zappto

Toyota 4x4 pickup

Great work!

Bruiser, High-lift and Juggernaut leaf springs fit, semi truck leaf springs does not fit. High-lift leaves are connected with a screw so you can adjust them the way you want.

Bruiser leaf springs are the best option, they're softer and more flat. I have stock leaf springs on my Bruiser but I flattened them even more by flexing each layer by hand, they also became much softer.

IMG_4673.thumb.jpg.1b09767c556642230b2d959bc3d160ec.jpg

IMG_4675.thumb.jpg.a877efe7ca965c914b350a1d066233ff.jpg

• Like 2

hello, thank you for the info blissard, just ordered bruiser leafs. I was thinking to change brass bearings in the axle to ball bearings. Does it works better with ball bearings? do you know any place to get them? thank you.

On 11/14/2019 at 9:41 AM, zappto said:

hello, thank you for the info blissard, just ordered bruiser leafs. I was thinking to change brass bearings in the axle to ball bearings. Does it works better with ball bearings? do you know any place to get them? thank you.

Everything works better with ballbearing but if you brass bearing and you aren't trying to get that last minute of run time out of it I wouldn't bother. If they were the plastic bearings I'd say bin them ASAP, however the brass one do just fine. 

• Like 1

Hello, thank you for the info GTod! I will think about ball bearings later then. Now i am searching for correct color for the car to spray. I found in the manual color names: Black x1, white x2, blue -x3, green - x5, orange - x6, red - x7.  I think i can get all colors i need to paint small parts on the car, but i cant find main color for the car - red - x6. Any help would be great! thank you in advance.

On 11/14/2019 at 8:41 PM, zappto said:

You're welcome. I only use brass bearings, they work great if you grease them right and I like their vintage look.

Hello all, today was working on the front grill, it was badly damaged, few photos of my work.

49108643833_59e5912c09_z.jpg

49108650423_e4301f10de_z.jpg

• Like 7

Hi all, was trying to fix my old broken bumper, painted it grey. I still think to find a metal one to replace original, which is so easy to brake!. Today was trying front lights, used small warm white leds. Got screws for wheels, which was missing. Few photos:

49217351521_db027af434_z.jpgIMG_6083 by vito toto, on Flickr

49217567847_0af5232082_z.jpgIMG_6216 by vito toto, on Flickr

49216874208_a49734488c_z.jpgIMG_6214 by vito toto, on Flickr

49217586622_dc78a33fdb_z.jpgIMG_6215 by vito toto, on Flickr

• Like 2

On 11/24/2019 at 8:09 AM, zappto said:

Hello all, thank you KEV THE REV, Doc Hollywood. This is where it sits now, still a lot of work ahead, but it is getting there. Few photos.

49114368136_798b1450bf_z.jpgIMG_5667 by vito toto, on Flickr

49113857973_2014816371_z.jpgIMG_5666 by vito toto, on Flickr

49113856163_4bff146e7f_z.jpgIMG_5669 by vito toto, on Flickr

49114560462_8ae72448c4_z.jpgIMG_5668 by vito toto, on Flickr

badword this was a good looking truck. Got to be one of my all time favourites. Great resto job especially the grill.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, zappto said:

I still think to find a metal one

Yes , the plastic and small metal parts original are ok if the parts are good . I replaced the uprights and tubes on mine with aluminium one piece item and solid tube replacements

hilux bull bar close low.jpg

• Like 1

Hello Kew the rew, yours looking truly amazingly good! I really like aluminium bumper, looks like real car. Did you make it yours self, or did you buy it?

I made the solid aluminium tubes with end threads for the button head bolts , but I bought the uprights from member Twinset many years ago . If you contact Twinset he might be able to tell you where you can get them if they are still available

• Like 1

Thank you for info Kev, your truck looks really cool, do you have more photos? 

Today was working on the wires and servos, a lot of adjusting, made it run with gears , i am pleased with this 3 gear system, i bet it will run good on the grass. Wanted to ask, i am using original speed control, which gives very fast start of the motor and great speed, i am afraid to hit something, there are a way to make more responsive?

Few photos:

49252980277_10fcbbaa8c_z.jpgIMG_6262 by vito toto, on Flickr

49252311978_2abffda87c_z.jpgIMG_6264 by vito toto, on Flickr

49252983847_926bda7aea_z.jpgIMG_6268 by vito toto, on Flickr

So today was the day i got paints for the car. Was painting the grill, tamiya acrylic paints nice quality.

49293608363_75cdfb1cec_z.jpg

• Like 2

I have always wanted one of those. I was on my short list when I was buying Tamiya cars in the 1980s. I never got one though, because it was around $300 for the kit if I remember. Wish I had a chrystal ball to see what those sell for these days.. lol. 

• Like 1

On 21 December 2019 at 11:21 PM, zappto said:

Today was working on the wires and servos, a lot of adjusting, made it run with gears , i am pleased with this 3 gear system, i bet it will run good on the grass. Wanted to ask, i am using original speed control, which gives very fast start of the motor and great speed, i am afraid to hit something, there are a way to make more responsive?

Original intended battery is 6.0V not 7.2V  

For running in tight indoor spaces a 4cell pack is even better.

37 minutes ago, Tudorp said:

I have always wanted one of those. I was on my short list when I was buying Tamiya cars in the 1980s. I never got one though, because it was around $300 for the kit if I remember.

Same. Crazy expensive when new, never even saw it in any shop only in the foreign RC magazines... became a nagging childhood dream itch that needed scratching. 

• Like 1

me too. When I was doing all that, it was in the early 1980s, and $300 was a butt load of money for a young Air Force guy back then. By the time I saw one of these, I already spent more on the wild willy, super champ and the Graupner rowdy baja I had then, than I had in my real car I had to depend on to get me back and forth to base.. hahhah. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Tudorp said:

me too. When I was doing all that, it was in the early 1980s, and $300 was a butt load of money for a young Air Force guy back then. By the time I saw one of these, I already spent more on the wild willy, super champ and the Graupner rowdy baja I had then, than I had in my real car I had to depend on to get me back and forth to base.. hahhah. 

Uhuh, uhuh!

Yeah it's an odd feeling once you've worked out your RCs inside the boot is worth more than the 1:1. 

A friend let me drive his brandnew M38 back in 1983. Got added to bucket list, didn't see another example till 1999... which I bought, got into this crazy vintage hobby etc etc... today that wreck is still in same tatty heap. :unsure::lol:

• Like 2

Nice job OP. Painting parts like the grill etc is very enjoyable I find.

Blissard i have the rerelease Mountain Rider 84386. Do you know if the bruiser leaf springs you refer to are what I would have in this newer kit? Ie are they the same or different (softer)? If so do you know the part number of the softer ones?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CoolHands said:

Nice job OP. Painting parts like the grill etc is very enjoyable I find.

Blissard i have the rerelease Mountain Rider 84386. Do you know if the bruiser leaf springs you refer to are what I would have in this newer kit? Ie are they the same or different (softer)? If so do you know the part number of the softer ones?

The leaf springs I used are vintage ones that came with my Bruiser, they are softer and flatter, I don't know the part number unfortunately. Re-re Mounty leaf springs should be as same as High-Lift leaves, you can still modify them the way you want, you can also add or reduce leaves because they are connected with a screw unlike vintage Bruiser leaves. I softened and flattened a set for my Jeep and they work great.

• Like 1

Hello, i changed leafs to Bruiser ones, they are much softer, but front still a bit to hard. Also added shocks from super racing buggy. Got ball bearings for my axles, and they make miracle, wheels are spinning now nicely. Installed front bumper holder from steel, painted black, they are not likely to brake easy! Now i am in search ball bearing which goes to the wheel hubs, they are big ones. Still cant find where to buy. Any help would be great. 

Few photos:

49372771781_40181c0644_z.jpgIMG_6614 by vito toto, on Flickr

49372970447_f804b077ef_z.jpgIMG_6613 by vito toto, on Flickr

Bumper uprights look great .

Do you know the size of the front bearings ? . RCbearings.co.uk have a great stock bearings , I use them all of the time