GTodd

Whats going to be the "BIG" Re-re of 2020?

2 hours ago, moffman said:

Fair point the super astute was a top release but just a tad over priced for what it was or have just missed something about the super astute?

I really want(ed) an original Astute Rere, Tamiya rereleased the Avante, Frog etc with all their flaws I was/am hoping they'd do the the same with the Astute. However the super Astute is fantastic, the TTC either original or new is nearly bomb proof and it's simplified suspension makes it more reliable. Additionally the second order effects of the Rere Super Astute such as being able to get parts for the Astute line again like the front and rear hubs and bulkheads have enabled many like me to dust off their og Astutes and hit the tracks again.  Also I've already rebuilt (3) Kingcab chassis with the TTC, maybe they should release the TTC as a hop up again come to think of it!

But I do agree it wasn't as successful as say the Hotshot, Bruiser, or Avante rereleases.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, GTodd said:

I really want(ed) an original Astute Rere, Tamiya rereleased the Avante, Frog etc with all their flaws I was/am hoping they'd do the the same with the Astute. However the super Astute is fantastic, the TTC either original or new is nearly bomb proof and it's simplified suspension makes it more reliable. Additionally the second order effects of the Rere Super Astute such as being able to get parts for the Astute line again like the front and rear hubs and bulkheads have enabled many like me to dust off their og Astutes and hit the tracks again.  Also I've already rebuilt (3) Kingcab chassis with the TTC, maybe they should release the TTC as a hop up again come to think of it!

But I do agree it wasn't as successful as say the Hotshot, Bruiser, or Avante rereleases.

I think with me when it comes to that time in the tamiya line up I was entering the real world and mortgages and family life put my hobbies and interests firmly on hold that was 1990 so the super astute just passed me by amongst other probably brilliant rc's so the likes of the hotshot, frog, avante, super shot, etc etc was my best years (flaws and all)

• Like 1

A King Blackfoot would be nice, if not an AC Cobra with Wild Willy driving for something new. 

• Like 2

We definitely need a new buggy/truck based on the SRB chassis maybe updated so anyone wishes to update the current SRB chassis can do so! As to what vehicle it can be maybe you guy's out there can come up with ideas??

30 minutes ago, moffman said:

We definitely need a new buggy/truck based on the SRB chassis maybe updated so anyone wishes to update the current SRB chassis can do so! As to what vehicle it can be maybe you guy's out there can come up with ideas??

We don't need a new SRB chassis:P, the sand scorcher was the worst handling car I ever had even a grasshopper drives beter, for me rere some of the thundershot chassis.

The only thing the SRB does is spinning out mehh not my thing, I think that because its have a spool, never ran one with a balldiff in it.

Probably already mentioned, but I hope for either Vanquish or King Cab / Hilux Monster Racer! :)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, dannymulder said:

We don't need a new SRB chassis:P, the sand scorcher was the worst handling car I ever had even a grasshopper drives beter, for me rere some of the thundershot chassis.

The only thing the SRB does is spinning out mehh not my thing, I think that because its have a spool, never ran one with a balldiff in it.

Yes we need an updated SRB and yes your right its rubbish handling (much better with a ball diff) but who care about the handling nobody buys a SRB for its handling! I personally got one (actually 4) purely to use for that thing that seems to be in short supply especially in the UK at the moment called "fun"

• Like 2

On 11/6/2019 at 7:29 PM, OOZZEE said:

Not Tamiya but a Losi JRX2 maybe on the Horizon.

Unfortunately, despite the excellent Horizon pun, the moulds for the old Losi models were lost in a fire years ago :(.  So unless they remade it completely from scratch there will never be a JRX2 re-re :'(.  A shame as I'd love to be able to race a JRX2 without worrying too much about parts availability!  (I wasn't into RC when it was first around, so missed it then)

Tamiya-wise I'd like to see a re-re of the Dyna Storm (as I missed the re-re a few years back!) and maybe the 959 on a newer chassis..

On 12/21/2019 at 11:36 AM, legooolas said:

Tamiya-wise I'd like to see a re-re of the Dyna Storm (as I missed the re-re a few years back!) and maybe the 959 on a newer chassis..

Surely it wouldn't be a re-re if it was on a new chassis.....

On 12/24/2019 at 3:24 AM, Crashboxdummy said:

dot_invisible.gif
top.jpg
Would love the Mini Monte Carlo to be re-released 🤞

That would require Tamiya to make a New licensing deal with the devil (BMW)

On 12/21/2019 at 11:36 AM, legooolas said:

Unfortunately, despite the excellent Horizon pun, the moulds for the old Losi models were lost in a fire years ago :(.  So unless they remade it completely from scratch there will never be a JRX2 re-re :'(.  A shame as I'd love to be able to race a JRX2 without worrying too much about parts availability!  (I wasn't into RC when it was first around, so missed it then)

A re-run of the dyna storm would be very welcome in my collection! But the 959 if it ever gets done again has to be on the same chassis or not at all we don't need it on one of those tb02, tb0 my God not again please retire it chassis:huh:.........sorry fans of those chassis! 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, moffman said:

But the 959 if it ever gets done again has to be on the same chassis or not at all we don't need it on one of those tb02, tb0 my God not again please retire it chassis:huh:.........sorry fans of those chassis! 

Yeah, I'm getting tired of hearing this or that cool touring car from the 90's is coming back (or even the Audi Quattro, which turned out totally different) only to find its just the body dropped carelessly on the (yawn!) TT02 chassis. I'll give the Lancia Rally credit though. As much as I like the old ORV version, the new TA02 variant ain't bad.

• Like 1

What do you think, any truth in this?

Doesnt seem like normal tamiya behaviour to ask if people would want it.

Screenshot-20191230-090855-Facebook.jpg

Call me a cynical, but I've never seen Tamiya really show any direct interest in what outside consumers want by taking feedback. They've pretty much done what they've darn well pleased. How many years did people petition for a Bruiser re-release? Tamiya didn't respond until long after the High Lift was released (which many felt at the time was closing the door on any possible Bruiser re-release). No, Tamiya brought back the Bruiser when it wanted to and not a day before. The only time I've ever read of Tamiya taking the slightest interest in direct feedback was from distributors on what they thought of a "Wild Willy 2" making an appearance. I think the trustworthy @Mokei Kagaku was the source for that if I'm not mistaken. Maybe I'm wrong and policies can change but its not Tamiya's normal M.O. for sure.

3 minutes ago, Saito2 said:

Call me a cynical, but I've never seen Tamiya really show any direct interest in what outside consumers want by taking feedback. They've pretty much done what they've darn well pleased. How many years did people petition for a Bruiser re-release? Tamiya didn't respond until long after the High Lift was released (which many felt at the time was closing the door on any possible Bruiser re-release). No, Tamiya brought back the Bruiser when it wanted to and not a day before. The only time I've ever read of Tamiya taking the slightest interest in direct feedback was from distributors on what they thought of a "Wild Willy 2" making an appearance. I think the trustworthy @Mokei Kagaku was the source for that if I'm not mistaken. Maybe I'm wrong and policies can change but its not Tamiya's normal M.O. for sure.

That was my thought too.

Someone on a facebook group posted a reply from tamiya about his request for rere's (separate thing to the above) and tamiya said they rere what customers request and they would forward his request to the right department.

That doesnt sound like tamiya either!

I’ll third the not normal Tamiya  style, but I would take a vanquish in a heartbeat 

• Like 2

I wonder how long it takes to get a model back into production. Finding all the tooling, planning manufacturing time into the years schedule, remaking the box art, new manuals, any changes etc.

Ive a suspicion that if they wanted it out in 2020 they would have had to start the ball rolling earlier than now, even just because of having to plan the years manufacturing timings.

Makes me think either its rubbish, or they are already some way down the line and are now just wondering how many to make (wouldnt be surprised if it was a limited release), or, if its true, and they are also still at the 'should we' stage, then it wont be out in 2020.

Did the avante rere have the same universal driveshafts the egress got?

If so, i guess the vanquish would too.

Think they would change anything else?

Im getting a bit to into this idea, need to hold back, i really doubt this is going to happen.

Odd thing is, i really thought they would rere this in 2020, but this facebook post makes me less sure its going to happen, not more!

I've bought a bit from Ross who owns that shop and asked via email if certain cars will be coming down here and he seems pretty knowledgeable about Tamiya in general. Also a really helpful guy. I doubt he would have posted that to generate interest in his shop if there wasn't some genuine intent behind it. The other thing is that Tamiya's in NZ are distributed via a single importer, Trevor Bringans Ltd, so the request would've come via them rather than direct to RCNZ.

I have also been told by another LHS when the Top Force was out of stock that if there was enough interest Tamiya do listen and do another run, which I assume is going back up that chain to Tamiya. Then panic-bought mine from RCMart as they got stock first

So there is a good chance that its legit, its just the first time its been posted publicly like that

• Like 4

Someone asked the question on the FB post if Tamiya had actually asked for feedback and they replied saying they had through the NZ distributor. Looks legit to me, especially since I have dealt with the shop before. Don't see them lying about it