graemevw

Why do i now want a super sabre?

Its odd this hobby. Why does the sudden want for a car you have never liked suddenly spring up on you?

I never liked the super sabre, odd looking 80s space age thing. And yet about a month or so ago i suddenly thought 'SUPER SABRE, yeah, lets get one of them'.

Ive a suspicion the same is about to happen for hotshot 2. Never liked any of the hotshots but today that may have changed.

Why do cars we've always known but never liked suddenly start to appeal?

Maybe its because they havent been rere'd yet so they are still a less common sight, but if they were rere'd tomorrow and there were thousands around id still buy one, so its not exclusivity. 

I know the boomerang chassis well so its not an urge to discover new to me tech.

Maybe its the design mellowing with age?

Maybe what i appreciate in a design alters in time.

I dont know, but it certainly keeps me skint! 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, beefmuffin said:

You want one because they're awesome.

They look like something off of a crystal maze game.

(I guess only uk residents of a certain age will get the reference)

But yeah, i now think the same. I just dont understand why my views have changed.

• Like 1

Been wanting one since the eighties. Saw something from Tamiya Australia about a rere announced. But it is the only place I have seen it. Hope they are right though.

7 minutes ago, Klausen said:

Been wanting one since the eighties. Saw something from Tamiya Australia about a rere announced. But it is the only place I have seen it. Hope they are right though.

!!!

Im amazed they havent yet, im sure they will. Super easy rere for them.

Any chance of tracking down the mention?

The super sabre was my first rc in 1986ish. If they release it i would probably get for nostalgia. I do remember losing dogbones quite a few times. 

1 minute ago, Rb4276 said:

The super sabre was my first rc in 1986ish. If they release it i would probably get for nostalgia. I do remember losing dogbones quite a few times. 

Its just a boomerang though isnt it?

Had no issues with my vintage boomerang apart from cracking plastics.

1 minute ago, graemevw said:

Its just a boomerang though isnt it?

Had no issues with my vintage boomerang apart from cracking plastics.

Yes it is with red plastic. I did break a few knuckles too. Sold mine in the early days of ebay for decent coin

I was in the same boat till I started my collection (4WD buggies from my first car the Boomerang till the end of the Thundershot family) but then I had a few shelf spaces to fill and added a BigWig and SuperShot re re as just love them both and were out of my league back in the day. Then had to get a HS re re and suddenly I only needed the Super Sabre and HS2 to make the entire family.....and then I added the Winger as in black its just well you tell me?

20190629_171417

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Baddon said:

I was in the same boat till I started my collection (4WD buggies from my first car the Boomerang till the end of the Thundershot family) but then I had a few shelf spaces to fill and added a BigWig and SuperShot re re as just love them both and were out of my league back in the day. Then had to get a HS re re and suddenly I only needed the Super Sabre and HS2 to make the entire family.....and then I added the Winger as in black its just well you tell me?

20190629_171417

Hotshot, super hotshot, bigwig and winger have never appealed to me. They just seem to lack tamiyas normal design quality to me.

But, considering how things are going, maybe one day ill wake up and think the bigwig is the best thing ever!

Lovely collection though. The boomerang is just sooo right! Perfect car that i also think drives great. Ive had one before though and i tend to try and not own the same car twice.

55 minutes ago, graemevw said:

!!!

Im amazed they havent yet, im sure they will. Super easy rere for them.

Any chance of tracking down the mention?

It is on Instagram tamiya_australia under the info with the Renault 5 turbo rere. I cannot put in the link somehow.

5 minutes ago, Klausen said:

It is on Instagram tamiya_australia under the info with the Renault 5 turbo rere. I cannot put in the link somehow.

Oh yeah! They added #supersabre and said all they mentioned were confirmed. I commented to see if its true.

Ive seen nothing official about it though. There are alot of SS on ebay though.

1 hour ago, graemevw said:

Hotshot, super hotshot, bigwig and winger have never appealed to me. They just seem to lack tamiyas normal design quality to me.

But, considering how things are going, maybe one day ill wake up and think the bigwig is the best thing ever!

Lovely collection though. The boomerang is just sooo right! Perfect car that i also think drives great. Ive had one before though and i tend to try and not own the same car twice.

I had the same thoughts about both the Hotshot and the Bigwig, until I built them both and held them in my hand. Both are fantastic IMO. 

2 hours ago, graemevw said:

There are alot of SS on ebay though.

There are a lot of biitsa's and average condition/hard life ones that people want top money for.

Just now, Sickpup said:

There are a lot of biitsa's and average condition/hard life ones that people want top money for.

Yep.

That does seem to be all you normally find though, but now people want 2-3 times as much for them.

Over the last 4 or 5 months the prices people are asking for all tamiyas has gone through the roof!

1 minute ago, graemevw said:

Over the last 4 or 5 months the prices people are asking for all tamiyas has gone through the roof!

This has steered me more towards buying new from shops in the UK and abroad. Been after a Fox for a while but considered them a bit pricey, looked for 2nd hand part built or NIB, theres always a few about and people wanted full retail for them but couldn't guarantee they were complete. Ordered one from Hong Kong for £135 delivered.

Whats the point of buying a 2nd hand average/rough model that you can guarantee needs a new body and wheels/tyres so another £70 for top money often more than a new model, may as just buy that new rere kit.

I agree, if its been rere'd.

Seen whats happened to vanquish prices over the last few months? They have gone from 180-200 to 400-500!!

Dont think there actually selling for that often though.

The only reason I've been watching prices is I would quite like both for my collection as well.

The Super Sabre was the one Tamiya my late father showed interest in back in the day. Oh, how I tried to coerce him into getting one (strictly for himself of course ;)) but to no avail. I have a vintage one to complete my early 4wd set but would jump at the chance to get a re-release. Fingers crossed.

I have one that I would sell. Its complete except for the front bumper is missing. Gimme a couple days and I'll throw some pictures up if anyone is interested in buying it.

The Super Sabre is a very hard car to find in good condition, I have one I brought out of Japan, maybe has had 5 packs put through it. It has original MSC and AM controller , it drives very well, 

The reason they are hard to find is the Thundershot was on sale at the same time, who wanted the last of the line of the previous generation when you could have the latest and greatest,

I bought my Super Sabre not because I loved it, or always fancied one but it was the last in the Hotshot series that I didn't own, Tamiya are like Pokemon, gotta catch em all

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Klausen said:

Tamiya australia have said no to the super sabre rere. Dont know why they mentioned it, but its not on the cards as far as they are concerned.

• Sad 1