Re-Bugged

Renault 5 Turbo 'Coming soon' spotted

I saw tamiya had mentioned this happening but had no idea about date, i was hoping before christmas, but feb isnt too bad i guess.

M05?  I love Renault 5 Turbo!!!  Do it right please!!!!

They got it wrong in 2010.  They are just going to re-do the wrong?    

AjfwKKH.jpg

Renault 5 turbo's rear was wider than the front.  

But M-05Ra back then (84227), didn't have wider track for the rear.  Recessed rear wheels looked silly on that Tamiya kit.   

(below video shows how to fix it)  

Even 1984's Renault 5 Turbo had wider rear.  

l6E1VAh.jpg

But the new one has a different item number (47435). 

Does that mean it's got wider track for the rear wheels?  

If they were going to make it right, why didn't they use RWD M-08?  

M05 is a front motor, front wheel driven chassis.   

D1ipufr.jpg

But Renault 5 turbo is famous for having the engine in the rear, driving rear wheels!  

Jp7an0H.jpg

It's like they are intentionally trying to get it wrong: "You want to make it right? Buy 2 of our wrong kits and swap them!"   

(or... maybe they thought Renault Five should be matched with M-Five?)  

I love Renault 5 Turbo.  But giving a FWD chassis to a world-famous RWD car?  To sell to car guys?  That's like saying, "Shelby Cobra? It's same as Toyota Prius. They both have 4 tires, don't they?"  I hope Tamiya isn't trying to insult customers' intelligence... (Oh, Tamiya, why are thou hate me so?)  

They should have all the parts.  Maybe they can use TL01 arms and dog bones on M-08.  They'd have a fresh and worthy re-release of 1984's shell.  I'm disappointed at Tamiya's laziness.  (I've cut a lot of carbs, but I think I'll go grab a bottle of beer now...)  

RwwgrO7.jpg

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Juggular said:

It horrible how badly they botched that awesome car. They did the same thing with the Alpine A110 :angry:.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, topforcein said:

i like the 5 turbo but i don't like the m chassis

Same, but i will buy one, ill fix the rear track, and it will sit on the shelf. It just looks great! Faaaar better than the mk1 golf which just looks goofy.

I assume this body could go on an original chassis if one could be found?

7 hours ago, Saito2 said:

It horrible how badly they botched that awesome car. They did the same thing with the Alpine A110 :angry:.

They did sort of make up for it with the later release on the m06 chassis which seems to suit it very well and has tge correctly driven wheels at least.

That Renault on an m05 looks a bit of a mess though. 

• Like 2

Never mind the chassis, the body on this thing is awful with a woeful lack of detail. This is one of those very few kits that should never have been given a re-release.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Wandy said:

Never mind the chassis, the body on this thing is awful with a woeful lack of detail. This is one of those very few kits that should never have been given a re-release.

Hmmm, really? Ive never seen one in the flesh. They look good in pics.

Ill investigate some more before i consider buying one then, unless they are as cheap as the golfs are now.

53 minutes ago, Wandy said:

I wouldn't be surprised, considering it's from 1984. (though I hoped it wasn't the case)  

I'll also wait and see. 

(I wonder if the front bumper is a separate plastic piece? That seems a bit too complicated for vacuum-forming)  

1JtIeDT.jpg

16 minutes ago, Juggular said:

I wouldn't be surprised, considering it's from 1984. (though I hoped it wasn't the case)  

I'll also wait and see. 

(I wonder if the front bumper is a separate plastic piece? That seems a bit too complicated for vacuum-forming)  

1JtIeDT.jpg

It is a separate piece yes. The rere body on mo5 was exactly the same as the original i believe. 

The new rere is just selling more of the original rere. Why it has a new number i dont know.

• Like 2

Its a good looking car for sure. I have always been a fan of the 1:1, being the forbidden fruit that they are in the USA. When the new ones come out I will be sure to design some appearance parts for printing. I also remember that article. I have one of the original re-re's unbuilt in the attic along with an M05  Alpine 110.

I had always intended to build it backwards though, with the motor in the back . Has anyone else done this? Do the lego pieces align when assembled in this manner?

22 hours ago, Juggular said:

M05?  I love Renault 5 Turbo!!!  Do it right please!!!!

AjfwKKH.jpg

Renault 5 turbo's rear was wider than the front.  

It’s not a kit on my radar but I see what you mean, a bit of a half measure to be called finished. 
Maybe a TA02SW from the Porsche’s would have been a better approach?

7206A488-8CD2-43BC-B8B8-DEF2B6DC893A.md.

9 hours ago, J@mes said:

I’ll have one, I’m a fan

TL01 arms on the back of the M05ra to get the wide track is mentioned on Tamiya blog about the original rere 

49025419728_20a7dbd5f8_b.jpg

https://tamiyablog.com/2011/11/renault-r5-turbo-a-french-sportscars-icon/

not too shabby

Well at least someone’s happy 👍🏻

• Haha 1

I hope they release it as a body set this time around.. I’d like to paint one up in Rothmans /Phillips livery for TCS concours in April. It will sit on my M08 with widened rear.. just for picts  and then go back to normal rear stance for the race. 

1E72800B-00C5-4171-85BE-363A984AB7E0.jpeg

I agree with all of the criticism against it because I feel it's pretty valid! Very foolish to just plop it on a FWD chassis, if could be a real money maker if it was done properly. Surprised they haven't tried to capitalise on that sort of thing.

Unfortunately I'm also going to be part of the problem because If I have the means and the permission I am buying one + a spare body set. I began making my own version out of a BSR M-rage chassis + montech shell. I was going to take out the centre shaft and the front diff for rear (ish) motor, RWD. I got around the rear stance issue using wide wheel hexes on the rear (not shown in pic)

spacer.png

• Like 1

Well, at least it will still be cheap. Pre orders are £125.

Ill probably put a more appropriate body on the chassis and either get another M for the renault or do something silly like a nitro converted mardave .

I have fixed what Tamiya didn’t bother with.. made the R5 look right!  

EF8F3162-0EB0-4122-B9BC-B76CEBE1A7A5.jpeg

E1640625-0509-42EC-B9E1-0076BCB700AC.jpeg

FA388BDD-A556-4340-9D9A-4B29FE697B18.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

That looks perfect!!! Really spot on.

What rear arm set up did you use? And which wheels?

Stock arms with wide plastic hex that comes with TT.. I think they measure + 8mm offset. Rims are old Ride rims that had + 2mm offset.   Rear wheel nut is obviously not fully on. 

Car is for TCS Concours so it won’t be making any rounds on the track ;)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Raman36 said:

Stock arms with wide plastic hex that comes with TT.. I think they measure + 8mm offset. Rims are old Ride rims that had + 2mm offset.   Rear wheel nut is obviously not fully on. 

Car is for TCS Concours so it won’t be making any rounds on the track ;)

There is a special wheel nut set from Tamiya for this case. Have the same hexes on my R5 together with wheel nut set 53448. No problem to run it this way. O.k., after Winning the concours tomorrow Raman!:D

All the best luck for it!

By the way, did you use the screenprintdigital sticker set, or anotherone?

Looks ace.

Yes the serrated nut.. I have them on cars that I run and didn’t have extras.

Decals were printed by a CSeils from RCTech.. I used him on my Alfa and other projects 

• Like 1