MadInventor

Looking for Carson pinion info

I've been putting together a G6-01 today, got half way through the build and realised that I don't have a steel pinion for it, doh!

I've had a quick look for steel pinions, the only manufacturer readily available in the UK seems to be RW racing, I've got lots of their pinions, but the tooth width in 0.8 module is narrower than the standard Tamiya pinion and I'm guessing that 0.6 module is going to be the same. Given that it's going to have to drive both rear axles through one plastic idler gear with 0.6mod pitch teeth, I'm a bit concerned that the lack of surface contact area due to the narrower teeth might cause the plastic gear to strip. The only other source of pinions I've found is Carson pinions, which I can get from Germany, but a quick look on the internet and I can't find any info about tooth width. If anyone has a 0.6 module carson steel pinion kicking about, I'd be very grateful if some could measure the width of the teeth and post it up here (in mm rather inches if possible ;) ).

Thanks,

Does it have to be steel though? The only aluminium pinions I've had trouble with are the Tamiya ones made from cheese. All other brands, even cheap chinese ones from ebay, show zero wear unless sand gets into the gearbox - at that point the plastic spur is a throwaway job regardless of which pinion material you are running. If you're pressed for time I'd just go down to your LHS and give whatever they've got a shot.

I'd really like steel to be honest. What I'm particularly bothered about is the tooth width from side to side, as narrower pinions are more likely to shred the plastic gears.

I am running a RW Racing pinion in my G6-01 and it doesn't seem to be wearing the spur unduly despite it's slightly narrow width. Both pinion and spur still look good as new and I've been driving it for about a year. 

Ended up ordering an RW racing one from modelsport. When I looked at my son's GF-01 to see if it still had the aluminium pinion in it I found I'd already put one in that, and that was 4mm wide compared with the Tamiya cheese special at 5mm...…….