jc_smith

Lipo recommendations for a stock TT-02B

Hey all,

This is my first post so be gentle.. ;)  I am looking to get back into RC after loving it in my youth and am looking for a bit of help regarding the new battery technologies.

I am planning on getting my first Tamiya, a Plasma Edge II (TT-02B) and am thinking I'll go straight into a Lipo battery solution for it.

I am looking at this charger, which I think should do the job: https://www.modelsport.co.uk/overlander-rc-s65-ac-65w-balance-charger-discharger/rc-car-products/442669

But what I am unsure of is which 2S Lipo I should go for as I don't have the car yet so am unsure of dimensions etc..

Can you guys give any tried and tested recommendations please?

Thanks in advance! :)

I use some from amazon

FLOUREON 3S 25C 2200mAh 2 pack for £27

FLOUREON 3S Lipo Battery 25C 11.1V 2200mAh XT60 Plug RC Drone Battery Pack for RC Car Truck RC Boat Traxxas Slash Flame Kyosho Racing Truck (2pack) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00N79TEBC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_bviUDb4EGCC7F

im using on a £30 gool-RC motor And ESC 

i also have a  T-plug  to XT60 connector and a T-plug  to tamiya connector velcroed inside the shell 

JJ

• Like 1

That charger looks good, looks to be a rebrand of the SkyRC S65, I have the S60 and no complaints. Only thing I would say is think about a dual charger if you're going to run a few cars - I find 2 single chargers a hassle, twice the space, need to powerpoints etc

As for battery dimensions, the TT02B has a pretty generous space for a  battery so any stick pack should be fine. I've used Racing Performer and Turnigy and there is heaps of space - to the point you really want some foam tape to pack it and stop movement. You could consider a shorty pack as they are used in modern cars - I have mostly shorties and use dense foam velcroed in to pack them out. Sounds obvious but  you can use a shorty in any application you can use a stick pack but not the other way around so they are more versatile. They also come in big capacity packs too

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies, this is great. :)

So, for the time being I want to keep the motor and esc stock until I get back in to the swing of it.

The Lipo's all have a different connectors (deans/xt60) etc..  Should I just get a Tamiya plug --> deans/xt60 adaptor or solder a new connector onto the esc?

Thanks

Due to the higher current you'll want to solder on a new connecter. Remember to only cut and solder one wire at a time so as to not accidently short the battery. Deans or Xt60 are best for Lipo's... Oh I see you mean the speedo! Same advice but you'll not have to worry about a short. 

• Like 1

You see yourself adding other cars to your fleet in the future, possibly vintage ones, might I recommend the Core RC rounded lipo? This has the same overall dimensions as an "old skool" nickel metal hydride battery, so will fit in both vintage and modern cars without a problem. It comes with a female Deans connector, so you would be best soldering a male Deans connector to your speed controller rather than using an adaptor.

• Like 1

That's a good point.. I was thinking of keeping an eye out for some used vintage stuff further down the line..  Will look into the Core RC models too.

So I guess the only other thing I'll need is a low voltage checker/alarm as I am planning on using the stock Tamiya esc.

Does this one look ok?  https://www.modelsport.co.uk/absima-lipo-voltage-checker-and-alarm/rc-car-products/434435

Once again, thanks to everyone for all your help.

3 minutes ago, jc_smith said:

That's a good point.. I was thinking of keeping an eye out for some used vintage stuff further down the line..  Will look into the Core RC models too.

So I guess the only other thing I'll need is a low voltage checker/alarm as I am planning on using the stock Tamiya esc.

Does this one look ok?  https://www.modelsport.co.uk/absima-lipo-voltage-checker-and-alarm/rc-car-products/434435

Once again, thanks to everyone for all your help.

That will work but it is a lot more expensive and bulkier than it needs to be. These are the ones I use:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Loud-Hailer-Lipo-Battery-Voltage-Alarm-Display-Checker-2-3s-LED-for-RC-Heli-J2h4/2076444606

• Like 1

I have a similar LiPo alarm (on ebay as "BX100 LiPo Tester") which looks identical to that one but has a black casing. Works great! I prefer one with a plastic casing rather than just heatshrink because the balance connector on a LiPo does not have current limiting. If it manages to short out, potentially you have a fire. I have the case of mine taped as extra security against it coming apart, and it is zip tied to the battery hold down so it can't flop about in the chassis.

• Like 1

I've used the Turnigy hard case batteries and they fit great. 2S and 5000mAh means fantastic run times. I use XT60 connectors but I don't think there is much between them all. Been very happy with the XT60 as you can't get it wrong, easy to disconnect and reconnect and very positive. I guess people find something they like and stick with it.