Gazzalene

Help with sticker application

Just ordered my first kit, Lancia delta XV 01.

The build should go ok, built and flown RC heli`s before.

I would like some tips on the sticker application, this can make the body look real good if done well.

Cutting out solid shapes will be easy, cut right upto the print with no clear left. What do you do around "letters" for instance?  Say if it has capital letter then lower case. Do take the time to cut around each letter OR leave some clear around the top and bottom of the print. Hope that make sense?

I leave the squares above and below "H."  That way it's a rectangle.  It's harder to destroy a rectangle than an H-shaped sticker.  I leave tiny bit of clear, like 0.3mm on all sides, and round off sharp corners too.  If you think about why Band Aid isn't a rectangle, that's because sharp corners peel out first.  If it's a shelf queen, you can cut out squares for sharper look.  You can mix too.  Where your hands will touch, you can cut out in big rectangles, where your hands won't touch (like in the middle of the hood, or bonnet), you can cut out in the shape of letters.  

I would use hair drier too.  Heat helps the sticky glue to adhere better, especially on uneven surfaces.   

kMOHyf5.jpg

I use warm water with some detergent in it sprayed onto the body. This allows you some wiggle room when applying stickers. Once in the right place dab dpwn with paper towel and a hairdyer as well. As @Juggular says it helps with uneven surfaces. I have to say having bought some aftermarket stickers recently, MCI and Digitalprint. both were pre cut. Saves a lot of aggro. I'm amazed the Tamiya doesnt do this.

• Thanks 1

They must have started from this year!  Because a couple of sheets I bought from last year, weren't precut. I should have waited.  Ditto on how Tamiya isn't doing it!  

When using a hairdryer/heatgun do you have to take care with the paint inside the body? Or is it pretty bullet proof once fully cured?

13 minutes ago, Gazzalene said:

When using a hairdryer/heatgun do you have to take care with the paint inside the body? Or is it pretty bullet proof once fully cured?

the paint should be fine. you still should be careful as too much heat will melt the sticker first before it affects the paint. trust me i know! :lol:

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Juggular said:

They must have started from this year!  Because a couple of sheets I bought from last year, weren't precut. I should have waited.  Ditto on how Tamiya isn't doing it!  

Actually I have a Redbull set from MCI that isnt cut. As you say maybe theyve only started recently

• Like 1