Sign in to follow this  
mtbkym01

Narrow the rear track of TA06

The build I’m doing with my TA06 has me using 9mm offset rear wheels, which has them slightly outside the width of the body. I’m thinking by getting thinner hex’s I might be able to narrow the track on the rear. Does anyone know where I might find such a thing? I’ve checked on eBay and found some 3mm ones but with in excess of $20USD shipping :blink:

Or, does anyone know how else I might be able to narrow the track on the rear of the car? I’m probably looking for 2-3mm each side

Narrowest i have heard of that are readily available are 4mm. To narrow the rear end further you could buy narrower rear suspension blocks. If you keep 2 deg rear toe in i think you can go to tbe 1X rear block with 1XD front blocks. Every step narrower is 0.75mm per side. Have a read of this. 

https://www.thercracer.com/2017/01/tamiya-suspension-mount-ultimate.html?m=0

• Thanks 1

Old HPI cars used to have super narrow hexs on one of the parts trees. Never knew what cars they were for but came in handy for narrowing track width. You could always shave down the plastic hexes carefully on a belt sander. That would easily give you a couple mm. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

Narrowest i have heard of that are readily available are 4mm. To narrow the rear end further you could buy narrower rear suspension blocks. If you keep 2 deg rear toe in i think you can go to tbe 1X rear block with 1XD front blocks. Every step narrower is 0.75mm per side. Have a read of this. 

https://www.thercracer.com/2017/01/tamiya-suspension-mount-ultimate.html?m=0

So my TA06 actually already has 4mm alloy hexes, so it seems I’m going to need to go to FR and RR blocks to get it narrower, the issue I now have is that attached document confuses the expletive out of me. I believe my car currently has the “standard” blocks in it presently, so how do I know what they would be, to then know what I’ll need to go to to get between 2 and 3 mm reduction each side, and then, how do I even find the parts that I’ll need, once I’ve identified what ones will give me the track reduction I need. Far out this on road stuff is insane :huh:

**edit - so I can see the part numbers below in the doc which is great, but I can’t tell how to reduce the width, while maintaining around 2deg toe

21 hours ago, mtbkym01 said:

So my TA06 actually already has 4mm alloy hexes, so it seems I’m going to need to go to FR and RR blocks to get it narrower, the issue I now have is that attached document confuses the expletive out of me. I believe my car currently has the “standard” blocks in it presently, so how do I know what they would be, to then know what I’ll need to go to to get between 2 and 3 mm reduction each side, and then, how do I even find the parts that I’ll need, once I’ve identified what ones will give me the track reduction I need. Far out this on road stuff is insane :huh:

**edit - so I can see the part numbers below in the doc which is great, but I can’t tell how to reduce the width, while maintaining around 2deg toe

It took me a while to figure all this out too. The standard rear comfiguration in the TA06 is a 1D RR mount in plastic (regular or reinforced depending on spec of kit. Only the TA06-R got aluminium). The narrowest possible mounts are the 1XD. So, 1XD is your starting point for the FR mount because to generate toe in it has to be narrower at the front of the arms than the rear. Using the chart that states that 2 deg toe in is generated on a 1XD FR mount with a 1X RR mount. The mounts are 0.75mm per step narrower and the 1X is 4 steps narrower than the stock 1D, so it will make the track 3mm narrower by chaning blocks (1.5mm per side). It's not as much as you want, but the best that can be achieved. The blocks you need are 1XD Split 54175 and 1X 54068 or 51069. Worth noting the Yeah Racing do good blocks for much less. Rcmart have a few random sizes of these on sale right now. Just search ta06 hopups. I picked up certain block options for a couple of bucks. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

It took me a while to figure all this out too. The standard rear comfiguration in the TA06 is a 1D RR mount in plastic (regular or reinforced depending on spec of kit. Only the TA06-R got aluminium). The narrowest possible mounts are the 1XD. So, 1XD is your starting point for the FR mount because to generate toe in it has to be narrower at the front of the arms than the rear. Using the chart that states that 2 deg toe in is generated on a 1XD FR mount with a 1X RR mount. The mounts are 0.75mm per step narrower and the 1X is 4 steps narrower than the stock 1D, so it will make the track 3mm narrower by chaning blocks (1.5mm per side). It's not as much as you want, but the best that can be achieved. The blocks you need are 1XD Split 54175 and 1X 54068 or 51069. Worth noting the Yeah Racing do good blocks for much less. Rcmart have a few random sizes of these on sale right now. Just search ta06 hopups. I picked up certain block options for a couple of bucks. 

Thanks, I really appreciate that info

With these hop up blocks, do I need inserts for the suspension pins or do they fit into the alloy blocks as is?

the reduction I can achieve if I incorporate the 3mm hex’s linked above and these blocks will be 2.5mm each side which may be perfect.

• Like 1