Uranium

an off road TB05?

not gonna lie, i've lost interest in RC for the past few months.

but i guess that's natural if you do something over and over again, so why not try something new?

i *might* get a new chassis, and recently my heart has been set on a TB05, because that's better than a TT02. and i'm deathly afraid of my neighbors, so i'm not gonna go out there where a few people can see me. our front yard is particularly spacious and the driveway is just rocks and dirt, so i figured that getting a TB05 and making it able to go off road would be a blast. would that be possible/a good idea? i'd like to know, any bit of information is appreciated. thanks.

The stock diffs are a little weak for that type of abuse, but with some hop ups, you should be fine. Of course, the XV01 is made for your application and is a real champ.

• Thanks 1

It's possible since the TB05 uses shaft. But you will probably have to do some minor shaving under the chassis to allow more droop to extend ride height. Then upgrade to longer shocks (60-65mm) for longer damping play.

• Thanks 1

Saw this in RCTech. Looks like it's been set up for rally

spacer.png20191001_223729_b0a8ed1b0ac589910a0449bb

With a lot of hop ups too. Looks very nice.

• Like 1

I’m sure it’s possible to make the TB05 off road, but a XV01 is built for that, and it’s handling is way more fun than any touring layout. Gearboxes are sealed for off road use, slipper available if you want it. 

that being said if your hearts set on TB05 I don’t have any problems with you getting one and cutting it up for off road use. 

• Thanks 1

The TB-05 comes with spur gear and pinion cover by the way. So that's safe from debris.

But like Juls said, the XV-01 is made for rally. Although I have an FF-03 converted to rally version, it's very balanced and drives like a charm on and off road.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Juls1 said:

I’m sure it’s possible to make the TB05 off road, but a XV01 is built for that, and it’s handling is way more fun than any touring layout. Gearboxes are sealed for off road use, slipper available if you want it. 

that being said if your hearts set on TB05 I don’t have any problems with you getting one and cutting it up for off road use. 

I have TB03 converted for front motor - similar layout to TB05 - and it handles well, too.

TB05 needs some cutting, but it can achieve better articulation thanks to longer arms and driveshafts.

• Thanks 1