NobbySideways

Brushed ESC Recommendation

Good Morning,

I've got a TT02 for my Son for christmas but need a good value ESC. I've got a Tamiya Brushed/brushless ESC in my TT02 and its fine, but if there are better options for similar money then I'm interested. The TT02 has a Torque Tuned (silver can, black sticker!).

Anyone have any suggestions please? It would be run on 2s LiPo, but the ability to run 3s later down the line would be a nice-to-have feature. We use Lipo alarms so no low-voltage cutoffs or similar are required. I'm in the UK if that makes a difference. I would be soldering XT60 connectors on to match our current stock of batteries.

Thanks

For the past several years,  Hobbywing Quicrun 1060 has become the go-to ESC.  Because it's cheap, effective, and has most functions you'd want.  

It's usually sold for $17-25 USD. (The cheapest I got was about $15.60 when I bought 3-4 ESCs together) 

It's brushed only.  It's smaller than Tamiya TBLE-02S.   

(Below photo was taken after soldering XT60s, but it shows 3 TBLE-02s, and Quicrun 1060 on the far right) 7THwfoz.jpg

It can handle brushed motors down to 12t.  (18t on 3S).   

1060 is sold by various other makers under different names.  As far as I can tell, Reedy SC550 is the same ESC.  Even manuals show the same diagrams.  Though Reedy was a bit conservative in its specs like 15 turn.  You see how 1060 says "waterproof" where as Reedy says "water resistant."  (I'm thinking Hobbywing must have tested theirs in the snow, and Reedy in the summer.)  

bMyHwhq.jpg

It has LiPo or NiMH cutoffs too, if you choose either LiPo or NiMH with the jumper tab.  

ZXaqC91.jpg

• Like 1

On 11/4/2019 at 2:20 PM, Juggular said:

Hobbywing Quicrun 1060

@Juggular Do you know if this ESC has double-pump reverse or time-delay reverse?  I use Tamiya TEU-101/104/105 and TBLE-02S ESCs usually and they all have double-pump reverse which I like much better than timed-reverse.  Thanks.

• Like 1

Depends on the jumper position.

F/B/R is double tap

F/B  urm, no reverse..

F/R just goes straight into reverse, neutral is drag brake. I use this in my boomer, and set the reverse end point on the trans to act as an adjustable brake.

• Like 1

On 11/12/2019 at 4:49 PM, Wooders28 said:

F/R just goes straight into reverse, neutral is drag brake. I use this in my boomer, and set the reverse end point on the trans to act as an adjustable brake.

I did not know that you could do that.  I'll give that a try.  Thanks for the info!  

• Like 1