ThunderDragonCy

Calling TL01/TB01/TG10/TA04 experts

Threw the front suspension together on my TL01 and ran into a problem - the yeah racing 39mm universals bind. The hit the inner end of the gearbox outdrive before fill compression. The regular dog bones just about clear. I have pulled everything apart and it seems the TG10/TB01 caster c hubs i fitted are very slightly narrower than the TL01 kit part, by a couple of mm. I would really like to use the universals. Anyone know if getting the TB01 knuckles will fix this? Or maybe something similar like the TA04 knuckles? Or the TB01 front arms? Thanks. 

I have the TB01 GPM c-hubs  and use the old GPM TL01 universals and have no problems.

If I rember correctly the GPM universals are 38mm. Maybe I am Just lucky that this combination works in my TL01.

14 minutes ago, No Slack said:

I have the TB01 GPM c-hubs  and use the old GPM TL01 universals and have no problems.

If I rember correctly the GPM universals are 38mm. Maybe I am Just lucky that this combination works in my TL01.

Thanks. Maybe 39mm uni's are too long for the TL01? 

39mm are standard for a tl01 and I had tb01 hub carriers on my tl01.

I have a ta04 knuckle spare I could check, 

Has the tb evo got the same tb01 hubs? 

Too much beer tonight 

I got 39mm ones to put in my shelfer FF02LA and they don’t really work, I wanted blue, that’s why I went 39mm, it doesn’t matter as I’m not driving it. 

pretty sure you need 38mm units. 

http://www.rcmart.com/yeah-racing-38mm-universal-steel-swing-shaft-tamiya-tl01-ff02-ta01-ta02tl015bk-p-27978.html?cPath=595_744_707

where did you find black yeah racing uni’s in 39mm? Didn’t know they existed. 

7 hours ago, Juls1 said:

I got 39mm ones to put in my shelfer FF02LA and they don’t really work, I wanted blue, that’s why I went 39mm, it doesn’t matter as I’m not driving it. 

pretty sure you need 38mm units. 

http://www.rcmart.com/yeah-racing-38mm-universal-steel-swing-shaft-tamiya-tl01-ff02-ta01-ta02tl015bk-p-27978.html?cPath=595_744_707

where did you find black yeah racing uni’s in 39mm? Didn’t know they existed. 

I have just checked and i definitely got those 38mm unis and they don't fit. Seemslike that extra millimetre or so on the chubs makes the difference. Any idea if the TB01 front arms or knuckles might solve this? 

TA04, TB01, TB Evo 1 and 2,  and TG10 all work. Just keep in mind that the TA04  hub carries do not give enough suspension travel for rallying.

19 hours ago, KamikazeZero said:

TA04, TB01, TB Evo 1 and 2,  and TG10 all work. Just keep in mind that the TA04  hub carries do not give enough suspension travel for rallying.

You can't use TG10/TB01 knuckles with TA04 hub carriers.

You can gain a millimetre by changing bearings. If the current setup uses 4mm wide bearings, use 3mm inners and 5mm outers. There may also be scope to grind the diff cup joints to get them to sit in a further mm.

Otherwise, yeah racing make some adjustable universals for their tt02 rwd drift kit. The universals themselves are junk (aluminium) but you can use the adjustable dogbone ends on other shafts by cutting the shaft and grinding some flats into it. I used them to make short double cardan shafts for a tt02.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone. I think i have the solution though. @TwistedxSlayer measured some TB01 front arms and they are 30.5mm pivot centres. The TL01 front arms are only 28mm. So, it seems the easy option is just to get some TB01 front arms and all will be well.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

Thanks everyone. I think i have the solution though. @TwistedxSlayer measured some TB01 front arms and they are 30.5mm pivot centres. The TL01 front arms are only 28mm. So, it seems the easy option is just to get some TB01 front arms and all will be well.

Might have some of those🤔

Is there an O-ring in the drive cup?  If my memory  serves me right, the Yeah Racing universals have a round ball head with just enough material to shave off 1mm or 0.5mm to stop the binding without sacrificing  durability.   

6 hours ago, tamiyanerd said:

Is there an O-ring in the drive cup?  If my memory  serves me right, the Yeah Racing universals have a round ball head with just enough material to shave off 1mm or 0.5mm to stop the binding without sacrificing  durability.   

I took the o rings out and thry syill bounf. The 39mm dogbones worked just fine, but ultimately the TB01 cadter c hubs reduce the width by around 2mm per side. The obly way to make it all work with unis is getting TB01 front arms. They are 2.5mm wider than the TL01 arms and push the c hubs back out to the correct width.

Ah...i see.  You're  right, the TB01/TG10 hubs do narrow the front track when paired with stock TL01 arms.  And yes, the TB01 arms are different in width compared to the TL01 arms and would correct  this.  

• Like 1