Sign in to follow this  
graemevw

Lamborghini lp500s

Whats the deal with these?

I know there was 58005 and 58008. 008 was on the competition chassis.

Whats the difference between the chassis apart from wheels? Did 005 have rubber tyres?

005 white body?

There was a rere body set, when was it released? I believe this had clear rear lights as opposed to clear red?

What are tyre options for these?

Any period hop ups? Motors? Speed controllers? 

I assume chassis spares arent too bad to find but body parts will be apart from the odd expensive body set.

If you were restoring one, especially 008, i assume box art is really the only way to go?

Doesnt seem to be too much info on these out there so trying to learn all there is to know about these two lamborghinis.

Believe the nonCS chassis would be similar to Porsche 936's chassis, which was a straight sided slab of aluminium with the radio tray bolted on top. CS chassis was waisted like a coke bottle. 

NonCS had phone dial wheels with rubber tyres, think they were treaded. CS had Countach rear foams and Diplo fronts. 

CS ran 540 motor; can't remember if nonCS only got 380 in the kit.

CS body had a chrome wing?

Did nonCS get the 4X C cell holder? 

Bodyset/s were repopped in very ltd qty as some Japan show special product, think it was early 2000s probably 2002/2003ish.

Period hopup that made the biggest performance difference would be the 540SD Black Motor with motor mount set. Or perhaps the 7.2V hump pack vs the 6V flat pack which was std. Ball bearings were available individually.

• Like 1

From what ive read, i think it had ball bearings as standard, in the rear axle and front wheels. I may be wrong though.

The black motor and mount, is the mount any different, or where they sold as a pair for replacing 380 motors?

I should have one to restore soon. What is peoples opinion on box art? It comes with new decals so i need to decide if i should go 100% box art or paint it blue like the 58005. I prefer the blue, but there reasonably rare so maybe i should stick to black, especially as it comes with new genuine decals.

The chrome wing is poor though, i never liked it, i could paint it black like the real car. Why did tamiya do it chrome anyway??

Same sort of thing with the wheels, the 58005 wheels are much nicer, but the one im waiting for seems to have good tyres so again, i guess i should keep it original.

One thing is for certain, it 100% wont be red!

The CS seems to have come with a solid spur gear and a diff, any idea why they gave both? Cant imagine it drives well without a diff.

If anyone has any pics of lp500s that i probably wont have already found online, post them up.

Ive wanted a lp500s for 15 years and it seems i may have eventually found one. Im somewhat excited!

Hopup Blackmotor with Mount was the same mount as from CS; to replace 380 motor mount in nonCS cars.

Yeah had forgotten CS had a no-diff plain gear tuning option, whereas nonCS 380S motor mount had an idler/reduction gear option for slower running. :) 

CS Diplo wheels did have ball bearings by looks of the manual. Not sure on rear pod... we did buy that BlackMotor with motor mount hopup and that only had bushings if memory serves.

NonCS front end had the knuckles held in the black servo tray. CS had separate knuckle mounts bolt directly to the waisted chassis plate.

According to 05 manual http://www.competitionx.com/pdf/vehicle-manuals/tamiya/tamiya-lamborghini-countach-lp500s-manual.pdf the LP500S was built for Walter Wolf in 2 units, 1 red 1 blue.

Paint yours however you wish :D 

• Like 1

I think the black motor mount is a bit different from the CS. Motor mounted on opposite side, fixing holes slightly different and is different shape on base. 

regards

Jez