Sign in to follow this  
LeftyAl

Going sideways

2nd week of October was the start to my yearly visit to my brother in law for a few days of speedway fun courtesy of his driveway almost resembling a speedway track. Too put it in context how much we look forward to it, my 4 door sedan (with a large boot/truck) was packed with 2 suitcases, 7 cars and all the gear to keep the cars going. There was not much room left.....

Conditions were tough due to the severe lack of rain out his way, and the track managed to stay slippery for the 4 days we drove on it. Normally it gets a bit of a groove after 3 days and the cars hook up. Reviewing some of the videos shows how loose the marbles are out there and it all comes unstuck in an instant if you miss the racing line.

On Friday afternoon drivers started turning up late afternoon and getting their cars prepped. This year we invested in a transponder based timing system and it would have to be probably the best investment ever for our racing. We had 15 drivers qualify. Top 5 went straight to the A-Main, winner of the C-Main advanced to the B-Main and the top 2 joined in the A-Main. 

My car was sporting a paint scheme channeling the late great Peter Brock and his day glo orange "Big Banger" Holden Commodore from 1984.

739250642_Marlborocar.thumb.JPG.b510436bf0c817bceca9c942a71df4e9.JPG

We also debuted a Go Pro 7 camera and put it in a few different spots. Above the driver's stand, on the veranda covering corners 2,3 and 4 and on a sprint car. Somewhere I have a rear camera setup.. just need to find the footage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zg3aCJI34U Be kind in your critique of the video. I am just dipping my toes into the go pro world. The only editing done was to cut/paste the  good stuff and I and still working on understanding the best quality levels etc to use for youtube.

At the end of the A-Main we had an all in "Last Car Running" that went for a fair while. The lead car ended up doing 178 laps....in an old school nitro car. I think he stopped for fuel twice. I was surprised he lasted that long as it got pretty violent out there late in the night, I graciously bowed out before ending up with a wrecked car. We had some great crash crew out there doing a stellar job as with 15 cars starting, there was fair bit of carnage in the opening laps. It wasn't till Sat that someone was hit by a car, but a rather special ice cream cone made the pain disappear for my daughter quiet quickly.

It was a great 4 days. We turned up around 9am each morning and stayed till about 8-9pm. Brother in law and I were either working on cars, the track setup, emptying the fridge of beer (gotta keep hydrated in a drought) or cooking BBQ's to feed everyone. I made chocolate mousse every day and each morning the bowl was empty ready for a fresh one.

Wed afternoon was spent tuning the timing system to the laptop and cars, Thursday getting the lights sorted out and Friday was the big night. Saturday was wind down day of fixing cars (my nephew wrecked 4 cars) and doing some analysis of the timing data.

Most of the cars were B4 clones made by Himoto, there was a legit B4 in there somewhere, and original '86 Kyosho Javelin, a few nitros and another model that looked like a B4 clone. The only rules are rear wheel drive and it has to have a sprint car body on it.

I might get back there during Easter next year for a weekend. I have 3 cars now that I need to strip down, service and return to buggy mode.

• Like 6

Looks like great fun :D good to see people getting together and doing more than just driving over ramps or doing donuts in the dirt.