Sign in to follow this  
Gazzalene

BL motor and capacitors/resistors?

Just looking through my new  Lancia Delta XV 01 kit parts and manual before I start the build.

Bought a HW 1060 esc and 15t "etronix" speed tuned motor,both nothing special I know. I was surprised to see the motor came with no resistors /capacitors fitted. I remember them coming on better motors. Was this for radio interference? should I be looking to fit some or leave as is?

I'm inclined to think they are not necessary. 

They were to prevent radio static.  Back in 2000, I soldered those things all over the place.  Even then I couldn't tell.  But now, maybe 2.4ghz receiver is less prone to static.  I haven't seen many of those capacitors used on motors recently.  (Huge capacitors are still used, but those are only for certain servos that are prone to glitch)

• Like 1

Thanks Jug, I had a idea it might of been for radio only, I was using a KO radio at the time with 27mhz crystal's !!!!  KO esprit if I recall, very well made, wish I kept it! 

A cap will definitely help prevent drowning out 27MHz radios with switching noise. With 2.4GHz radios it's less effective because the lead inductance between the brushes and motor terminals already kills most of the GHz noise.

• Like 1

caps on motor are for filtering rogue RF from sparking at brushes

probably disappeared due to cost cutting manufacture; oldskool were legged components soldered on but at one stage there was a little PCB with SMD caps on it that sat between the brush hoods on the endbell.

You can solder on your own, we used to buy 103 (10,000pF) or 104 (100,000pF) in ceramic or tantalum usually - doesn't matter which as long as they're UNpolarised=BiPolar

Polarised capacitors like electrolytic caps will blowup when reverse voltaged.

• Like 1