Just out of interest, does anyone here actually use telemetry? I've no good reason to have it, no good reason to need it... but then you could say the same about my RC cars generally.... gadgets are fun....

What sort of parameters do you typically use?

• Like 1

Hi Nobby,

When purchasing my Sanwa MT4, it came with telemetry sensors for rpm and temperature.

I was curious, and tried it during some races in my TB03R , as we had to use LRP X12 engines in our regulations. These first motors were famous for getting too hot and loose magnetic field, especially the first series. So I applied the temperature sensor on the motor and adjusted the transmitter to give a warning above a certain motor temp. That helped me during training, when it´s easy to go above 5 min. race time and driving the engine too hot.

So far, this was quite a useful feature to me at that time...

Br,

Matthias

• Like 2

I haven't bothered although my Sanwa MT4S can do it.  I asked a few people around and they said that it just adds weight to the race cars and no one used it.  I then looked at the price of sensored and agreed with them.

@ruebiracer hit the nail on the head - it would be useful for keeping an eye on motor temp as even if sensors are expensive a motor is even more expensive...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

I haven't bothered although my Sanwa MT4S can do it.  I asked a few people around and they said that it just adds weight to the race cars and no one used it.  I then looked at the price of sensored and agreed with them.

@ruebiracer hit the nail on the head - it would be useful for keeping an eye on motor temp as even if sensors are expensive a motor is even more expensive...

Yes, I found it very useful, especially when equipping a new car and found a Setup for electronics, gearing and everything. When you are finished, you can for sure built out the sensors when doing the real racing. But the Sanwa sensors or Yeah racing sensors for the sanwas are neither very expensive nor add any noticeable weight. And most modern race Chassis are anyway much too light and cry for additional weight blocks in most classes...

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ruebiracer said:

Yes, I found it very useful, especially when equipping a new car and found a Setup for electronics, gearing and everything. When you are finished, you can for sure built out the sensors when doing the real racing. But the Sanwa sensors or Yeah racing sensors for the sanwas are neither very expensive nor add any noticeable weight. And most modern race Chassis are anyway much too light and cry for additional weight blocks in most classes...

Interesting, I only checked Futaba sensors and then ended up buying a sanwa radio. The Futaba sensors are about the price of a reciever, but Sanwa are really cheap, good to know. I have a couple of the telemetry recievers to...

I remember that i used to take part at a 2h fun endurance racing event. We used a Futaba voltage telemetry sensor that helped us a lot to find the perfect timeslot  for the battery changes. I also found it very usefull then.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, scoobybooster said:

I remember that i used to take part at a 2h fun endurance racing event. We used a Futaba voltage telemetry sensor that helped us a lot to find the perfect timeslot  for the battery changes. I also found it very usefull then.

Perfect application! Never thought about that during our last Endurance race. :)

But next time...

Is that for a nitro car's RX pack?

On Spektrum used to be the RX's telemetry for voltage measures the incoming volts into the RX... which if coming from an ESC with BEC won't be same as the main pack's voltage. 

Not long bought a Sanwa Exzes Z, with a 472 telemetry rx, so good to hear the views.

Do I need to buy other sensors? For some reason I though it was all built in, and took it's info off the esc?

I used telemetry with my Hitec Lynx Radio. I have a temp sensor on my motor, and my receiver has built in GPS which you can read from the transmitter.

The Lynx transmitter also lets you set an alarm on your transmitter if the temp or speed goes beyond a value you’ve set.