beefmuffin

One Coat Enough on Vintage Clodbuster?

Hey guys - I'm finally painting/finishing my new vintage Clodbuster body.  I was lucky enough to snag the real deal totally untouched years ago and have the bowtie/Chevy grill/tailgate and decals to finish it.  I've already put on a coat of primer and one coat of Italian Red.  It looks decent enough, but maybe the red is a little light/bright.

My question is should I definitely do another coat or two before decals or go ahead with the one coat?  I'm not the greatest painter and I noticed a little dust here and there already under the paint, so I don't want to make that progressively worse with each coat, or make some other kind of mistake and ruin it.

Thoughts?

• Like 1

I just painted a lexan body with pearl-white.  Because lexan is different from your resin body, the light kept showing through.  Besides, pearl white is not an opaque color.  So I had to spray 5 times.  

Because you say the color is light, I'm assuming the primer was white?  If it looks good, why not leave well enough alone..?  (I'm also fearful of making a mess) 

If you must have slightly more opaque/darker color, I would use a flashlight horizontally to spot shadows specks of dusts make (I get amazed at how many I find this way).  You could lightly sand them with 1000 grit paper, and then spray the second coat.  

qQcGDiE.jpg

• Like 1

As mentioned, id flat it a little and give it another coat.

Easier than sandpaper would be to get some fine scotchbrite. Its like rectangular scrubbing pads for keying automotive paint. It can be easier than using paper as it forms to the surface shape. Either will do though.

Yes! I typically will do three to four coats over primer with sufficient dry time between each coat.  

You won't get the right red color with only 1 coat. I recently painted a clodbuster body. I gave it easily 3 or 4 coats of red over white primer and a few coats of clear varnish on top.

When painting an ABS hard body, preparation and patience are key. Take your time, let the paint cure, lightly sand any imperfection before doing another coat. It should take days or even weeks to properly do it. 

Wet and dry it.

Give it another gentle coat.

Leave it for a couple of days.

Just don’t rush. We spend years collecting parts or waiting for a particular model.

Just don’t stress it.

Micro mesh is even better for flatting between coats, if not use the highest number grade wet and dry paper. Use it wet but go gently. If you have used white primer under red I reckon you may need 3 top coats to acheive the right colour. Grey primer is best for red it stops it looking pink. Whatever you do go gently with the sanding medium and try and spray in as warm and dust free area as possible. If its too cold some gloss finishes get a bloom which dulls the finish. If you get a bright sunny day outside is good. Not many of those at the moment in the UK though:(

Agree with what they all said.

It may look even now but I'd put money on you looking at in in a few weeks time under different light and noticing areas that are lighter/darker.

I always do at least 3 coats of colour and flat back with 800 wet and dry (used very wet and with lots of fresh water) between each coat. Any dust or blemish will just look bigger with more paint on it and especially under a decal. 

If you go over your top coat with very wet 1200 wet and dry you will see exactly how rippled and uneven it really is. Then once you polish it you will be sooo glad you took the time to paint it properly.

8 coats went onto my Clod. 3 light, then a flat with 1000 grit wet n dry, 3 more light coats, flat again 1500 grit. 2 heavy coats and a final flat 2000 grit, then polish. 

This was taken at the polishing stage...

20190812_220927.jpg

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Bromley said:

8 coats went onto my Clod. 3 light, then a flat with 1000 grit wet n dry, 3 more light coats, flat again 1500 grit. 2 heavy coats and a final flat 2000 grit, then polish. 

This was taken at the polishing stage...

20190812_220927.jpg

Oh, so we're doing this then are we?! Well, I see your very fine black Clod and raise you a red one ;)

IMG_0863

that was 4 coats of red, flatted back between each, then 3 coats of clear, flatted back again and then polished.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Bromley said:

haha flashbacks when i was into building 1/24 statics - actually was more worried about (over)paint runs and orange peel... dust can always be sanded/polished out. 

maybe this link helps: http://www.italianhorses.net/Tutorials/PerfectPaint/paint.htm

imho the amount of effort would be overkill for a basher, but for shelf queens i guess why not ?