Just getting all the bits and bobs together to start my Asterion. I have a couple of questions:

1 Whats the best spec of servo for this chassis. High torque or High speed?? Also I seem to have read somewhere that a low profile one is best though I cant see any mention of this in the instructions?

2 I quite like the wheels but the tyres are to be added to the pile of others exactly the same that came with CC01, Sandshaker etc. I think I could supply a race circuit with crash barriers made out of unused tyres.. I believe there are 3 Tamiya options, Rally Block, Rally block (soft) and Mud Block. Any recomendations? I'm leaning towards the Rally Block to start with as a good general purpose tyre? Maybe non Tamiya:o

3 I'm going to put a Sport Tuned (silver or Black tbc) in it and inted to get a steel pinion 27T I believe. Is that ok or should I go for a different size with the better motor

4 The diff oil and shock oil are the same. For general use is there any benefit in heavier/stiffer oil for the diffs. Do they leak or is it a myth. What about good old fasioned axle grease packed in to give a limited slip effect?

Other than that I'm going to build it stock even doing a box art body which is unusual for me. Only thing is its not the box that it came in ???? Might also do a Bowler Wildcat as the Kamtec body is the right wheelbase and I think is the Wildcats whiskers!!

Looking forward to building this as its a bit more complex than my previous builds. Fingers crossed

You might find this topic worth a read, even though it is about an on-road rather than a T.

Bear in mind that the tyres give the truck a lot of its raised ride height. If you want that look, you will need a decent sidewall.

In it I linked the Blackholesun site which is a great resource.

I'm not even sure what I have put in my Asterion for the servo! Will see if I have a photo.

For a different motor you will need long motor wires - not a problem if you can (de)solder.

I'm a fan of that Wildcat shell.

3DD88C3F-4A28-4B75-BB84-C63171CA99BF.jpg

• Like 1

IMG_20191105_213604.jpg

This shows a Futaba S3003 installed in the Asterion - not much space for anything larger.

How could I forget deliberating the same question?

thanks for that. Soldering not a problem. Great looking Wildcat. What chassis is that ? an what are the wheels and tyres?

Thanks! That was my first RC.

It is on a TL01 chassis, CVA shocks with long bottom eyes. The tyres are Tamiya, I think they are the standard Parejo tyres, so part number 9805481/19805481.

The wheels are these - 

FCB7F33C-B6AD-4ACA-A707-2BEB8FEF7685.jpg

I bought them from Banzai Hobby in Japan - got the idea from another forum member. You need something with enough offset to fill the arches as the shell is pretty wide. Or a wider track to start with.

I’m looking forward to the build thread on this BD 👍

If I had the spare time or cash I’d buy an XV01 for sure. 

Right, everything ordered ready to build. Will start a thread when I open the box properly. Found the wheels though not ordered. Will wait til I get to doing the Wildcat

2 hours ago, Grumpy pants said:

cash I’d buy an XV01 for sure.

Good price from Tamico if you go for T versionB)

Just ordered all the bits I need, servo (thanks to @Badcrumble) for pointers, Tyres ditto, paint, pinion, and Sanwa receiver. Also orderd a set of Stickers from MCI for the Chevy S10 as I like the original styling. However there is one little twist in that I have ordered Cherry Red for the front half of the Truck rather than blue. As a result the Red Flash on the side may clash. MCI offer a neat colour swap and as the Flash and the Chevrolet logo are the only items that I can see in red I have swapped them to black. No extra charge unless you go for metallic colours. Hopefully will start a build thread once its all here.

• Like 2