cliffw0970

LiPo, Brushless & ESC Recommendations

My wife keeps asking what I want from Santa! This morning I had an idea.

I've been building and fiddling for 6 months now and starting to get the itch for more speed. Currently own a Hornet, Manta Ray, Brat and about to embark on building the Mustang TT-02.

The Brat and Hornet will stay as they are (Sport tuned and silver can on NiMH) but the Manta Ray just doesn't seem quick enough for me, way slower than the Hornet, although I put this down to the Hornet just being a live wire on the Sport Tuned and the Manta Ray being a lot more planted and 4WD. They are all ball raced etc.

So, I am going to ask Santa for a brushless motor, ESC & LiPo for the TT-02. I will likely convert the Manta Ray in the future also.

Although getting a good deal is important, I'm happy to pay for quality. Can anyone make recommendations?

Oh and a decent charger too.

Thanks, 

Hard to go past these ESC/motor combos for value and quality
https://www.hobbywingdirect.com/collections/combo-special/products/xr10-justock-esc-g2-1-combo?variant=14796877398131

I use Trackstar sensored 540/3650 size motors and have been happy with them as a cheaper alternative to hobbywing. I have a couple of the Trackstar GenII 120A escs which are a rebranded SkyRC Toro TS120A, which I also have one of. The hardware is good, although the software/programming box isn't very polished. Once in a blue moon I'll have one start acting strange and it'll be resolved by resetting to default settings with the program box.

For batteries and chargers, I've had good experience with anything Turnigy. Virtually any 2S hard case LiPo will fit the TT02, although I think you'll need a 'round' LiPo pack to fit the Manta ray. For charging I use a Turnigy Accucell 6 with a 12V, 5A laptop brick style powersupply that I purchased from a local electronics supplier. I see that they (Hobbyking/Turnigy) now offer chargers that run directly from mains as well which are based around the same charging hardware.

• Like 2

How about Hobbywing Quicrun 10BL120 ESC?  

It's a 120A ESC.  Cheap brushless combos come with 45A (which is not very useful).  3000kv motors need 60A ESC.   So, 120A is a big deal.  And it's fairly cheap too.  About $45 USD.  

I generally recommend 3000kv or 13.5t motor.  But when you have a 120A ESC, why not go a step further and get a 10.5t motor for the future need?  Actual RPM varies company to company.  But 10.5t should be about 3500 to 4000kv.  Sport Tuned is rated at 18000 RPM without load, but it goes down a lot when under load.  Brushless doesn't go down as much under load.  So 26,000 to 30,000 RPM should be enough for TT02.  

While you could get a 8.5t or 5.5t too, from 5000kv, it carries too much kinetic force.  I'm a chicken.  I see a video like below, and think, "what if there was a child playing in the grass?"  An RC car cartwheeling at 100km/h into the child's face?  Everybody will start to have a very bad day.  I'd hate to see any present (or future) Tamiya members getting into trouble, when it should be all about fun.  

I think 13.5t is plenty fun.  10.5t is fine too.  You can limit it until you get used to the high speed.  

For chargers, I use iMax B6 (I also use 12v 5A laptop power supply with it).  But many other brands perform just as well. 

For LiPo, whatever fits your car, whichever amp you want.  But get a fireproof bag for storage and charging.  This time, for the safety of you and your family.  Get a fire extinguisher too if you don't have it already (I have 1 charger, but 3 fire extinguishers).  

• Like 1

That TT02B is geared up as well. With stock gearing and a 5.5t it would only do about 50km/h. Coincidentally i have a 5.5t in my TT02B at the moment, but it's geared for about 65-70km/h top speed. Any more than that and it runs too hot.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Juggular said:

How about Hobbywing Quicrun 10BL120 ESC?  

It's a 120A ESC.  Cheap brushless combos come with 45A (which is not very useful).  3000kv motors need 60A ESC.   So, 120A is a big deal.  And it's fairly cheap too.  About $45 USD.  

I generally recommend 3000kv or 13.5t motor.  But when you have a 120A ESC, why not go a step further and get a 10.5t motor for the future need?  Actual RPM varies company to company.  But 10.5t should be about 3500 to 4000kv.  Sport Tuned is rated at 18000 RPM without load, but it goes down a lot when under load.  Brushless doesn't go down as much under load.  So 26,000 to 30,000 RPM should be enough for TT02.  

While you could get a 8.5t or 5.5t too, from 5000kv, it carries too much kinetic force.  I'm a chicken.  I see a video like below, and think, "what if there was a child playing in the grass?"  An RC car cartwheeling at 100km/h into the child's face?  Everybody will start to have a very bad day.  I'd hate to see any present (or future) Tamiya members getting into trouble, when it should be all about fun.  

I think 13.5t is plenty fun.  10.5t is fine too.  You can limit it until you get used to the high speed.  

For chargers, I use iMax B6 (I also use 12v 5A laptop power supply with it).  But many other brands perform just as well. 

For LiPo, whatever fits your car, whichever amp you want.  But get a fireproof bag for storage and charging.  This time, for the safety of you and your family.  Get a fire extinguisher too if you don't have it already (I have 1 charger, but 3 fire extinguishers).  

Plenty of info there thanks. 

Any recommendation on motor brand and model?

That TT02B is mental, probably  bit much for what I need :-)

Cheers.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, nbTMM said:

Hard to go past these ESC/motor combos for value and quality
https://www.hobbywingdirect.com/collections/combo-special/products/xr10-justock-esc-g2-1-combo?variant=14796877398131

I use Trackstar sensored 540/3650 size motors and have been happy with them as a cheaper alternative to hobbywing. I have a couple of the Trackstar GenII 120A escs which are a rebranded SkyRC Toro TS120A, which I also have one of. The hardware is good, although the software/programming box isn't very polished. Once in a blue moon I'll have one start acting strange and it'll be resolved by resetting to default settings with the program box.

For batteries and chargers, I've had good experience with anything Turnigy. Virtually any 2S hard case LiPo will fit the TT02, although I think you'll need a 'round' LiPo pack to fit the Manta ray. For charging I use a Turnigy Accucell 6 with a 12V, 5A laptop brick style powersupply that I purchased from a local electronics supplier. I see that they (Hobbyking/Turnigy) now offer chargers that run directly from mains as well which are based around the same charging hardware.

Thanks, 

Will check those out, makes sense what you are saying about the shape, I will likely order a few battery's.

Be careful about the ESC and motor combo. Dont get a stock spec, fixed timing or blinky spec. These are designed for spec class racing and for bashing arent as fun or flexible. The easiest way to go fast is to program the ESC to do it, so make sure the ESC can handle it.

Make sure the motor has adjustable timing on the endbell (most do) as it makes a big difference - too little and the car is slow, too much and it runs hot.

Also, get a programmable ESC. Most can be set to blinky mode which means they qualify for stock racing but then you can program turbo and boost and make them mental fast.

As @Juggular said, 10.5T - 13.5T seems to be a sweet spot for Tamiyas.

Trackstar do the 80amp Turbo ESC and motor combos for about US75. They work well and are about as cheap as you can get, look at Hobbyking

For a bit more look at the SkyRC TS120 (US68 shipped from RCmart) or Hobbywing BL120 and get the program card or wifi module.

Motor - for bashing just get something like Speed Passion, Trackstar, Surpass V4S etc. If you're racing then you need to spend the money a decent one. The best bang for buck atm is probably the Surpass V4S as the V5 is out now. The others are old models hemce why they're cheap.

Or if money is no object pick up Tekin, Orca, Orion, Maclan etc. They are nicer units but so expensive

Gearing - make sure that the car can be geared correctly. For a TT02 it would be a good idea to get the Yeah Racing motor mount which is adjustable (unlike the Tamiya one with fixed holes) and the high speed gear set to fit any spur gear. For the Manta ray pick up the TA02 High Speed Gears which give a couple of smaller spurs. Brushless motors need higher gearing than brushed motors

SkyRC make a range of chargers,including the imax B6 mentioned above I have the S60 and like it. I have 2 chargers and if I had realised I'd end up with 2 I would have bought a dual or quad charger from the start. In the SkyRC range look at the D100, D200, Q200 and S60 or S65. Banggood sell them too. Look at the power supply and how you will use it - will you use AC power only, or do you need DC as well. I have never used a battery to power my charger, only ever run from AC power so paying eztra for the ability to use DC doesn't make sense for me

• Thanks 1

On 11/7/2019 at 6:42 PM, Jonathon Gillham said:

Be careful about the ESC and motor combo. Dont get a stock spec, fixed timing or blinky spec. These are designed for spec class racing and for bashing arent as fun or flexible. The easiest way to go fast is to program the ESC to do it, so make sure the ESC can handle it.

Make sure the motor has adjustable timing on the endbell (most do) as it makes a big difference - too little and the car is slow, too much and it runs hot.

Also, get a programmable ESC. Most can be set to blinky mode which means they qualify for stock racing but then you can program turbo and boost and make them mental fast.

Trackstar do the 80amp Turbo ESC and motor combos for about US75. They work well and are about as cheap as you can get, look at Hobbyking

For a bit more look at the SkyRC TS120 (US68 shipped from RCmart) or Hobbywing BL120 and get the program card or wifi module.

Motor - for bashing just get something like Speed Passion, Trackstar, Surpass V4S etc. If you're racing then you need to spend the money a decent one. The best bang for buck atm is probably the Surpass V4S as the V5 is out now. The others are old models hemce why they're cheap.

Or if money is no object pick up Tekin, Orca, Orion, Maclan etc. They are nicer units but so expensive

Gearing - make sure that the car can be geared correctly. For a TT02 it would be a good idea to get the Yeah Racing motor mount which is adjustable (unlike the Tamiya one with fixed holes) and the high speed gear set to fit any spur gear. For the Manta ray pick up the TA02 High Speed Gears which give a couple of smaller spurs. Brushless motors need higher gearing than brushed motors

SkyRC make a range of chargers,including the imax B6 mentioned above I have the S60 and like it. I have 2 chargers and if I had realised I'd end up with 2 I would have bought a dual or quad charger from the start. In the SkyRC range look at the D100, D200, Q200 and S60 or S65. Banggood sell them too. Look at the power supply and how you will use it - will you use AC power only, or do you need DC as well. I have never used a battery to power my charger, only ever run from AC power so paying eztra for the ability to use DC doesn't make sense for me

On 11/7/2019 at 6:42 PM, Jonathon Gillham said:

That's Awesome, thanks. 

Can I run the below past you?

So if I go:

http://www.rcmart.com/135t-brushless-sensored-motor-outlaw-p-82744.html?cPath=1560_2231_946

and 

http://www.rcmart.com/toro-ts120a-brushless-sensored-black-p-67556.html?cPath=1560_2230_1021

or if i want something cheaper:

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/trackstar-roar-approved-1-10th-stock-class-brushless-esc-and-motor-combo-13-5t.html?___store=en_us

Thanks, 

• Like 1

I can vouch for the Toro TS120 being a good esc. The Surpass motors are supposed to be really good as well.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, cliffw0970 said:

Yes thats the exact models I was talking about. I have all of them and have found them to be really good. The TS120/Surpass combo is currently in my 2wd race buggy and it keeps up with the guys running Orion, Fantom etc.

The surpass motors are available from a number of places, so have a look at ebay, banggood.com and aliexpress as well to see which is the cheapest. That price looks pretty good though.

Those SkyRC TS120 are available from a lot of places too, but that deal with free shipping at RCMart is the cheapest I have found. 

• Thanks 1

Thought I'd use this thread as it seems fitting:

Slowly building my Re Re Top Force and getting hop ups slow but surely, have fitted the high speed gear set and one way centre diff.

Looking to get Brushless motor and Esc and was thinking Hobbywing as people seem to think they are ok. There is so many options and variants of ESC and motor but want to get a motor with a bit of kick to make things exciting and a ESC that can handle it.

For a controller was thinking of Hobbywing EZRUN Max10 SCT 120a. Any good? Ok choice?

Motor wise I'm just browsing but tell me, yes, no not compatible etc as I'm new to this also what's the difference between EZRUN, XERUN & QUIKRUN?:

Hobbywing EZRUN 3660SL 4600kV G2 Brushless Motor (too long motor length wise?)

Hobbywing EZRUN 3652SL 5400kV G2 Brushless Motor.

Hobbywing XERUN 3652SD D5.00 G2 BL Motor 5100Blk (not compatible?)

Hobbywing XERUN V10 8.5T Black G3

I think in an earlier post a Surpass was recommended so maybe a Surpass V4S 9.5T Rocket Sensored Modified Motor.

As mentioned before its seems to be a minefield out there for Esc's & motors so any recommendations and guidance is very much appreciated.

3660 is longer.  If you have a room for it, the length isn't as much of a concern.  The bigger concern is that 3600 uses thicker shaft.  Meaning, "normal" pinion gears designed for 3.14mm shafts won't fit.  You'll have to find pinion gears designed for 5mm shafts.  

I'm thinking all others should work with 120A ESC.  They seem a bit hot for old chassis.  But everybody runs on different areas.  A fast motor is good for wide open spaces.  

• Like 1

On 11/26/2019 at 9:11 AM, Oneball1971 said:

Thought I'd use this thread as it seems fitting:

Slowly building my Re Re Top Force and getting hop ups slow but surely, have fitted the high speed gear set and one way centre diff.

Looking to get Brushless motor and Esc and was thinking Hobbywing as people seem to think they are ok. There is so many options and variants of ESC and motor but want to get a motor with a bit of kick to make things exciting and a ESC that can handle it.

For a controller was thinking of Hobbywing EZRUN Max10 SCT 120a. Any good? Ok choice?

Motor wise I'm just browsing but tell me, yes, no not compatible etc as I'm new to this also what's the difference between EZRUN, XERUN & QUIKRUN?:

Hobbywing EZRUN 3660SL 4600kV G2 Brushless Motor (too long motor length wise?)

Hobbywing EZRUN 3652SL 5400kV G2 Brushless Motor.

Hobbywing XERUN 3652SD D5.00 G2 BL Motor 5100Blk (not compatible?)

Hobbywing XERUN V10 8.5T Black G3

I think in an earlier post a Surpass was recommended so maybe a Surpass V4S 9.5T Rocket Sensored Modified Motor.

As mentioned before its seems to be a minefield out there for Esc's & motors so any recommendations and guidance is very much appreciated.

The recommendations already in this thread are all good ones.

As @Juggular said above, avoid the 3660 motor for the Top Force.

That ESC is for Short Course trucks which are quite big so have more space to mount big electronics, its also sensorless so it won't be ideal in a buggy.  It also won't run 2 of those motors that you have listed as they are sensored.

Hobbywing is a great brand but they are no longer the value for money option they used to be a few years back.  Its similar with PowerHD who used to be a bufget servo brand and now are almost as much as the bigger brands.  As their reputation took off their prices went with it, so while they make fantastic gear they are almost as much as the big brands like Orion, Tekin etc.  They do have some budget options though which are suggested in this thread too, like the 10BL120 which is designed for cars and buggies.

There are other cheaper brands which offer excellent value for money and are seen at club races all the time - SkyRC, Trackstar, Surpass, JX to name a few.  The other thing is you just don't need to spend a lot of money to get good reliable electronics because rather than get the latest 13.5T motor, you can get a cheap 8.5T which will be faster anyway, and a quarter the price.  Stock or Spec class racing is the only time you need to spend a lot to get the latest and greatest gear.

So if you're building the Top Force for general running then any of the suggestions in this thread will work (I would say look at 8.5T - 13.5T motors).  If you're racing and need to meet class rules then you'll need to say what class to get a recommendation.  My one is being built with a TBLE02S and either Silvercan, 17.5T or 13.5T motor which will get swapped around depending on what I want to do with it (Speed Passion, Trackstar or Surpass motors, just stuff I have lying around).

• Thanks 1