zappto

Toyota 4x4 pickup

Hello, i decided to restore my old truck from tamiya. Needed to rebuild whole car, wheels, chassis cleaning. changing bolts, gearbox stuck two gears, engine not working, no electronics, bumper broken, body work. It had a rough life. Few photos of my work, any advice a welcome.

48966428211_88cd3011a0_z.jpg

This is the truck first day.

48966614387_3e5a8ddde8_z.jpg

Wheels not spinning.

48966438821_f57a5c6d4f_z.jpg

Lubricating.

48966616122_5b06e8d9d4_z.jpg

Rear end.

48966621172_368f5dba79_z.jpg

Frame after cleaning.

48966634237_1700d6a209_z.jpg

Gearbox, took me a week to clean  it and put it back together.

48966444601_2a4a410c1a_z.jpg

48966628027_81602b3bbe_z.jpg

48966468466_05c07524b8_z.jpg

48966472051_823ab4a1f4_z.jpg

Front bumber.

48966484726_9a796b446e_z.jpg

Working on electronics.

• Like 12

Thank you Blissard, it is really interesting job to rebuild, it is realy far from the NIB, i need to do whole electronic job,and parts are so hard to find.

have a nice weekend.

I agree, I also restored my Hilux years ago but I could never run it because all my electronics had non matching connectors. I hope you can find a nice rubber motor cover.

You have a nice weekend too.

Nice to hear you rebuild yours, do you have a photo of it? I still need to do research on electronics , it is 4 channel system which is mistery for me.

I only have these 2 photos, I sanded the cast parts and sent them to other people to get them glass bead blasted. Mine used to be a messed up Blazing Blazer, with cut frame rails and scratched axles.

I only have this thread that shows the lowered bed I built for mine, you can see that I don't have any electronics mounted, also the original speed controller box is empty.

IMG_4632.JPG.bda722ded35c06f2808d7c7065d37599.JPG

IMG_4633.JPG.1f0ff469818573207c9b635715816d10.JPG

• Like 4

Yours looking really neatly done, glass blasting looks awesome, as new! i never tryed it before, i was using sand blasting. I think to using some kind of polish to make it shiny in the future. First thing to make it run;)

Thank you! The guy I sent my parts to asked me if I wanted brand new out of the box look or a shiny shelf queen look and I picked brand new look. I didn't polish any part. I hope you get to run yours without any problem. Your transmission housing also looks like new after sand blasting.

I have a problem searching info on the electronic system witch would work for 3 speed, i do not know which servo, receiver and transmitter to get for this model to make it as it was from the factory. I made it spin wheels using 2 channel system, but i want to make it change gears, i know i need to get 4 channel system. i was reading some 4 channel receiver do not work with other brand transmitter, do i need to get whole system of one brand? Might anyone have working model and can tell component names?

4 hours ago, zappto said:

I have a problem searching info on the electronic system witch would work for 3 speed, i do not know which servo, receiver and transmitter to get for this model to make it as it was from the factory. I made it spin wheels using 2 channel system, but i want to make it change gears, i know i need to get 4 channel system. i was reading some 4 channel receiver do not work with other brand transmitter, do i need to get whole system of one brand? Might anyone have working model and can tell component names?

If you want the exact radio system for your truck your will have to find a Futaba T4L.

I have one of those in my Bruiser. They're not hard to find, and they're not expensive, plus they look absolutely fantastic.

yGEYEU1.jpg

Thank you mangoose! a big help! i will check that. it is possible to use 5 channel and to make lights to blink with transmitter?

3 hours ago, zappto said:

Thank you mangoose! a big help! i will check that. it is possible to use 5 channel and to make lights to blink with transmitter?

You don't need a fifth channel, because although the radio has four channels you only use three of them. You can certainly use the fourth channel to hook up a light set. I think you can find a set of the vintage lamps for the Toyota headlamps. They look better than nowadays leds, but they do consume more energy from your battery pack.

Agree with @mongoose1983

Although the Futaba FP T3GS was cheaper back then - and there was no period switch set to turn vintage ‘grain of rice bulbs’ on / off with a fourth channel 

They came straight off the r/c battery 

The Acoms AP427 was also cheaper if you’re EU / 27 Mhz 

Both Futaba’s were better though 👍

On 11/1/2019 at 3:08 PM, mongoose1983 said:

I think you can find a set of the vintage lamps for the Toyota headlamps. They look better than nowadays leds,

I agree with that. I miss the days of getting miniature bulbs for my Lunch Box and Bullhead down at the local Radio Shack (RIP). BTW, random tid-bit, the car pictured in the lower right of the Futaba ad @mongoose1983 posted is THE RC10 ad car from the popular two page magazine ads back in the day.

• Like 1

Hello, i gathered information i can use transmiter: acoms ap427, servo acoms as-2, receiver ara 427, also find transmitter acoms ap535 FM possible for the car, servo as - 7, also transmitter - Futaba FP T3GS, i dont know which servo could fit this. Do i need to get same brand servo transmitter and receiver to make it work?

11 hours ago, zappto said:

Hello, i gathered information i can use transmiter: acoms ap427, servo acoms as-2, receiver ara 427, also find transmitter acoms ap535 FM possible for the car, servo as - 7, also transmitter - Futaba FP T3GS, i dont know which servo could fit this. Do i need to get same brand servo transmitter and receiver to make it work?

You can use ANY servos!  The only thing that changes is the plug. You can change that easily though.

Here's all the information you'll need to achieve your goals:

http://www.fatlion.com/sailplanes/servos.html

Transmitter and receiver must be of the same waveband , ie , 27mhz , 40mhz , AM / FM etc . In the UK you can't use 35MHZ for land use , only aero , check that too for use where you live , if not in the UK .

12 minutes ago, mongoose1983 said:

You can use ANY servos

The 3 speeds use a reverse servo in its configuration ( 2 in one direction and 1 in the opposite direction ) , so be aware of that

3 minutes ago, KEV THE REV said:

The 3 speeds use a reverse servo in its configuration ( 2 in one direction and 1 in the opposite direction ) , so be aware of that

Reverse servo? Anything different than the original Bruiser, Kev?

Oh, I wasn't aware of that, Kev. I am not familiar with Acoms radios. I believe and assume any vintage Futaba/Robbe servos would work, am I wrong?

Very true the Acoms AP427 sets - the AS3 was the flipped servo 

I thought the Futaba FP T3GS had servo reverse ?

it definitely came with three unbadged, black S18 servos 

Decided to keep the truck with manual gear box, i will run it using 2 chanel system, which i have already, might in the future will get 4 channel. Now i am considering to change stock leaf springs, they seems do not work at all, i push the truck it keeps still. What would be best option for the truck? I was reading High lift leaf springs can fit this truck. Any idea?