If its the later, perhaps Tamiya deems them too risky to re-release. This may be why we didn't get the original Astute, for example. Another possibility is the car lacked any following in the domestic market, which goes back to the theory Tamiya only caters to its domestic market trends/desires and the rest of the world gets what it gets. Or, they're simply waiting for planet x the align with its moon and sun in the Zoltan star system in the VsQs galaxy. Who knows. Theories are just theories, but I wish they'd just bring it out already. I'm not even a big Falcon fan and have plenty of cars I'd like to see re-released before it. Yet, the simple fact its so obviously missing from the re-release lineup is like a noticeably missing tooth or something.

Its absence so far is kind of why I suspect that it's coming next. It would be easy: the tub is still in production (Blitzer chassis), the wheels and tires are back (Grasshopper II), and the rest is just a few plastic trees, some yellow CVAs (also already available), and a Lexan body.

And it's not too fragile to bring back; the two weak spots are the attachment of the front end to the tub (easily remedied by just adding a little "meat" to the parts there, although I never broke one at that spot) and over-extension of the rear suspension making dogbones pop out (which has been known, and fixed with shock limiters, literally since it came out in the '80s; when my brother bought his back in 1987, the hobby shop clerk cut two little half-inch lengths of fuel tubing and taped them to the box lid for this purpose).

Not to mention that it's a great runner, and an iconic shape. I just can't help thinking that it must be coming soon.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, markbt73 said:

to mention that it's a great runner, and an iconic shape. I just can't help thinking that it must be coming soon.

I have a restored one, and cost me a pretty penny to do it, which is why I don't run mine. It is pretty to look at though but a runner would be nice. I ended up paying $70+ USD for the tree for the plastic battery hold down. One stupid part...Ugh. That was tough to stomach. Had to wait a long time for that part to show up. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is my Maths correct?

 

SRB chassis + Blackfoot body + Brat wheels and tires+decal sheet = Ford Ranger 150 XLT Re Re

 

If its right what is taking so Long. If you can do a Sand Scorcher why not this. I would definately  shell out Sand Scorcher money if they did:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Busdriver said:

Is my Maths correct?

 

SRB chassis + Blackfoot body + Brat wheels and tires+decal sheet = Ford Ranger 150 XLT Re Re

 

If its right what is taking so Long. If you can do a Sand Scorcher why not this. I would definately  shell out Sand Scorcher money if they did:)

It was released October 1981.... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i would assume there is a conflict 

959 are worth a fair bit. rere one and the prices drop and the originals get watered down

terra scorcher has been semi rere as the new scorcher (which is a much better car)

i'd be annoyed if the falcon was rered because i also spent a lot of time and effort getting mine to a mint "as new" standard

nZlk0eF.jpg

 

JJ

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, skinned said:

It was released October 1981.... 

Yes that was the original release. What I'm saying is all the parts needed to re release it are currently in production so its high time they did it again?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can only imagine the missing Ranger is down to lack of demand or Tamiya not wishing to shell out for licencing. Pretty hard to fake the Ranger like they did the Blackfoot. Maybe a Frod Runger like the Toyato/Potato/Tomato Bruiser-thing the Chinese did ? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also still hoping for

  • Ford F150 Ranger XLT
  • Toyota 4x4 Hilux Pick-Up
  • 4x4 Blazing Blazer

and also hoping for

  • Opel Ascona, but with wheel arches corrected in the same way as happened with the Audi Quattro
  • Ford Escort RS Cosworth
  • Ford Mondeo
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Licencing costs can be the only reason why a Ranger re-release hasn't happened. Tamiya seem to be rather tight when it comes to what they are prepared to spend on re-releasing a kit. Which means that even if they do bring back the Ranger it won't come back with the original front grille, in the same way that the Buggy Champ didn't come with Sand Blaster Jr tyres and the Sand Scorcher body lacked the original wide wheel arches.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/29/2019 at 1:52 PM, MockTurtle said:

y'all dreaming.

its going to be a Lunch Box Green Edition :lol:

Transparent edition would be great :lol:

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Carrera124 said:

Transparent edition would be great :lol:

A thick, tough, lexan lunchbox body with transparent cva's as standard, a transparent gearbox like the mad bulls with coloured gears, chrome wheels and pin spike tyres.

Could be a lunchbox colour edition id actually buy!

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

TT03.
I can just about taste it. xD

In terms of re-re, I'd like to see some sort of riff on the OG red-and-white Clod. Perhaps a color-edition? The Wrangler on the CC02 would be amazing, and really scale-correct.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/29/2019 at 5:52 AM, MockTurtle said:

y'all dreaming.

its going to be a Lunch Box Green Edition :lol:

Hahaha probably! Although the Black Edition Clod sounds nice! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, GTodd said:

Hahaha probably! Although the Black Edition Clod sounds nice! 

Yeah it does...shame they announced it 2 weeks after I built this....

20190902_214350.jpg

  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Bromley said:

Yeah it does...shame they announced it 2 weeks after I built this....

20190902_214350.jpg

It would be even better if they included the OG Clod decals. I'm tired of eBay sellers trying to sell stickers for 100$.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, geniusanthony said:

It would be even better if they included the OG Clod decals. I'm tired of eBay sellers trying to sell stickers for 100$.

Gorgeous truck! Just go with MCI, they are fantastic!

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really want an old-school bath tub Tamiya 4WD from the shot family, even ordered the MIP ball diffs, but there is just something about the Clod! 

 

Alas I'm still heavily betting on either one of the trucks from the Kingcab series or the TF EVO. Remember we all thought the Egress was a no go when the first run of the BS Avante came out, and then Surprise, Egress!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, GTodd said:

I really want an old-school bath tub Tamiya 4WD from the shot family, even ordered the MIP ball diffs, but there is just something about the Clod! 

 

Alas I'm still heavily betting on either one of the trucks from the Kingcab series or the TF EVO. Remember we all thought the Egress was a no go when the first run of the BS Avante came out, and then Surprise, Egress!

We all thought the SRB was a complete no chance too. Goes to show, anythings possible!

Im sure the terra scorcher will be done sooner or later so keep those diffs ready :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wouldn't it be cool if we could get a re-release of our actual youth instead of RC cars from our youth? I know I could use a fresh set of eyes and new joints as mine are now are dry-rotted and cracked from age. ;)

  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Saito2 said:

Wouldn't it be cool if we could get a re-release of our actual youth instead of RC cars from our youth? I know I could use a fresh set of eyes and new joints as mine are now are dry-rotted and cracked from age. ;)

I had a spine operation and got a younger girlfriend, had the same effect. Feel 20 again 😂

  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

im gonna say on the budget end will be MadCap or Saint Dragon, on the top end will be TF EVO and King cab for the mid range.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/21/2019 at 9:01 PM, markbt73 said:

I'd really love to see 2020 be the year that Marui stops playing with its toy guns long enough to surprise us with a Big Bear re-issue, but I'm not holding my breath...

I'd love that. People say the tooling is gone but I don't think it would be much of a technical challenge to recreate it. Cost is the biggest barrier I expect.

I wonder if any of those Chinese companies will start paying attention to which long gone models get the most attention.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/21/2019 at 9:01 PM, markbt73 said:

I'd really love to see 2020 be the year that Marui stops playing with its toy guns long enough to surprise us with a Big Bear re-issue, but I'm not holding my breath...

I'd love that. People say the tooling is gone but I don't think it would be much of a technical challenge to recreate it. Cost is the biggest barrier I expect.

I wonder if any of those Chinese companies will start paying attention to which long gone models get the most attention.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I own a tool and die shop. Tooling is much cheaper now and easier to recreate or reverse engineer any part were tooling may have been recycled or modified to suite something else.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...