Ridge

Dual Ridge brushless setup

Hi all, have spent a lot of time reading here so though it was time to contribute!

As a child I had an original grasshopper as my second RC car, can’t recall what the first one was!  That’s long gone but I still have the M01 Mini I got as a birthday present. Also have an M02 chassis I plan to build up soon. Both will be on modern esc and radio gear, though I do still have the acoms set from the mini, just appears it no longer works. After building a Plasma Edge 2 for my girlfriend’s son I decided I needed a piece of the action again!

So far it’s as follows:

TT02B Dual Ridge in pearl white

Futaba 3PV & R304SB Radio

Futaba S3014 waterproof servo

GPM Ballraced steering

Full bearings

Blue star dish wheels on the way

Will add metal gears for the new motor

6FDD0CA1-A88E-490D-9D85-71384E934453.thumb.jpeg.5731103a6d7390df8a27aecd576917f7.jpeg

Ive run it once and fancy more power. I plan on going for a hobbywing 3652 5400kv combo which I know/think is way over the top. My thinking here is as I’m still running NIMH I won’t be getting anything like full power from it, plus I can tone it down on the transmitter for normal running but have the option of it being silly fast if I want to get a lipo. 

As the motor combos are the same price on all power options am I heading in the right direction or am I missing something?

edit: believe I am missing something on doing some further reading. Need to decide between 3300, 4000 or 5400kv. 

Welcome to Tamiya Club.  

I'd go with 4000kv at most.  It's still an overkill.  As you know, you won't get the full power if the combo comes with 60A ESC.  You would need both 80A ESC, + LiPo to utilize 4000KV properly.  

Assuming that you would get LiPo + 80A ESC someday, 4000kv motor would be there for you.  4000kv x 6.8v (LiPo under load) = 27200 rpm.  Silver can you have is rated for 14,000 rpm.  Sport Tuned motor is 18,000 rpm.  So, 4000kv should be 10,000 rpm above that.  

Having said that, though, I usually go for 3300kv, because I don't plan on upgrading 60A ESC.  The faster it goes, the more tempted I would be to gun it.  For me, speed is less important than not seeing my cars explode on impact.  3300kv x 6.8v = 22440 rpm.  If the KV rating is to be trusted from a Chinese brand, it's a clear step up from Sport Tuned, even Super Stock (because brushless has more torque).  

Thanks, that gives me something to think about. From the research I’ve done lower kv should mean more torque and I didn’t realise the esc wouldn’t release the motors full potential. There is probably a lot to be said for the 3300kv in that case, or a better matched combo. 

Decided to go for the 4000kv 3652 motor and the max10 sct 120a esc, that way should I ever want to run 3s lipo I’m covered. Probably in a different car as it’s way over the top but at least I’m covered and have headroom. Appears from research that a 22t pinion with the standard 70t spur should work. Those I’ve seen running that combo appear to have bigger wheels so may try the 23t too, either way I’ll have stacks of headroom and can reduce the throttle limit on the tx so it’s more manageable for bashing. Looking forward to tinkering!

Finally getting round to getting this sorted after having some fun in stock form. 

I have some 1000 and 1300 cst damper oil, frp damper stays, df02 / tt01 gear parts, 3racing high torque servo saver and some shims on the way. I figure it’s best to get it’s handling pretty much sorted before dumping a whole load of power in it. The chassis is hitting the ground hard on jumps so I need to sort that on this and my girlfriend’s sons plasma edge 2, I’ll keep all the spares taken off the dual ridge for when the inevitable happens to his. Not going to shim his either as I’m assuming a bit of slop will help on impact!

I'm going to go the whole hog, 120a sct esc, 4000kv motor and a big 3s lipo. Struggling to make sense of the gearing but will order the 22/23 and 27/29 pinion sets to play with, will be using the stock spur, motor mount and driveshafts etc for the time being. 

Metal DF02 gearboxes in TT01 cases as seems to be the done thing. I’ve searched a lot and not found anyone saying that have broken the stock prop shaft or dog bones.  I do realise it’s going to be far too much power but as this is my only recent experience of RC I suspect I’m not prepared for just how ‘too much’ it’s likely to be. 

40 minutes ago, Ridge said:

Metal DF02 gearboxes in TT01 cases as seems to be the done thing. I’ve searched a lot and not found anyone saying that have broken the stock prop shaft or dog bones.  I do realise it’s going to be far too much power but as this is my only recent experience of RC I suspect I’m not prepared for just how ‘too much’ it’s likely to be. 

Oh ok,  sorry i must of missed you saying you converted to the gravel hound gearbox. I run my tt02b ms with a castle 4600kv  on 2s 25t pinion & 64t spur. That can be plenty, i have run 30-32t pinions abd it was just to much and even in hot weather the esc shut down

No worries, have them but haven’t fitted yet, planning a day of rebuilding with all the new bits. Once the chassis and drivetrain are sorted I’ll add power.  That’s why I’m going for the 120 sct esc, it’s rated to take the 4000kv motor with a 3s lipo so I’ll be getting its full potential hopefully. They say they have thermal protection etc so I think it’ll be a good intro while I’m getting up to speed with things. 

So I’ve finally got round to having a play with this again. It’s got some much heavier weight shock oil in it and the frp shock towers so I have a little more ride height. Seems a bit understeery but that’s something I can play with. Also have a high torque servo saver and blue star dish wheels just because!

Metal diffs are now in, I followed a guide on here for packing one with more anti wear grease than the other for an lsd effect which has made a big difference. 

Now for the motor, I’ve had to do it on a budget so goolrc it is. I’ve ordered the 3674 2650kv 120a esc & program card combo, I’m aware the motor is oversized but I’m hoping to have a play with gearing and a lipo at some stage. I also ordered a 4300kv 3660 motor, this I’m assuming will be more suited to the nimh. I also have a 30mm fan for the motor, idea stolen from @nbTMM

Gearing wise I have a jazrider motor mount coming, the stock 70t spur, a tt01 61t spur modified to fit, 17, 19, 22 and 23t pinions for the 3660 motor and a 26t pinion for the 3674 motor. 

I’m not entirely sure what’s going to work but hopefully it’s enough to learn with.