SuperChamp82

Porsche 934 - The Set

Aside from the first 58001 and original Black, what vintage 934s would make it into your collectors set ?

There have been so many anniversary editions and re re’s it now hard to separate quality from Tamiya opportunism but to start the ball rolling I’d add the 30th anniversary kit and limited edition Black GT01 ?

To be honest - apart from the two original old ones - none of them. The topic 934 Porsche has been so sucked out by Tamiya that I can't see any of them anymore. Even a 30th Anniversary has become so annoying that I don't even click on it anymore when one is for sale.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Particularly as the recent ones were slightly fudged to fit on a chassis with a wheelbase never designed for the body shell.

• Like 1

The vintage 934’s are a crude motorized chassis and not really comparable to the recent 934 releases. 

062604020.jpg

The Tamtech 934 is a very underrated car. The chassis needs some choice hop ups to make it exciting but the body is really nice. 

04.18.15%20035_zps3icmadjs.jpg

The 30th anniversary kits is super nice. The body and chassis are top notch. Anybody hating on this car is just jealous.

00EBB74D-133D-45BC-8973-A475BEB7A078_zps

The 40th anniversary car is awesome but not as a whole.  The tricked out TA-02 is a killer chassis to use under all your short wheelbase cars like the Porsche GT2 and Lancia Rally.  The body is great to use for spares for the 30th anniversary car 

AA712BF1-BB01-4231-BA76-B961AE40C4F2_zps

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Shodog said:

The 30th anniversary kits is super nice. The body and chassis are top notch. Anybody hating on this car is just jealous.

Regarding the 49400 30th Anniversary I can only partly agree.
The effort that Tamiya put into the really great body and chassis doesn't go all the way to the wheels. To look at an 911 Porsche without having to look at wider rear wheels hurts my eye deeply and I cannot tolerate this in any way, especially with a 1000$ kit.  Strangely enough, this was consistently implemented in every other cheap 911.
Of course this is an issue that can be easily fixed, but i don't see the need to buy an extra set of wheels when i spend this amount of money for a kit.

just my 2 Cents

Oh- by the way - your 40 anny looks killer. That's the wheels i would have liked to see on the 49400

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, scoobybooster said:

The effort that Tamiya put into the really great body and chassis doesn't go all the way to the wheels. To look at an 911 Porsche without having to look at wider rear wheels hurts my eye deeply and I cannot tolerate this in any way, especially with a 1000$ kit.

Realize the 30th is a race car and has wheels that use the same size tires front and back. In addition the wheel is solid and mesh part is add on. Their really nice and strong. 

CA77FC5D-AE63-4970-B549-10211B4AE659_zps

The two piece wheels wheels that Tamiya spec’d for the 40th and has used since the Taisan Porsche look great but are junk. The gold plastic used on the wheel centers is so brittle they will easily break with just mellow running.  Including these in the 30th would have been a downgrade.  

• Like 1

I have a 40th anniversary black special (well, 2 really) and i think its great.

Enough hop ups to male it feel a little special, the gold decals to replicate the best 934 (first black special).

All at a price that means you can actually run it if you wish.

Yeah, ok, so slight wheelbase issues sometimes but its a decent quality 934 kit that doesnt cost so much as to make it too valuable to run.

If the 40th didnt exist i wouldn't be able to own any 934 as im pretty sure all other variants are now pretty valuable.

As long as anything 934 is a better standard than other contemporary road cars (hop ups included etc) then keep them coming i say. 

If things go the way they always do the 40th will end up going up in value like all the others do, so, eventually we will need another.

1/10 hard body 50th anniversary would be epic! 

If i was collecting 934s id want them all. 934s id like to be in my general tamiya collection would be the 40th (as i like to be able to run my cars) and a 58001 black for obvious reasons. Ive no real interest in non black liveries and as cool as the 30th is, they are too expensive so a 40th makes more sense.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, graemevw said:

If the 40th didnt exist i wouldn't be able to own any 934 as im pretty sure all other variants are now pretty valuable.

I feel the same way.  I bought a 30th kit when they came out in ‘06 and couldn’t bring myself to break up such a beautiful kit. I wanted a runner and bought a spare body at a crazy price and was planning to make a shortened TRF415 to fit the body.  

I’m glad Tamiya came out with the 40th.  I built one but like others I was annoyed by the wheelbase issue.

1B8A835F-0774-43E3-A318-A97D396BB5C4_zps

With that said I still bought a few more kits as it’s a great deal for everything it comes with.  

568AF2EB-D2BF-4C49-A30F-50CB3D38961A_zps

One of the factory hopped chassis will go under my martini GT2 body.   Since the bodies have been so inexpensive and available I’ve picked up a few so that I can paint up a bunch of variants for my 30th Runner I bought this year.

129838AF-0994-44CD-A58E-F6CC76573981_zps

• Like 3

On 11/2/2019 at 6:39 PM, Shodog said:

I was annoyed by the wheelbase issue

just to confirm what exactly is this wheelbase issue that everyone speaks of? that the wheelbase is slightly too long for the intended chassis?

I’d just be happy if they did a complete re-release of the original one, regardless of its faults and the fact technology has moved on.

Just totally original.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, MockTurtle said:

just to confirm what exactly is this wheelbase issue that everyone speaks of? that the wheelbase is slightly too long for the intended chassis?

The chassis wheelbase is a little longer than the body wheelbase. It tends to vary from car to car though and also depends how you set the ride height and body height.

• Thanks 1

You can fudge the wheelbase issue by drilling your body holes in a slightly different location than the body hole mark on the body. 

Tamiya should have come out with a special 7mm shorter chassis, top deck and prop shaft. 

• Like 2

On 11/5/2019 at 11:57 PM, Shodog said:

You can fudge the wheelbase issue by drilling your body holes in a slightly different location than the body hole mark on the body. 

Tamiya should have come out with a special 7mm shorter chassis, top deck and prop shaft. 

The thing is, the problem varies. No way i could use a 7mm shorter chassis on mine. If i was to shorten it i wouldnt go much more than maybe 3mm.

I thing it depends alot on ride height as it changes the wheelbase alot. Also body angle.

When i had got both those how i wanted it the wheelbase issue wasnt much of a problem.

I havent measured, but im sure mine is a bit shorter on one side too. Ill measure it all properly one day but im sure the chassis isnt even square!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, graemevw said:

The thing is, the problem varies. No way i could use a 7mm shorter chassis on mine. If i was to shorten it i wouldnt go much more than maybe 3mm.

I thing it depends alot on ride height as it changes the wheelbase alot. Also body angle.

When i had got both those how i wanted it the wheelbase issue wasnt much of a problem.

I havent measured, but im sure mine is a bit shorter on one side too. Ill measure it all properly one day but im sure the chassis isnt even square!

You arent the first person to mention that either. I have one but have not built it yet but can only assume this must be an issue with the two carbon decks fixed to the front and rear gearboxes on the Ta02SW 40th anniversary edition porsches. I have regular Ta02sw plastic tub chassis as standard for the porsche gt2 kit and it seems fine on that. In fact its probably the best and most real world looking fit of chassis and shell than all of the other touring cars.

• Like 1

Thanks guys - really interesting 

Agree the 30th Ed is likely a must in ‘The Set’ - but fascinated the consensus seems to include its 10 year / 40th Ed sibling ? 

Esp given the stupid wheelbase issue everyone rightly complains about and, for me, an underwhelming spec even for affordable money ?

Also surprised there little love for the Black GT01 Ed - as for me it’s the only pearl in a sea of Black re re opportunism ?

Not sure about the TamTech - I agree the body looks spot on but the innards hold little excitement ? And driving them always feels like a toy - but that’s possibly unfair given their scale / price / goal 

Finally, epic work @Shodog - that 40th car is incredible sir 👍

• Like 1

Decided to put my 2020 goals comment + this thread into action gents ...

So a NIB Black GT01 with full hop ups is now sorted + I’m on the hunt for a NIB 49400 😬 ... any leads / suggestions much appreciated?

Also still happy to be disabused re the rest but honestly not feeling the love for the 40th Anni or Black TA02SWs ? 

FRP + decent hop ups aside, they both seem like part bin compromises ? Esp when you add all the faff sorting 6mm in wholly unnecessary wheelbase issues 🙄

Ditto the original TamTech 961 + 962 - noting that scale + weight must be almost undriveable ?

So - unless you guys think I’m nuts - my next 934 after the 49400 will be a TRF 420 take on @juleo68 epic TRF 415 MSX conversion !

Then wait for 50th Anni cars in a few years time 😂

4 hours ago, SuperChamp82 said:

Also still happy to be disabused re the rest but honestly not feeling the love for the 40th

I think you would be doing yourself a disservice by not getting one.  It’s a killer value for what you get.

• Like 1

I like the 1:12 versions, pretty much all of them, in particular the rere black (ABS plastic version)

The Tamico Porsche is the most overrated kit of all Porsche kits. It literally is a standard black Porsche box (TA-02SW), opened by the Tamico staff, removed the black parts and added the green ones and then added a sheet of paper on the outside with the serial number (the rest of the box is still black Porsche ) and foil wrapped . . . . .  totally overrated. It's a 1:10 black Porsche 47362 lexan body with the green body parts and the Vaillant decals, that's it.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, lowspot said:

Tamico staff, removed the black parts and added the green ones and then added a sheet of paper on the outside with the serial number (the rest of the box is still black Porsche ) and foil wrapped . . . . .  totally overrated. It's a 1:10 black Porsche 47362 lexan body with the green body parts and the Vaillant decals, that's it.

Agreed, it may be a bit overrated.  Look at the excitement over the supreme hornets which is just a set of stickers and a box. Tamico went through the trouble to get Tamiya to do another run of green wings and Valiant stickers and there are only 333 kits available. We'll see how that plays out for collectibility years from now. I suspect it will be the most coveted of the 40th anniversary kit family. 

89BDD8E5-8A80-47A7-BC54-3D44C573EAD3_zps

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Shodog said:

Tamico went through the trouble to get Tamiya to do another run of green wings and Valiant stickers and there are only 333 kits available. We'll see how that plays out for collectibility years from now.

True - can you buy the black parts Tamico lifted out separately ? 

Add a new shell + the Black decals and you’ve arguably got the best of both Worlds ? 

29 minutes ago, SuperChamp82 said:

True - can you buy the black parts Tamico lifted out separately ? 

Add a new shell + the Black decals and you’ve arguably got the best of both Worlds ? 

If Tamico doesn’t sell the black parts there are a few others selling the parts on ePay. I’ve picked up 6 spare body kits black Porsche decals

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Shodog said:

If Tamico doesn’t sell the black parts there are a few others selling the parts on ePay. I’ve picked up 6 spare body kits black Porsche decals

You can buy the green parts and the Vaillant decal set on ebay for 50bucks as a set. Then get a black Porsche,  tada, a Tamico Porsche for half the money and you still can sell the remaining parts on ebay.

Don't get me wrong, if you like 1:10 Porsche than this is a beautiful one. I only don't like the fact that every random limited edition is treated like a holy grail. In this case, I know the guy who packed the kits in Berlin in their warehouse.

I have lived just around the corner at that time. It was from the same black Porsche palette and was packed just how the orders came in. 

• Like 1

You’re a bad influence @Shodog - NIB 40th Ann, Black and Tamico Ann now fully hopped up NIP and admired daily 😂

The market price of each def seems to be rising irrespective of original complexity / core value - and that’s despite friends on here helping me out plus Japanese importing ...

Finding NIP, period correct Tamiya r/c, batteries and hop ups was also a v expensive pita 🙄 

Some are now hens teeth after only 2 - 4 years ... which says a lot about Tamiya’s plans for limited editions. Why sell a beautifully crafted 30th Ann if you can get people to pay for similar through a cheaper kit + way more profitable hop ups ? 

Anyway, ending up with TRF grade kits was all part of the fun - and they’ll be built like the rest of my collection when I finally retire !

Now for the 49400 ... 😇

• Like 1