moffman

What should I do? (this is doing my head in)

Bear with me on this one! I have a blitzer beetle metallic special which I've had for an age (well for about 15+ years) unbuilt perfect condition the problem I have is I'm itching to build it now I have a good display cabinet/shelves after a very long haul of massive house renovations (by no means massive house just a massive bill at the end of it🤯)and the blitzer chrome will look perfect amongst my humble collection but I'm torn between keeping it unbuilt and its nothing to do with cashing in on a unbuilt kit in years to come because at the end of the day it's not an expensive kit anyway and it's not how I roll! I don't think on the cars I've sold in the passed that I've ever made money infact probably lost money because they've only been sold because of space or change of hobby direction and my core collection of a about 8 cars including the blitzer beetle chrome has always stayed with me! Should I build it? I've got a pink acto-power and hi-cap dampers although not sure if the dampers will fit but I think the motor will look pretty cool in it because it's totally exposed! 

20190504_102020.jpg

• Like 2

Build it.

Look at it.

Smile on the outside, smile on the inside.

This is a hobby, it's meant to be enjoyed. You have a job that generates income (I presume), enjoy building and admiring this gorgeous looking model.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, lsear2905 said:

Build it.

Look at it.

Smile on the outside, smile on the inside.

This is a hobby, it's meant to be enjoyed. You have a job that generates income (I presume), enjoy building and admiring this gorgeous looking model.

Yep it is gorgeous! and although it's a blitzer beetle it's like a total different car tamiya really did spend time designing this special edition!

Pretty obvious what the consensus is here, I say build it as well.

I have a number of NIB kits which I've had for a number of years. Most of them overtime will get built at some point. Theres only a couple that I probably wont build (Like my original NIB Fox for e.g.) I want to keep that one NIB as it's nice to have a reminder what it was like when I opened up my original back in the 80's (which I built and ran the gizzards out of, and its still with me also).

• Like 3

Count me in as part of the "build it" group as well.  I suppose it depends on the model (rarity, vintage or no) and considering that the chassis is quite common, I think the most rare bit would be the chrome body.  Building as a display model would in no way devalue that.  Build, enjoy the process and admire the diplay.

• Like 1

Mechanical Speed Controller with ceramic resister!  

Ah, I remember the smell of the resister working.  

The question is, are you happy keeping it as a stash for the future?  Or would you be happier to see it working?  I always found it depressing to see widows putting pristine stuff on ebay after old people died. (hopefully that's not going to happen to any member for a long time...) I'd be happier to see used cars that saw lots of dirt.  But some people want to keep it "new" forever.  That's also cool. It won't age as fast as a dog.  So if the concept of "new" makes you happy, don't build it. (I'd build it, even just to admire it)  

• Like 1

I'd like to make two additions to the build, admire enjoy theme - you should also take photos and post online!

and a third one, if it were me, I'd want to run it as well, even if it was just once.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, yogi-bear said:

I'd like to make two additions to the build, admire enjoy theme - you should also take photos and post online!

and a third one, if it were me, I'd want to run it as well, even if it was just once.

I will definitely put it on the forum when/if I build it 👍

• Like 2

5 hours ago, mtbkym01 said:

Pretty obvious what the consensus is here, I say build it as well.

I have a number of NIB kits which I've had for a number of years. Most of them overtime will get built at some point. Theres only a couple that I probably wont build (Like my original NIB Fox for e.g.) I want to keep that one NIB as it's nice to have a reminder what it was like when I opened up my original back in the 80's (which I built and ran the gizzards out of, and its still with me also).

I think you kinda hit the nail on the head with my dilemma (obviously light hearted dilemma more important things going on in the world) I've kept it because I bought it from a local hobby shop that's long gone years ago and I wanted the blitzer beetle but the shop owner ( so I heard now sadly no longer with us) pulled this one out and said how about this one at no extra cost! I had a old lunchbox it was going to replace but instead I give the lunchbox a overhaul with the radio gear for the blitzer and a new body etc!

• Like 2

Sorry to throw this in the mix (and I can't believe my view, all mine are runners,I don't do shelfers!!) 😬

It sounds like you have more of a connection with it as a kit (hence the dilemma), I'd be tempted to get another for display / runner purposes, and display the kit as is.

• Like 2

i have the same dilema with my gold lunchbox and metalic pumkin i brought them both from my lhs when they was first released.

i remember with the lunchbox i first brought 2 kits when they was first re/re and built one and then put one away but when the gold version came out i asked my lhs if they would order the gold and swop it for the other lunchbox i had and he said not probs. at the time i got it i did not know if i was gonna build it so i put it away to decide and still to this day i get it out every couple of months and slobber over it for a while then put it away again i think the only metalic on i would build if i could get my hands on one would be the king hauler chrome edition

• Like 1

Build it....display it. Buy a rere Blitzer....build it....run the snot out of it.

Everyone should have a blitzer chassis beater.

• Like 2

Thanks guys for the positive feedback/comments I think that's a overwhelming build and display which I probably will do and I suppose when you think about it and a few of you guys have said why leave it in the box in bits just build it and show it and I can't remember the last time I built a rc buggy with a manual speed controller and resistor and two servos 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alwb68 said:

Build it.

Who doesn’t enjoy a build.

Yeah your right and I don't need to put any effort into getting the right paint job on the body!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

BUUIIIIIIIILLLLDDDDD IIIIIIIITTTTTTTTTTTAAARRGGHHHH!!!!!

I don't do NIB....too weak willed.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, moffman said:

Yeah your right and I don't need to put any effort into getting the right paint job on the body!

You won’t regret it.

• Like 1

There is a chrome blitzer shell for sale on ebay right now... you could maybe buy that and keep your NIB one just in case.

• Like 1