Juggular

How do you fix a cracked shell?

There was a tiny fold in the Alfa Romeo Giulia shell.  When I cut across it, sure enough, it cracked. (I suppose Julia has too much curve)  

8p6Main.jpg

If you leave it, it will tear along that crack.   

I planned to paint first, and use reinforced tape. (something very similar Tamiya gives)  

UrAaAfI.jpg

But it's always better to ask before I commit to the simplest method.  

Are there better ways? 

I wonder if shoe gluing a piece of scrap Lexan and reinforced tape might work better? 

I used extra Tamiya plastic netting (think Hot Shot netting) and Shoe Goo along the crack on my M01 Mini body. Worked fantastic. 

• Like 1

Get a roll of 3m cross weave glass tape. Sticks light snot to a blanket and tough as old boots. Use it in areas susceptible to damage. It makes my race shells last much longer.

• Like 1

And mention the capillary effect when you are going to paint the shell. Probably it will pull some paint through the crack.

If it's a runner and you place more importance on longevity than shelf appeal, drill a small hole at the end of the crack to prevent it spreading.

I just use clear packing tape on both sides of my running shells. When it gets ratty, remove clean and apply new tape.

• Like 1

I've never had to repair a new unpainted shell before, only used shells.

The best solution I've found is flushing tape (blue mesh stuff on a roll that plasterers use) and brand name Shoe Goo.

Has plenty of strength and plenty of flex.

Lexan off-cuts and/or other brand shoe adhesive is too hard and brittle.

Tip - If you know where your shell will split, tape and glue it in those areas before it does. B)

• Like 1