Juggular

Acrylic paint?

Has anybody tried acrylic paint?

I’ll have to paint indoors until spring time.  Acrylic would be better if I’m going to air brush.  I doubt acrylic paint can be as strong as lacquer...  but maybe somebody has tried it and know that it is durable enough?  Or maybe they flake off on impact?  

What would be the verdict?

What are you painting. If its ABS etc Acrylic is brilliant. Waterbased much less odour and easier to clean airbrush. If your doing Lexan/polycarbonate then the Jurys out. If your doing high impact bodies then I would suggest it is not suitable as it does sometimes flake off when stressed. Having said that if you are airbrushing the paint is so thin it may be ok. Also it might help to back it with a PS colour to act as a second skin. For a shelf queen or low use body you can use it on the inside and the out. Give the surface a good going over with a green pad first.Much greater choice of colours as well. Halfords auto paints are acrylic based, I have a peice of lexan somewhere that i used as a test peice sprayed with Halfords Brilliant Orange and you can bend it twist it and no cracks? Hope this doesnt muddy the water too much. Best bet is try on off cuts and see what you think but keep the thickness to a minimum.

• Like 1

I have a mate (who actually owns my LHS) who airbrushes bodies, he uses acrylic airbrush paint, and then backs them with PS1. He does a lot of bodies and they turn out great and last very well

48949577291_774b5d4673_k.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Acrylic is far simpler with airbrush than lacquer alternative. I back with PS clear just incase but see no advantage of lacquer on lexan.

Make sure you given a little time between coats or it can mud crack a bit easier than PS.

I use Fascolor, wicked colors and generic and tbh - v little difference once properly thinned (imo).

• Like 2

I think the backing with PS paint of some type is the key to longevity. It seems to seal in the acrylics.

• Like 1

Wow, so, sticking to the lexan surface isn't a problem, but scuffing is.  Who'd have thought. 

Thank you very much, guys.  

I have an airbrush set that's collecting dust.  I'll give it a go.  I always use a respirator even when I'm painting outdoors.  (Lexan bodies are shaped like a bowl, I always get half the spray back into my face. I think Tamiya should have another cartoon explaining this blow-back effect)    

eifcGFt.jpg

For acrylics, though, I might just use a paper mask to catch fine mist.  I have 3 bodies that require 8-9 colors total.  3 application of lacquer is a lot less toxic than 9.  

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Pteppic said:

I use these paints so I can safely air brush indoors and in the winter: https://www.everythingairbrush.com/airbrush-paints/vallejo-premium-color.html

I'd still recommend a mask to protect from airbourne particles, but the paint is water based, non toxic and flexible when used on Lexan.

I've looked that these before but never went through with them.  It would be interesting to understand how good they are please?  Strong colours? effective metallic? etc etc.

4 hours ago, Andyfish2000 said:

I've looked that these before but never went through with them.  It would be interesting to understand how good they are please?  Strong colours? effective metallic? etc etc.

Dark solid colours and white seem to lay down really nicely, lighter colours (especially Yellow) can need a fair few coats. Be aware of tip dry if spraying on a warm day, I was spraying at the height of summer and it was an issue if I waited too long between passes (thinner did help) - i mostly spray and decal bodies in the winter when it doesn't look fun outside.

Metallics are OK,  but usually need backing with something solid.

Biggest problem I've had is with black which seems to have thicken in the bottle (or I've had it too long or didn't close it properly)

Clean-up is easy using water and a final pass with proper air-brush cleaner. 

Attached are photos of bodies I've sprayed.

First photo the Purple Subaru in the left is Vallejo, Subaru XV next to it is Tamiya paints.

DSC_0279.jpg

DSC_0264.jpg

DSC_0274.jpg

DSC_0281.jpg

DSC_0282.jpg

DSC_0287.jpg

DSC_0288.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've painted two of my bodies with polyurethane paints (acrylic based). Works well with polycarbonate as well as anything. You need to dilute it in thinner and do a proper mixture. Mixture doesn't always have to be in the same volume. It depends on the application and surface material.

• Like 1