Hi all, I have recently acquired a sand rover restoration project listed wrong in Belgium, anyway I have taken the underside panel offf to reveal a different gear setup to the usual. I wondered if this is a kind of hop up or aftermarket improvement. Or just the previous owner improvising. Pictures are attached. Any help greatly appreciated. 

Also if anyone needs any sand rover parts I have s9me spares for sale that came with it 

B063C90A-8541-4EE6-ADFD-04777416D170.jpeg

CDA7DDB8-816F-43A2-93AE-D8B06194F95C.jpeg

• Like 1

Not stock but not a direct aftermarket package. It seems the previous owner made the mod himself. Other than that, the mod looks VERY interesting! As Kev was asking I would like to know if it works and more pictures if it actually works :)

On 11/3/2019 at 5:05 PM, KEV THE REV said:

Looks like a homemade mod as the spur gear looks 'cut about' . Does it work ?

Yes surprisingly it does, that’s what made me wonder if it was an actual hop up. 

On 11/3/2019 at 7:29 PM, mongoose1983 said:

Not stock but not a direct aftermarket package. It seems the previous owner made the mod himself. Other than that, the mod looks VERY interesting! As Kev was asking I would like to know if it works and more pictures if it actually works :)

On 11/3/2019 at 7:29 PM, mongoose1983 said:

Hi there, yeah it does work. You can here a bit of play when in motion however it does work. I have quite a few spare gears so used those in my restoration. This chassis was only a parts diner and then I have my nicer sand rover I am restoring.

many thanks for the help everyone 👍

I've never seen a diff in this chassis before, its a pretty cool mod.

Interesting that someone went to all that effort yet didn't fit bearings. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It would be good if we can collectively identify the donor parts as well. The diff gears and outdrives look decidedly kyosho, and the red diff housing looks it has come out of a belt drive car and had the drive teeth for the belt removed. as for the white plastic drive gear itself, no idea what that's come out of.

As others have said, it's a cool looking and well designed modification. Would have made a nice update for a proper re-release Sand Rover.

• Like 1