bjorklo

Nimrod Dyna Lightning

Logo02_zpsr9azi7f3.png

This have been a project I have wanted to do for a very long time now. So what have been stopping me. Well the fact that Nimrod who make the special parts don’t produce em anymore and that these parts most likely were not sold to many of, have done the search for the parts take a very long time. I started to hope this would be possible when I managed to get hold on a package with several of the parts from Lee in the Dyna Storm fb group. And just recently I decided to ask around if anyone had the parts and we’re willing to sell em to me or to make an drawing of them. To my luck I was offered the blade wheels from Paul a fellow TC member and Jochen actually took his great car apart just to make me an 1:1 drawing of the chassis plate and a rough drawing of the undercover. So thank you very much to them. In the overview picture Nimrod made of parts for the Dyna Storm it looks like they uses the TR-15T transmission and yet another TC member, Michael, stepped up and offered me a complete transmission.

I have learned allot from Paul and Jochen about the story of Nimrod and the parts, I will try to share some of it through this project thread.

So why Dyna Lightning? I saw this name on the car to Jochen and asked him if this was a name he had given to the model or Nimrod. This is actually the name Nimrod gave to this model and they also made an sticker to go with the model. So I will have to get one of those. Would love to find one original but i think I will have to get one made.

So here are some pictures of the parts I got so far.

IMG_3649_zpsd3ydqfzu.jpg

Since the rear suspension arms area Nimrod V3 version (most likely) they have been designed like the TR-15T arms and are a bit longer than standards, they do need longer drive shafts.

IMG_3665_zpssui1smwp.jpg

A fun fact, from Paul the previous owner of the wheels: “The Nimrod rear rims were modelled to accept modern 2.2 tires, so were wider and had a larger diameter than the Tamiya star dish rims. I wanted a set to fit the original tires, so they custom made these and were the only set in existence at the time. In fact you may well have the only set in the whole world :)

How cool isn’t that

IMG_3647_zpswixlnvqk.jpg

The rear wheels

IMG_3663_zpsj5zhcln7.jpg

IMG_3658_zpslg878lej.jpg

IMG_3659_zpsyabzggvp.jpg

And the front wheels

IMG_3662_zps4qtm5ug7.jpg

IMG_3661_zpslighwu46.jpg

IMG_3660_zps8e300yb0.jpg

The motor cover

IMG_3657_zpshob0f6jm.jpg

The rear suspension arms

IMG_3656_zpstsxdwa86.jpg

IMG_3655_zpsnfkamday.jpg

The front suspension arms

IMG_3653_zpsqcyxpv7v.jpg

IMG_3652_zpsremirmyp.jpg

The front mounting block

IMG_3654_zpst1zyinaq.jpg

And the front bumper

IMG_3651_zps2xrkzzh5.jpg

So what is next? I need to decide if I should use my new built Dyna Storm as a donor car for this one or if I should get another one, or try to get the missing parts I need to complete the car.

There is also some remaining parts that Nimrod made that I’m searching for as the very special upper to lower deck they made, and the air flow channel to the motor and probably some i have forgot right now. Also in the overview picture I found on their website it was a special rear damper tower this i have been told was not made for sale so I will have to replicate it. I will also where possible make carbon fiber parts even if Nimrod maybe didn’t do it.

To get the strongest possible gearbox for the car I decided to go with the TR-15T just like it seems Nimrod did with their car. In addition there are also some other parts from the TR-15T i think can be used since them were on the overview picture from Nimrod

E51227A0-2CEC-421B-8B12-1E590EFB3AA4_zps

C410778D-CAAA-4E80-BEE6-17D847FBD3AF_zps

EB984268-4658-42C7-A5EA-26E8CBF2F7A4_zps

4F26AAFC-18EF-4B80-A1C8-57D8FB81537D_zps

I also managed to get an donor car for this project which will be good for the little things I need that I haven’t thought about. But most importantly this means I don’t have to use my shelfqueen for parts in this build. Hopefully it will arrive sometime within a month.

54E5CB6C-D54E-45B5-921E-DC1D263CE0B1_zps

7C7943E8-CB63-4441-ADEC-50EBAD21859B_zps

C1A726DC-849C-4D88-85DC-76C61D934DF6_zps

107C0865-1EFE-4B93-9E2F-2000CC63B9A3_zps

24157B95-1C2F-4366-A861-FC4E56A442E7_zps

• Like 6

7 hours ago, Collin said:

Twiddling tumbs! :wub:

... but somehow I am more curious about your organ donor. A Dyna BlasterStorm,... doesent show up so often and I think its even more interesting to keep this in a piece.

https://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=69011&id=22258

Wow, if that car really is an 211X it will for sure not become an donor car for this project but a project itself to be restored. Could I really be this lucky? Thanks Collin for making me aware of this. 

Looking closer and comparing some of the special parts such as suspension arms and front damper tower it seems to have been replaced with "standard" tamiya parts so not sure what this car is. Is it a dyna storm that have been tried converted into an 211x or an 211x that needed some new parts I guess would not be that easy to get hold on, so the previous owner had gotten Dyna Storm parts, I don't know.. But the body looks to be the same and I would guess that is lot easy to come by, so that makes me suspect that it could have been an 211x in the start, maybe? But then again looking at the alu plate the motor is mounted to this one is also original Dyna Storm, and I can't really see how it would have needed replacement. Nevertheless I'm looking forward to getting it to compare it with my original Dyna Storm.

Looking even more and I see the front bulkhead are not 211x and the top chassis plate. So now I'm pretty sure this is just an racers car that knew about the 211x and tried to convert his/her car and give it some of the advantages the 211x had.  Pretty sure @pUs could confirm my suspect. 

Oh man!!! Suddenly it's 2008!!! Envious!! I never received any parts I ordered from Nimrod other than the suspension blocks. 

• Like 1

Definitly nothing more then a DS with DB Chassis and (propably) Losi XX shell. It became a common mod that time, to extende wheelbase. 

The car at the showroom is something very special and shure not mich to do with your donor.

But anyway this is on my todo list and I wanted to point in it because you dont see this mix often. 

So keep on! 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, GTodd said:

Oh man!!! Suddenly it's 2008!!! Envious!! I never received any parts I ordered from Nimrod other than the suspension blocks. 

Ohh man, to bad you didn't get all the parts you ordered.  I just wish I knew about this parts back then. 

9 minutes ago, Collin said:

Definitly nothing more then a DS with DB Chassis and (propably) Losi XX shell. It became a common mod that time, to extende wheelbase. 

The car at the showroom is something very special and shure not mich to do with your donor.

But anyway this is on my todo list and I wanted to point in it because you dont see this mix often. 

So keep on! 

Yeah... Then this one is going to be taken apart and used for spares. And maybe one day I will consider trying to replicate the 211x

11 minutes ago, bjorklo said:

Ohh man, to bad you didn't get all the parts you ordered.  I just wish I knew about this parts back then. 

Yeah... Then this one is going to be taken apart and used for spares. And maybe one day I will consider trying to replicate the 211x

I don't think it'd be too hard to make 211x. You can get the chassis from Fibrelyte, they can also make the shorter shock tower and that some of them ran with, and the super Astute arms they used are readily available, for now anyway!

• Like 1

I am in processing TRF211x based fiber parts such as chassis, upper deck and shorter shock towers. But no replica, more like dedicated too.

Back to nimrod. I guess this Dyna Lightning is too rare to be driven, right? What I really like are the rims and the airhose. Both really affects motor temp. Airhose could be another winterproject for 3D modelling.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, GTodd said:

I don't think it'd be too hard to make 211x. You can get the chassis from Fibrelyte, they can also make the shorter shock tower and that some of them ran with, and the super Astute arms they used are readily available, for now anyway!

True, could be possible to make one that somehow on first sight looks like one without being the real thing.  We'll see. 

12 minutes ago, Collin said:

I am in processing TRF211x based fiber parts such as chassis, upper deck and shorter shock towers. But no replica, more like dedicated too.

Back to nimrod. I guess this Dyna Lightning is too rare to be driven, right? What I really like are the rims and the airhose. Both really affects motor temp. Airhose could be another winterproject for 3D modelling.

👍🏼 

Yeah this one is for the shelf, I wouldn't dare to drive it. Yeah I will try to get the airhose replicated, but I think my 3d drawing skills aren't good enough so will have to find someone to help me out. 

15 minutes ago, bjorklo said:

Yeah this one is for the shelf, I wouldn't dare to drive it.

<_< -_-

What about a short shakedown, to shoot a video for the guys here on TC? :D

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, jeekelemental said:

<_< -_-

What about a short shakedown, to shoot a video for the guys here on TC? :D

Yeah that would be cool. But would just be on road with no jumps.. 😛 boooooring 😂. I will consider it.. 

• Like 1

Interesting build👍

But where's the all green Ta01 build I've been waiting for?? 🤔

• Like 1

On 10/31/2019 at 11:01 AM, Collin said:

Yeah, I have seen them. That should be good enough photos to replicate the part.  That is Jochen's car, so maybe I can get some more photos from him. 

20 hours ago, svenb said:

Interesting build👍

But where's the all green Ta01 build I've been waiting for?? 🤔

thanks. 

Got a bit bored building that chassis, and when the the parts also had different shade of green I kind of lost interest.. but will get it done one day, just need to get the parts from the donor car washed.  

Following this thread with interest! Still my favorite Tamiya 2WD Buggy. :rolleyes: And Nimrod was such a cool Company, focussing on improving it´s perfomance.

All the best for the project,

Matthias

• Like 1

All I can do to support your great project I will do. I can send more photos as a file if you want.

Regards, Jochen

IMG_20191101_164710-P50.jpg

IMG_20191101_164720-P50.jpg

IMG_20191101_164735-P50.jpg

IMG_20191101_164838-P50.jpg

• Like 1

When Nimrod still produced parts, I took the Dyna Lighning for bashing, therefore  the fastening tab was broken. However, since the part fits so exactly into the structure an attachment is hardly necessary, a moss rubber block is enough:

IMG_20191101_165458-P50.jpg

IMG_20191101_165513-P50.jpg

IMG_20191101_165542-P50.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ruebiracer said:

Following this thread with interest! Still my favorite Tamiya 2WD Buggy. :rolleyes: And Nimrod was such a cool Company, focussing on improving it´s perfomance.

All the best for the project,

Matthias

Thanks Matthias. Yeah for me it's definitely one of my top favourite 2wd buggy's.

2 hours ago, joe999 said:

All I can do to support your great project I will do. I can send more photos as a file if you want.

Regards, Jochen

IMG_20191101_164710-P50.jpg

IMG_20191101_164720-P50.jpg

IMG_20191101_164735-P50.jpg

IMG_20191101_164838-P50.jpg

Thanks so much Jochen this is highly appreciated. 

2 hours ago, joe999 said:

When Nimrod still produced parts, I took the Dyna Lighning for bashing, therefore  the fastening tab was broken. However, since the part fits so exactly into the structure an attachment is hardly necessary, a moss rubber block is enough:

IMG_20191101_165458-P50.jpg

IMG_20191101_165513-P50.jpg

IMG_20191101_165542-P50.jpg

Auch, to bad that happened. But good thing that it stays in place with the moss rubber block. 

Very interesting details. I think there need to be a shaped model 1:1 taken from the car.

I hope you guys are patient, winter is coming and I will invest some time into this.

But one thing. What does a air-intake brings if it takes the air from inside the shell? If you ask me, I would do a completely new design.

1 hour ago, Collin said:

... But one thing. What does a air-intake brings if it takes the air from inside the shell? If you ask me, I would do a completely new design.

The air is taken from outside the shell:

Intake.jpg.0b870166797cc1a0634c843d28530d2a.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ya man! just had a look at my DS. Its all right how it is. Just had a notch in my brain.

Hi @joe999, Jochen.

Is there anyway that you could try to take some measurements of the motor air intake? Maybe lay it on a paper and write some of the measurements on it. And do it for as many as possible sides of it? This would for sure help for 3D modeling it. 

this is such a complex part and fits so well that it literally locks in and does not need to be fixed. Therefore, I think that 2D drawings do not lead to the goal. I consider with which material I could  mold the part. Do you have an idea?

Regards, Jochen

• Like 1