njmlondon

Using a GF01 chassis with Comical Frog / Grasshopper body and wheels?

I wanted to know if anybody has mixed and matched a GF01 with the Comical bodies?

My daughter and son both have GF01s bit love the look of the new comical bodies. Personally I find the GF01 to be a far superior chassis to my old Wild Willy 2 and the 4WD seems to give it a lot more balance and is more fun in the woods where we run them

In an ideal world I would like to fit the wheels and tires onto my GF01 and get the bodies. 

1st question is regarding the front wheels with the comical cars... can you fit hex's to them so they are 4WD or are they bearing only?

2ndly is has anybody tried to fit any of these bodies on a GF01?

Any help much appreciated.

Only an answer to the first question, sorry.

The comical cars use hex fitting on the front and rear, the wheels are identical, only the tyres are different. The wheels are two-piece, a main rim and a centre/spoke section.

Hope this helps.

cheers,

Rob

Hi Rob, that certainly does! 

I am guessing that like the Wild Willy Jeep body, the posts will be out a little bit and it may be hard to use the nerf bars, but a little creativity should solve the problem.

As an aside to this, I've put the GF01 wheels and tyres (the big black ones) on my Comical Hornet because it tips over so easily on hard surfaces on the kit tyres. The rounded profile and lack of support inside means they just fold under load. Also, the Comicals have longer suspension arms that the GF01 I think? They have their own arms which are about 10mm longer than the TL01 sort arms that I think is stock on the GF01. 

Could you use the front axle setup from a comical buggy to do a front hex conversion on other 2wd Tamiya cars?

1 hour ago, Biz73 said:

Could you use the front axle setup from a comical buggy to do a front hex conversion on other 2wd Tamiya cars?

Its just the 4wd TL01 front end without driveshafts. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

Its just the 4wd TL01 front end without driveshafts. 

You can also use the uprights and some stub axles from the M series too as I recall, I did this on my WR-02 chassis to fit four hex wheels.

Jx

• Like 1

F&R wheels are both with hex but the comical are different OD so doesn't make much sense on a 4WD. 

Fitting the bodies, you will have to cut parts of the chassis and bodies as the GF bodymount position is too wide on the rear (front not much better). Grasshopper way to small in the rear, hornet tight.

I think I posted pictures in a similar thread.

Wow! They didn't even bother to make an axle without the drive cup for their 2wd car.

Just wait for the comical hotshot or boomerang or manta ray or whatever tamiya decide is best 4wd comical option..

• Like 1

On 10/25/2019 at 12:30 PM, Juls1 said:

Just wait for the comical hotshot or boomerang or manta ray or whatever tamiya decide is best 4wd comical option..

Oooh a Comical Hotshot... that would be rather nice!